Uni Rover Trail and surrounding areas

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Uni Rover Trail and surrounding areas

Postby rwildman » Thu 31 Aug, 2023 7:50 am

I was starting to plan a trip down to the Kowmung using some of the Uni Rover Trail to get to Misery Ridge. My last venture into the Kowmung from Batsch camp was a mix of jungle and open ridge so I was wondering if anyone has been into the area at the start of the Trail in the last few months. I am fully prepared to find the URT has disappeared and will need to navigate even to Lost Rock but just want to know the state of the vegetation. Any recent walks?
rwildman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Uni Rover Trail and surrounding areas

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Mon 04 Sep, 2023 12:37 pm

I've got nothing for you but was hoping someone would! I suspect it's mostly gone but who knows?

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rwildman » Tue 05 Sep, 2023 9:59 pm

Thanks Walk_fat boy_walk. We have decided to go anyway. For the first time in my walking experience, I'm taking a small hand saw for those pesky fallen branches and secateurs for the Hardenberger and lawyer vines and if there are no signs of the track left I'll leave some kind of indicators for others to follow. I still have several old GPS tracks to assist with getting through to the start of Misery Ridge; it was more about the regrowth. We have all been experiencing some pretty tough bush bashes on old previously well marked tracks. Thanks.
rwildman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby irrgent » Thu 07 Sep, 2023 3:10 pm

Interested to hear how it goes once you get back.
irrgent
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Bransonlongreach » Wed 13 Sep, 2023 9:55 am

Hi there!
Does anyone have any word yet on the URT and areas surrounding Batsh camp? Was thinking of bashing to mt colong from Batsh camp, heading down the mt armour fire trail, walking upstream the Kowmung and then back up Uni rover. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Cheers.
Bransonlongreach
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby rwildman » Fri 15 Sep, 2023 5:19 pm

Hi Bransonlongreach,
We went into this area in November 2021 and found that the start of the URT has virtually disappeared BUT the country was still pretty clear and we got to Bent Hook Swamp before the trail turned left and headed into some very thick regrowth for a couple of hundred metres until it pops out onto Moogan Spur where the track was still visible. The route down into Colong was gone so we just sidled left and down until we met the creek (Lannigans). We then went down to the Kowmung but returned via Carkenellar Ridge and Hub Mountain, which proved a much better way to get back to Batsch camp. I can supply GPS tracks if required (write to [email protected]). Didn't go over to Mt Amour or the fire trail.
rwildman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rwildman » Sat 28 Oct, 2023 1:54 pm

irrgent wrote:Interested to hear how it goes once you get back.

Sorry but the scheduled walk had to be cancelled/postponed as I had two quick hospital sessions and am just getting back into walking, a month later. I still plan to do the walk but it will be a little time ahead now.
rwildman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes