Lost tracks

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Lost tracks

Postby Mr Bean » Sun 10 Jan, 2021 10:35 pm

Looking at old maps recently, in particular, the S R Brookes map of the Howitt region, reminded me of a lost track we discovered in 2017. While coming down the Stanleys Named Spur track (SNS), we went south off the ridge, at the location of the camp and water source on SNS. I was curious to see what was there, considering it was marked on a map. The map shows an overgrown track, among many cut, back in the day. The photo was taken about where the red arrow is positioned. The green arrow is about where we lost the track.

And yes, the track does exist. We could follow it for about 1-1.5km, before it faded into the growth. After that, we headed back up and continued the SNS track to Queens Spur. The pic below shows the view looking east. A well defined bench cut. On any modern map, this no longer exists.
Attachments
Mt_Howitt_old_logging_track002 - Copy.jpg
378A0755_Overgrown_walking_track_Carolyn.jpg
Mr Bean
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Lost tracks

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 18 Jan, 2021 1:14 pm

Interesting!. My GPS Topographical map claims there is a hut east of that track near the west facing gully where Mt. Howitt and the Cross Cut saw intersect .Is this fiction?
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Parallax » Sun 24 Jan, 2021 5:23 pm

I'd love to see more of that original map. It's interesting to see where that old road goes that the foot track crosses at Mount Thorn.
Parallax
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby peregrinator » Sun 24 Jan, 2021 6:10 pm

It goes north-west to join the Circuit Road at Stanleys Name Gap, about 2.5 km north of Bindaree Falls. Sorry, probably should have written "went", not "goes". My copy is dated 2000.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes