Mt Ngungun during the floods

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Ngungun during the floods

Postby mountnman » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 6:18 pm

Thought I'd put together a little trip report from when I was up in Queensland in January and went for a climb up Mt Ngungun. I used to live at Peachester, so the Glasshouse Mountains used to be my old stomping ground. I had climbed Mt Ngungun at least a dozen times before, including once at nighttime.

We were up there at a friend's wedding, which was on the Tuesday 11/1/11, and on the Wednesday I was going to go for a walk. We were staying at Sandstone Point near Bribie Island, and the day before the road had been cut, so thankfully the road was open to get through. On the Monday, according to the BOM site, Maleny had 282mm, Tuesday 132mm, and on the Wednesday I was walking they had 184mm, so it was a wet walk.

I left the carpark (once I had found it - I hadn't been there for 4 years) around quarter to 12, and started walking up the zig-zaging track. After about 10 minutes you get to the scramble. In the recent weather it was pretty much a small creek running down. I didn't find it too bad, maybe the rain had made me think about my foot placing a bit more, and I didn't find it as difficult as I had remembered.

After passing the cave and taking some pictures on the way up, I came to a little flat area, that usually has a great view of Mt Tibrogargan to the south. However, today the view was non-existent from the cloud.

I then took off again, following the track uphill until I reached the small summit ridge. I walked along the ridge to get to the summit. I sat there for about 15 minutes in the rain, catching an occasional glimpse through the clouds.
Attachments
IMG_1030.jpg
IMG_1033.jpg
IMG_1035.jpg
IMG_1039.jpg
IMG_1046.jpg
Research has shown that men usually sleep on the right side of the bed.
Even in our sleep we happen to be right....
mountnman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Mt Ngungun during the floods

Postby DaveGwy » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 4:13 pm

Sounds like you had a nice walk mate. It's funny how sometimes people shy away from walking in the 'weather' - but, it's all natural right? Clouds, mist, fog, rain and cold are all as much a part of Mt. Ngungun (or anywhere else) as dry, clear weather. Thanks for the report mate!
Cheers,
Dave
DaveGwy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby mountnman » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 9:07 pm

I actually prefer going during the rain. It feels more peaceful, and less crowds!! :D
Research has shown that men usually sleep on the right side of the bed.
Even in our sleep we happen to be right....
mountnman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Drifting » Tue 08 Mar, 2011 9:44 pm

Hey- that looks like a typical day in Tassie! LOL
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania