Great Ocean Walk - March 2023

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Great Ocean Walk - March 2023

Postby TomGalvin » Sun 18 Feb, 2024 5:40 am

This a belated trip report, which is only appropriate for a belated trip. I joined this forum a decade ago in hopes of traveling to Australia from Colorado for an extended vacation on the AAWT. Life took some twists and turns between family and work that postponed my trip for a few years, and then a pandemic postponed it a few more years. We decided to make up for lost time, and did a round the world trip in 2023. One of the highlights for us was the Great Ocean Walk. Below is my blog post about our trip. I hope it is helpful for others contemplating the walk.

https://rtwttl.blogspot.com/2023/03/aus ... right.html

We are now planning to go back, and explore more of the country's walks. Perhaps even a Big Lap from trek to trek including Tasmania.

Thanks to everyone who posts here. It has been of great help to us discovering beautiful places to visit.
TomGalvin
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: Great Ocean Walk - March 2023

Postby vagrom » Sun 18 Feb, 2024 7:10 pm

Wow Tom. You've done creative writing or you're a natch. I don't think i've read the guy who wrote Notes from a Small Island but may have seen him at the bakery in Dover, Tasmania. Great reflective writing. Maybe you're a journo. I liked the description of the driver. Please do more.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby peregrinator » Mon 19 Feb, 2024 2:47 pm

Tom, I enjoyed the comments. Your use of the "active voice" gives them vitality. Which I imagine is what vagrom is responding to. The photographs are attractive too.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Mon 19 Feb, 2024 3:19 pm

Good report, great photos, but are you sure that snake's a tiger?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby TomGalvin » Wed 28 Feb, 2024 11:25 am

Thanks for the kind words. I am an amateur wordsmith. I write when I have a bit of a story to tell. Once I retire in a two or three years, I am thinking of tapping out a few more stories.

As for snake in the photo, I am not sure it is a tiger snake. Brett had identified it. I have never seen one before in person. From what I recalled of what they looked like in pictures, I was comfortable taking his word for it. None of us were credentialed herpetologists. We may have made much ado about nothing and became tellers of a tall tale.
TomGalvin
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Postby ggorgeman » Wed 28 Feb, 2024 2:57 pm

Thanks for posting the trip report, I haven't read it yet but will asap. Thanks for going to the effort as these such reports provide wonderful inspiration and information for others. Cheers
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes