Rusden Head, Little Forest Plateau

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Rusden Head, Little Forest Plateau

Postby FionaShedden » Tue 02 Mar, 2021 9:06 am

Wanted a nice short and easy overnighter to introduce my sons girlfriend to the joy of hiking. With Mt Bushwalker track closed heading out to Gadara point and Ngaitung Falls was out, so decided to instead visit Rusden Head and explore, given I hadn't done this before.

A crazy easy walk in to the head, through very badly burnt plateau was done in an hour, leaving heaps of time to explore the head in all directions - made easier by the sparse regrowth. The main pass down to Wombat Ridge FT was easy to find, but didn't trust the rope that was there given it showed clear signs of fire damage. Checked out a couple of other likely passes, slots, view points, a waterfall and found several beautiful pools. No real wildlife seen other than millions of orb spiders and the slightly spooky sound of a tawny frogmouth calling in the evening.

Woke to a white out which quickly dispersed as the sun came up, leaving that spectacular view. Not sure why I hadn't done this walk sooner!

Lazy start but still back out by lunchtime Sunday so a really simple first hike, with a relaxed explore after lunch day 1 that has whetted the appetite for more. Easily done as a daywalk or if I went again I'd take a decent bit of rope and head down the pass and over into Pigeon House gorge.
20210228_095227.jpg

20210227_173248.jpg

20210227_163754.jpg

20210227_113355.jpg

20210227_183241.jpg

20210227_173700.jpg

20210227_172022.jpg
FionaShedden
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Rusden Head, Little Forest Plateau

Postby crollsurf » Tue 02 Mar, 2021 1:37 pm

That's good to see the landscape recovering well. Thanks for the report, I remember a lot of birdlife when I was last there, hopefully the wildlife will recover soon enough
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes