Carnarvon Great Walk

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Carnarvon Great Walk

Postby SueO1988 » Wed 22 Mar, 2017 4:18 pm

Hi
Has been a little while but thought I would do a keep trip report on the Carnarvon Great Walk. My husband and I and son did this in August 2016. Was hard but definitely worth it, it took us 5 nights. The view looking back down at the formation of the gorge is truly magical. I was nervous about the rock scramble up and out of the bottom of the gorge, but managed quite well, there are foot holes in the rocks to help.

I would definitely take along either a hammock (ticket to the moon) or a lightweight cheap chair as there are no seats or even logs to sit on at most of the camp sites. This is particularly a problem if it rains! The chair was 800g from Aldi and folds up really small. The hammock is not much heavier and my son slept in it a couple of nights as you could hang it under the water collection shelters.

This Great Walk is definitely worth doing – the indigenous history is pretty special. More detailed information and photos are in the link to my husband’s blog below.

https://graygoc.wordpress.com/2016/09/0 ... reat-walk/
SueO1988
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Carnarvon Great Walk

Postby ofuros » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 2:20 am

Enjoyable read Sue, thanks for sharing the blog link.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CSpeedy » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 9:21 am

Thanks for the link to the blog.
My sister and I walked the Carnarvon Great Walk last year as well. In the last week of July, so only a couple of weeks before yourselves.
Great to see your photos of very familiar looking places.
CSpeedy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby SueO1988 » Sun 30 Apr, 2017 6:21 pm

Hi glad you enjoyed it, we are now in the process of organising the Larapinta in June this year. So many special places to walk.
SueO1988
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby taswegian » Tue 27 Jun, 2017 10:14 pm

Great trip and interesting reading. Thanks.
Many years ago last century, wife and I with very young twins spent 3 months wandering the backblocks of Queensland and spent about a week at Carnarvon Gorge.
It's one of the most memorable experiences.
The gorge itself with the eroded sides, vegetation etc is fascinating.
The rock art was outstanding.
I won the trust of the local ranger and he gave directions to many areas where the art was. Not sure if they're out of bounds now.
The trip up onto the top of gorge was worthwhile and the view looking down was something I was unaccustomed to as a Tassie walking our wilderness areas. (your photo of Battleship Spur shows the gorge cutting its meandering way through the landscape.)
The wife was somewhat bemused by a large Goanna that decided to take a shortcut under our tent. It went under the ground sheet and out the other end.

Thanks again it bought back memories, but also revealed things I never saw.
taswegian
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby djb21au » Tue 15 Jun, 2021 3:06 pm

Completed this walk in April with my daughter. Very satisfying and highly recommended. Worth the effort of getting there. I've written up the experience here and happy to answer any questions: https://www.davidbrewsterphotography.com/carnarvon-great-walk-2021
djb21au
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby ofuros » Tue 15 Jun, 2021 6:27 pm

So much green growth...thanks for sharing your trip, Dave.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lizzy » Tue 15 Jun, 2021 6:33 pm

Great write up - thanks!
Would love to get out there one day…
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby GregR » Thu 24 Jun, 2021 11:53 am

djb21au wrote:Completed this walk in April with my daughter. Very satisfying and highly recommended. Worth the effort of getting there. I've written up the experience here and happy to answer any questions: https://www.davidbrewsterphotography.com/carnarvon-great-walk-2021

Great write up. I am planning on being there with my daughter and my nephew in mid August. Hope the borders are still open....
GregR

Region: Victoria

Return to QLD Trip Reports & Track Notes