Rat-a-tat overnight

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Rat-a-tat overnight

Postby dis » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 11:03 am

With the re-opening of the Albert River circuit following damage from cyclone debbie, we decided to journey on to rat-a-tat. Following reports of previous hikes, we opted to do the albert river circuit anti-clockwise to prevent the long slog uphil on the return journey. We started at approximately 8am and arrived at rat-a-tat by 2:30pm. The track from Echo Point campsite through to rat-a-tat has been recently cleared and is freshly taped, so we had no navigational difficulties and cleared this section in approximately 1.5 hours.

We also opted for a slight summit detour of Mt Durigan on the way in, but turned around after a few hundred metres due to the amount of lawyer vine. This track is severely infested and looks like it hasn't been walked in a long time. Unsure if we missed anything, as we are not aware if the summit offers any unobstructed views.

Rat-a-tat is truely a beautiful spot, super remote with a fresh stream water source close by. The worst part of the hike is the dreading 5km return on the border track which seems to just go on and on. According to the GPS we tracked approximately 30km in full.

01.jpg
Echo Falls

02.jpg
Rat-a-tat

05.jpg
Ready for the return journey

07.jpg
Echo point lookout
Last edited by dis on Sat 19 Aug, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dis
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Rat-a-tat overnight

Postby Jayps68 » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 1:52 pm

Seemed like nice weather, I'll be heading up there myself in a few weeks.
It's all the same to me where i begin, for to there I shall return...
Jayps68
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Return to QLD Trip Reports & Track Notes