Isla Gorge - Sandstone Country

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Isla Gorge - Sandstone Country

Postby ofuros » Mon 23 Nov, 2020 6:07 am

Moved from the wrong forum...

Intense inland dry heat, shimmering mirages & endless lonnng straight roads to get there. Buffeting Roadtrains. Stray roadside goats & cattle. Grey roo's. Dry riverbeds. Lotsa kms between fuel stops.

Covered picnic tables, drop toilets, tank water(don't rely on it, bring your own, it's remote), couple of fire pits in the camp area.

Explored nearby knolls, ridges & do-able downclimbs...weather worn arches, overhangs, bat caves & short tunnels riddle the cliffIines. I'll leave Isla's maze of gorges, peaks, springs & waterholes for the cooler season.

Tarpless hammock set up on the edge of the escarpment to catch any scant breezes...sun down, day temps cooled surprisingly quickly, top quilt snug as a bug, crescent moon & wide star filled heavens, whining mozzies outside the bugnet...it was just the escape I needed. 8)

DSCF5877 (Medium).JPG

DSCF5880 (Medium).JPG

DSCF5895 (Medium).JPG

DSCF5898 (Medium).JPG

DSCF5913 (Medium).JPG

DSCF5947 (Medium).JPG

DSCF5960 (Medium).JPG

DSCF5964 (Medium).JPG
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Isla Gorge - Sandstone Country

Postby Nuts » Sat 28 Nov, 2020 5:10 am

Rugged looking country! The mozzies must be dehydrated out there..
Nice way to travel!
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ofuros » Sat 28 Nov, 2020 8:54 am

Thanks Nuts, hopefully this seasons wet will to top up the permanent springs & waterholes within...they'll be the key to exploring this gorgeous area.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Sat 05 Dec, 2020 10:54 am

Great photos. Have only ever gone to the lookout there, and wondered whether there was any water in the creeks.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ofuros » Sat 05 Dec, 2020 12:08 pm

Cheers, Johnno,
Old info, but there's supposed to be a couple of permanent springs within the catchment & the water holes (some deep some shallow) which come & go with each season...I'll just have explore to find out for sure. :wink:

Probably travel via some other route next time...maybe through the backdoor via Theodore.
The Warrego highway was/is a bit boring...towns nicely spaced out though, if you need to stretch your legs, fill up or drop into a cafe/bakery.
Except for running out of fuel on the Toowoomba bypass, hitch hiking to the nearest petrol station, returning by taxi to find my bike (chained to a Armco barrier) protected by a truck & dual cab ute all flashing there orange 'keep to right' arrows...livened up the start of the journey. They even offered me free petrol. :lol: :roll:

Hats off the helpful emergency road crews patroling the bypass...and there trouble spotting cameras. 8)
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Sun 27 Dec, 2020 1:51 pm

Just couldn't wait for the cool season...I missed the tarpless camping, clear night skies filled with millions of twinkling stars & the remoteness.

Back door is the way to go, rolling hills, winding roads & small country towns...and the landscape surprisingly green for most of the way.
Only one straight stretch between Eldsvold & Cracow, about an hours worth.

Dirt short cut via Cracow beach was a nice stop over...tall green shady palms & a cooling breeze. An oasis surrounded by dry country. Creek pools were a lovely chocolate colour...but cool.
DSCF5968 (Medium).JPG

Tried to get out to explore Nathan Gorge via it's rough goat track, but ending up shearing a bolt on my motorcycles rear rack, so retreated with my tail between my legs...next time.

Lake Murphy on the way to Robinson Gorge/Starkvale Camp was pretty full, lush growth around it's edges. A late in the day camp or early morning brecky stop to enjoy the cool temps. Toilet + picnic area. Short walk to lake or a circuit.
Grey kangaroo's on the flats & wallaby's in the scrub surrounding the lake. Lots of birdlife.
DSCF6001 (Medium).JPG

Just outside Eidsvold, there's a camp area beside the clear running Burnett River. Good for a cooling dip. Also has a short walk to a rocky bluff.

Short side trip from Ban Ban Springs, if you want to stretch your legs is Coalstoun Lakes.
Two large volcanic craters, that occasionally fill with water. Short steep zig zag walk up to the lookout point. Good 360° views. Apparently one of the youngest volcanic formations in Oz, only 600,000 years old.
You can follow the track down to visit both craters, both have bird watching hides. No water in there this trip though.
DSCF6004 (Medium).JPG

Seasonal watermelons & pumpkins at the local farmers little roadside stalls...

Remembered to spray my bugnet with Off ! this time around...no whining mozzies all night long. :D

DSCF7372 (Medium).JPG

DSCF7364 (Medium).JPG

Before...Dried & leathery
DSCF7351 (Medium).JPG

After...Plump & juicy, overnight mixed fruit, just add water...and time. :wink:
DSCF5996 (Medium).JPG
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to QLD Trip Reports & Track Notes