Northern Circuit, Wilson's Promontory

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Re: Northern Circuit, Wilson's Promontory

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 11 Apr, 2023 9:41 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Parks Vic.. will be displeased that you did not camp in one of the designated camp sites.
It is actually about concentrating the human imprint / impact which camping creates on the environment .

That's Fair.
The walk from Johnny Souey to Lower Barry is a long day, and that partly was why I'd wanted to sneak a few extra kms.
I spoke to couple at the Miranda Creek Crossing who said they were staying at Johnny Souey as well as 2 mates who were expected later. I thought that's a squeeze in such a small campsite.
If it helps, and it probably doesn't. I left no trace at the beach. I even picked up a bit of rubbish others had dropped along the way.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 14 Apr, 2023 6:29 pm

The way I did this hiking circuit in the past was
Day 1. 5 Mile car park to 5 mile beach camping area.
Day 2 : a long day from 5 Mile Beach camping area to Tin Mine Cove camping area.
Day 3 Tin Mine Cove camping area to Lower Barry Creek.
Day 4 Lower Barry Creek to 5 Mile car park.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby JamesMc » Mon 26 Jun, 2023 9:24 pm

I revisited the Northern Circuit clockwise with a VMTC group over the Kings Birthday weekend.

The track in the vicinity of the Margaret / Hunter saddle and the Chinamans Creek Swamp had deteriorated markedly since my last visit, with most tapes being on the ground and the track often less distinct than numerous false leads. To follow it, you really need to have GPS in hand most of the time. We found that All Trails and Gaia apps showed the track correctly, but a digital VicMap version was out by over a hundred metres in places.

Also, we did a side trip to Miranda Bay and managed to find what little remains of the shipwreck. I'd stumbled across it about 35 years ago but had been unable to find it about a decade ago.
JamesMc
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Camminata » Wed 31 Jan, 2024 7:04 pm

Anyone been out here recently and can report on water situation??????..........thinking of going clockwise in a couple of weeks if not too hot, did the loop a few years ago in 4 days but we will do it in 3 , will get day one most difficult out of the way.
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://hikingtales55.blogspot.com

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 01 Feb, 2024 9:00 am

Camminata wrote:Anyone been out here recently and can report on water situation??????..........thinking of going clockwise in a couple of weeks if not too hot, did the loop a few years ago in 4 days but we will do it in 3 , will get day one most difficult out of the way.

Can't help you with info, but there's been plenty of rain.

That's a potential nightmare! :)
Make sure it's cool, and preferably overcast.
The kick in the sun at the moment makes a clear, mid-20s day in that swamp hard work, but I'm sure the friendly snakes will provide moral support.
Pack plenty of water at Lower Barry...
From memory, the hardest bits are where you lose the trail and have to wrestle with the scrub near Lower Barry and close to the beach.
Basically when you have to push through Serrated Banksia/scrub. The horror!
The bit between the Corduroy and Hunter Point had degenerated too, was harder the last time there.
Where's PCV and his track clearing minions when you need them?
The flagging tape seemed to have disappeared in places, so expect a horrible experience, and you might be pleasantly surprised and it turns out to be just awful. :D
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby publicrejoicer » Sat 03 Feb, 2024 10:44 am

Yer I gotta say wait till late autumn or early spring. Much more enjoyable. Take a machette and some tape. PV are not going to do it.
"solvitur ambulando"
publicrejoicer
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: The Order Of Walkers

Postby Joris » Sat 03 Feb, 2024 3:35 pm

Baeng72 wrote:
Camminata wrote:Anyone been out here recently and can report on water situation??????..........thinking of going clockwise in a couple of weeks if not too hot, did the loop a few years ago in 4 days but we will do it in 3 , will get day one most difficult out of the way.

The kick in the sun at the moment makes a clear, mid-20s day in that swamp hard work, but I'm sure the friendly snakes will provide moral support.
From memory, the hardest bits are where you lose the trail and have to wrestle with the scrub near Lower Barry and close to the beach.
The bit between the Corduroy and Hunter Point had degenerated too, was harder the last time there.
The flagging tape seemed to have disappeared in places, so expect a horrible experience, and you might be pleasantly surprised and it turns out to be just awful. :D

You are really underselling it, Baeng! :-D

Given the rainfall in that area in December and January - well above average - I would expect water at Barry Creek (and basically every major creek along the Five Mile Road). In that context it is also likely the fresh water trickle across Miranda Creek is running and possibly one of the Jonny Souey Cove creeks. Tin Min harder to gauge as the catchment there is really quite small. All that said - you still got to lug in enough water initially. Temperatures dropping again next week to what looks like decent walking weather.
Joris
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Camminata » Sat 03 Feb, 2024 4:48 pm

Joris wrote:
Baeng72 wrote:

You are really underselling it, Baeng! :-D

Given the rainfall in that area in December and January - well above average - I would expect water at Barry Creek (and basically every major creek along the Five Mile Road). In that context it is also likely the fresh water trickle across Miranda Creek is running and possibly one of the Jonny Souey Cove creeks. Tin Min harder to gauge as the catchment there is really quite small. All that said - you still got to lug in enough water initially. Temperatures dropping again next week to what looks like decent walking weather.

See how we go hopefully get a coolish few days , from memory 3 Mile point was also a scrub wrestle. Will report back...
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Sat 03 Feb, 2024 11:19 pm

3 Mile Point. Is that where the beacon is? I thought that was Hunter Point. Shows what I know.
Yeah, that section between Corduroy/Saddle between Mount Hunter/Margaret and the beacon was much worse a year ago, than in 2021.
Or I was delirious in '21 and didn't remember that it was a struggle? 6 of 1, square root of 36 the other.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Camminata » Sun 04 Feb, 2024 6:53 am

Baeng72 wrote:3 Mile Point. Is that where the beacon is? I thought that was Hunter Point. Shows what I know.
Yeah, that section between Corduroy/Saddle between Mount Hunter/Margaret and the beacon was much worse a year ago, than in 2021.
Or I was delirious in '21 and didn't remember that it was a struggle? 6 of 1, square root of 36 the other.

3 mile point is at Johnny Souey ..... don't remember a beacon, but pretty sure was a rope at Hunter point
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby JamesMc » Sun 04 Feb, 2024 1:41 pm

Camminata wrote:
See how we go hopefully get a coolish few days, from memory 3 Mile Point was also a scrub wrestle. Will report back...

Actually, 3 Mile Point is no longer a scrub wrestle. A new track was cut a few years ago. It starts behind the beach at Johnny Souey Cove and runs as far as the vague rocky bay between 3 Mile Point and 3 Mile Beach. From there, you rock - hop the rest of the way. Coming from the north, look for a large cairn just above the water line then head up only about 20 or 30 metres to find the track. (Can't remember exactly how far up, but it's much lower than the old track.)

JamesMc
JamesMc
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby JamesMc » Sun 04 Feb, 2024 1:41 pm

Also, 3 days clockwise is fine. That's the way I normally do it.

JamesMc
JamesMc
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 04 Feb, 2024 2:48 pm

JamesMc wrote:
Camminata wrote:
See how we go hopefully get a coolish few days, from memory 3 Mile Point was also a scrub wrestle. Will report back...

Actually, 3 Mile Point is no longer a scrub wrestle. A new track was cut a few years ago. It starts behind the beach at Johnny Souey Cove and runs as far as the vague rocky bay between 3 Mile Point and 3 Mile Beach. From there, you rock - hop the rest of the way. Coming from the north, look for a large cairn just above the water line then head up only about 20 or 30 metres to find the track. (Can't remember exactly how far up, but it's much lower than the old track.)

JamesMc

OK, so that's what we're talking about between Johnny Souey and 3-mile beach. Yep that was nice and clear, but rocks at the end as mentioned.
So, the place that was messy was Hunter Point then? I don't know anymore. :D
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Camminata » Sun 04 Feb, 2024 4:42 pm

JamesMc wrote:
Camminata wrote:

JamesMc

Good to know thanks
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Joris » Tue 06 Feb, 2024 10:04 am

Baeng72 wrote:
JamesMc wrote:
Camminata wrote:

JamesMc

OK, so that's what we're talking about between Johnny Souey and 3-mile beach. Yep that was nice and clear, but rocks at the end as mentioned.
So, the place that was messy was Hunter Point then? I don't know anymore. :D

Yep, 3 Mile Point got reworked some time in 2015-16 and is now a fair bit more manageable compared to the dense bush bash over the headland. Hunter Point is indeed the headland with the rope and the beacon. Last time I went along that stretch between Hunter Point and the Mount Margaret saddle it was fairly dense but not too bad (probably an entire kilometer where I did not see my feet :-D ). Even if denser by now it is hard to go really wrong - the old track is dead straight the entire way, even if most of the time you cannot see it!
Joris
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Camminata » Mon 04 Mar, 2024 2:42 pm

2 of us headed out Friday morning clockwise aiming for to do it in 3 days, plenty of water at Lower Barry camp , unfortunately whilst collecting water as I was scrambling out of the embankment my slippy hands gave way and I fell backwards and a sharp branch stabbed my calf I think by the look and feel of it was a good 4 cm , I quickly pulled it out though.
Hoping it will be all ok decided to push on, made it to the beach approximately 7:40pm around 13 hours from 5 mile car park Next day leg was swollen and infected physically impossible to keep going got a air ambo out, parts of the swamp had surface water and another part knee deep deep, a tough day out but expected.
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 04 Mar, 2024 5:52 pm

Camminata wrote:2 of us headed out Friday morning clockwise aiming for to do it in 3 days, plenty of water at Lower Barry camp , unfortunately whilst collecting water as I was scrambling out of the embankment my slippy hands gave way and I fell backwards and a sharp branch stabbed my calf I think by the look and feel of it was a good 4 cm , I quickly pulled it out though.
Hoping it will be all ok decided to push on, made it to the beach approximately 7:40pm around 13 hours from 5 mile car park Next day leg was swollen and infected physically impossible to keep going got a air ambo out, parts of the swamp had surface water and another part knee deep deep, a tough day out but expected.

Well, that sounds a bit gruesome, and painful.
I salute your ability to push on.
What's the prognosis?
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Camminata » Mon 04 Mar, 2024 6:42 pm

Baeng72 wrote:
Camminata wrote:2 of us headed out Friday morning clockwise aiming for to do it in 3 days, plenty of water at Lower Barry camp , unfortunately whilst collecting water as I was scrambling out of the embankment my slippy hands gave way and I fell backwards and a sharp branch stabbed my calf I think by the look and feel of it was a good 4 cm , I quickly pulled it out though.

Well, that sounds a bit gruesome, and painful.
I salute your ability to push on.
What's the prognosis?

Went and got antibiotics and a tetanus shot and will have a further scan to check nothing left inside, should be all good in a week or so I reckon, no snakes for morale support Baeng..
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 05 Mar, 2024 3:43 pm

OMG. I hope you are okay .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Camminata » Tue 05 Mar, 2024 3:45 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:OMG. I hope you are okay .

All good thanks mate
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes