Thorsborne Trail with kids

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Thorsborne Trail with kids

Postby Lizzy » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 5:47 pm

Have just walked the Thorsborne Trail over 4 days on Hinchinbrook Island in the first week of October with kids aged 11 & 13.

I have wanted to do this walk for years and finally the stars aligned! (& bookings!)
The biggest challenge was definitely the heat- it was very hot & humid (about 30 degrees) and coming from down south we really felt it!!! Day 3 we spent a fair bit of time in the pools above Zoe Creek and the walk after that was exposed and roasting- really tested us all especially the boys.

The highlights were definitely the waterholes and waterfalls. The boys loved every swim and feeding the jungle perch March flies :) we stopped and swam everywhere we could.
Food highlight was my 1st attempt at dehydrated spag Bol- everyone was sceptical but it was yum- best I have had camping.
The walk was very dry so no problem with creeks or swamps. The Trail itself posed no problem to the kids, the heat was the hardest. However we did meet a group of ladies completing the walk after an attempt in April when one was washed down a creek- so conditions definitely vary a lot!

John from Absolute North Charters provided the boat transfers along with lots of advice/info on creek tidal crossings, water and crocs. Others didn't fair as well when they weren't given this info (a different operator) and found themselves with no water and having to wait hours for tidal crossings.

We used picaradin repellant and I had treated our clothes and tent with permethrin. John also suggested mossie coils for the camp sites. We faired fairly well with this.
We were warm enough in just silk sleeping bag liners.

A wonderful walk and some fantastic memories
Cheers
Lizzy
Attachments
IMG_2214.JPG
Last edited by Lizzy on Sat 14 Oct, 2017 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Thorsborne Trail with kids

Postby Lizzy » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 5:52 pm

The falls
Attachments
IMG_2326.JPG
Top of Zoe Falls
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lizzy » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 5:59 pm

More falls
Attachments
IMG_2385.JPG
Mulligan Falls
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 6:05 pm

Looks good Lizzy...how were the sandflies ?
Remember wishing I was exploring the island when I viewed it from a mainland lookout...one to keep in mind for the future.
Last edited by ofuros on Thu 12 Oct, 2017 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby nq111 » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 6:20 pm

Nice going.

Looking to do this next year with my kids (they will be 7 and 9).

I was there a few weeks ago (by kayak) and a couple were doing it with a toddler - they were carrying her and took longer than others but appeared to be going ok. More than I would dare try!
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Lizzy » Sun 22 Oct, 2017 6:10 am

ofuros wrote:Looks good Lizzy...how were the sandflies ?
Remember wishing I was exploring the island when I viewed it from a mainland lookout...one to keep in mind for the future.

I didn’t think the sand flies and mozzies were too bad- however I had treated our longs and tent inner in permethrin and we used repellant.
The mozzies were probably the worst at Mulligan- so we cooked dinner and had breakfast on the rocks near the waterfall- very pleasant and few bugs. Then it was straight into the tent and UNO for us.
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby mbatch » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 11:51 am

Nice one Lizzy, good to see you got the money shot on top of Zoe Falls ! We did this one when our boy was eight in July 2014, lightweight gear makes things much easier. We had great weather (except it was overcast for the few hours each side of Zoe Falls) if anything a touch too cold ! ... certainly all the other walkers were from Nth Qld and considered it positively artic. Mossy and sandfles were OK as well, had heard they were shocking but we used the baby oil/dettol combo which seemed to do the trick . Thanks for posting. Mick
mbatch
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby nickzed » Sun 06 Nov, 2022 2:03 pm

Hi Lizzy,
I'm thinking of doing the hike with my girls - 10 and 11.

You mentioned 4 days in your post - how many nights would you recommend for completing the hike without being too rushed. Would 4 nights be too long?

Thanks
Nick
nickzed
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to QLD Trip Reports & Track Notes