Desktop version
Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.

Forum rules

Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.
Post a reply

Monserrat lookout circuit

Fri 19 Aug, 2011 10:12 pm

Just a quicky....day walk, taking in Monserrat lookout, Upper Portals & returning via Yamahra creek.

Start of the track...Dry 4wd road in, manage to get my 2wd ute all the way, but wouldn't advise it.....a bit rough in places.

Graces hut with the old cattle yards in foreground, self composting toilet, bunk beds to the left & double bed in the right half. :shock: Nice

Quite a bit of burn off in the area, which made locating the un-marked track a whole lot easier.

Old growth

The view of Mt Barny from Monserrat Lookout, took my breath away.
Theres a small clearing for tents south of Monserrat summit, if you need it.

Flora along the way

Upper Portals just before the heavens opened

Rogue traveller

Sheltering from the rain & having a late lunch break....Yamahra creek campsite.

Distant showers....ending a good days walk.

Red tailed black cockatoo's, bunya pine groves along the creek, cool mountain breezes, great views....
oh & don't forget to check youself for ticks on the way out :wink:

Sunmap 25,000 series, MAROON & MT LINDESAY
Last edited by ofuros on Sun 11 Sep, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Monserrat lookout circuit

Wed 24 Aug, 2011 6:26 pm

Cool cool, sounds/looks like a sweet little circuit. I spent a night at Monserrat Lookout a couple of years after climbing up from Yamahra Creek campsite after night-fall. Amazing spot to watch the sunrise the next morning.

Whats the moisture content like out there at the moment? Im heading into Barney next week for the week so hoping its not too damp after this rainfall.

Wed 24 Aug, 2011 9:21 pm

Hi kyle,
As soon as I stumbled into that little campsite at the lookout, I thought about staying the night &
watching the morning sunrise myself....perhaps next time.
The bush was dry when i passed through, but after the last couple of days of showers thats probably changed.
Bush ticks were out in force though....take some spray with you.

Enjoy your week long break around Mt Barney.....& don't forget some pics..... :wink:

Cheers,
ofuros

Mon 17 Oct, 2011 2:55 pm

Looks great!!!
What track notes or GPS file were you following?
cheers

Mon 17 Oct, 2011 7:58 pm

Hi shardie,
track notes.....Take a Walk in S.E.Qld, p303, upper portals circuit.

Its a enjoyable little walk, would follow kyles lead nextime though & camp on top
to catch the morning suns rays.....

Fri 24 Feb, 2012 7:04 am

It a great place to camp on a Full Moon. I dont remember the details ie what time of year it was but to see the moon raise between the east & west peak of Mt Barney was magical.
Post a reply