Mt Feathertop Loop from Stony Creek Road trout farm

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Feathertop Loop from Stony Creek Road trout farm

Postby bigkev » Sun 23 May, 2021 6:23 pm

Hi All,

A couple of weeks ago I did a loop up Mt Feathertop from the trout farm on Stony Creek Road.

To make it into a loop I walked the NW Spur Track until I crossed the first gully after leaving the semi rural land. Once across the first gully I picked up the bottom of Bungalow Spur and climbed the spur until I met the walking track coming up from Harrietville just past Tobias Gap. The scrub got progressively thicker until I was down to less than 500 metres per hour just before I broke out onto the Bungalow Spur Walking Track :cry:

Once I'd joined the Bungalow Spur Track I headed up to camp below Molly Hill just below Feathertop - picking up some water at Federation Hut on the way past. All up on this day I walked around 12.4 kilometres and climbed just over 1300 metres on what was a tough 8 hours of walking.

Day two and I was a up early to get to the summit for a nice sunrise before heading back to camp for brekky. After packing up I set off on the knee crunching descent down NW Spur to complete the loop, arriving back at the trout farm after around 5 hours with knees still intact - although my quads gave me hell for the next couple of days! The climb of Feathertop and the walk down NW Spur added another 12.9 kilometres to the walk.

I was interested to see how out my HMG pack fared on the off piste stuff on this stroll and it looks like it's come through fairly well unscathed - although while the scrub got fairly thick it wasn't super scratchy. The other new piece of kit that I was pushing a bit was my Duplex tent, camping on the ridge before Feathertop was by far the hardest I'd pushed that tent. It stood up fairly well in some light to moderate wind overnight, condensation was bit of an issue although I was enveloped in cloud for some of the night and even had a bit of rain. Overall I still wouldn't recommend this type of lightweight gear in these situations however it was nice to see what it could cope with.

Here's the links for the trip reports I've posted for the two days:-

Day One https://goinferalonedayatatime.blogspot ... l-via.html

Day Two https://goinferalonedayatatime.blogspot ... d-via.html

Cheers
Kevin
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Mt Feathertop Loop from Stony Creek Road trout farm

Postby neilmny » Mon 24 May, 2021 9:06 am

Great report and pictures as always Kev.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ironfox » Sun 30 May, 2021 6:22 pm

A really interesting and adventurous route choice to get to Bungalow Spur BigKev. Well done!
Ironfox
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 30 May, 2021 7:48 pm

A Good trip report. You are a solid trekker. I am slow and soft!. I used the on track route and did the road bash. It is a worthwhile loop.
https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/mt-fe ... 019.84309/
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby bigkev » Mon 31 May, 2021 6:21 pm

Cheers Guys :D

I don't think you are slow and soft PCV... I think you'd find I'm a lot slower and more unfit than you. From where I'm sitting we are pretty similar walkers who both like checking out new spots...I prefer walking tracks to the off piste stuff too, it's just that the tracks don't always go to the spots that I want to check out :wink:

Lucky we both got in some decent walks over summer as it looks like we are heading into another winter of discontent! :cry:
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby icefest » Mon 31 May, 2021 8:12 pm

That's dedicated! Last time I tried a loop there I chickened out and walked back from harriettville to the trout farm along the road. .
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes