Wyperfeld multi day

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Wyperfeld multi day

Postby Hikerpete » Sat 14 May, 2016 7:30 pm

I'm looking at spending several days walking Wyperfeld and am after input for suggested waypoints/campsites.
I'd prefer to stay off vehicle tracks as much as possible, and a loop would be best by far.
If needed I'm happy to do some water drops by vehicle first.

Any input gratefully received.
Hikerpete
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Wyperfeld multi day

Postby Pink Cap » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 1:55 pm

Has anyone hiked the Freeway Track at Wyperfeld recently? I find the name a little off putting, even after reading the history of the track. I am undecided whether to do the 2 day hike from Wonga to Remote campsite and back or to do a couple of day walks, one in the northern section and one in the southern part.
Pink Cap
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Postby peregrinator » Wed 01 Jul, 2020 2:38 pm

I would avoid Freeway Track. I'd recommend using Meridian Track going north, then return on it going south as well. It goes through attractive country which has some variation, so seeing it twice is fine. Also not as wide as Freeway, as you can observe in a satellite view, and from what I could see of Freeway where it joined Meridian, the former is certainly wider and much sandier. Also note the first c.4 km from Black Flat is actually a walking track not a MVO.

The Remote campsite is not greatly attractive. You can easily do a day walk to it from Black Flat and returning there (5 to 6 hours), plus have time to do the Tyakil loop. But the best way to experience the park is to include at least some off-track sections. The vegetation is mostly quite sparse. You could try linking up some of the other MVO tracks with some off-track.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Pink Cap » Thu 18 Nov, 2021 7:24 pm

Quite a long time later I’ve eventually done this hike. I did a loop from Black Flat starting on Cameron and going onto Freeway, camping at the Northern Remote campsite and returning on Meridian and then Tyakil. Yes, the Freeway track is quite boring because you don’t get much view and the vegetation is almost all low pines. The Meridian is very much nicer due to more varied vegetation and plenty of views, and then the last part on Tyakil is a narrow track so a pleasant change from the MVO tracks. I did it in the rain and maybe because of this there was absolutely nobody around. I found the campsite to be ok and lots of kangaroos came to visit. I also did, separately, the Casuarina loop from Casuarina campsite; this is possibly a nicer campsite although vehicle accessible, however I wouldn’t recommend the walk in comparison with my time in the southern part of the park.
Pink Cap
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Postby CraigVIC » Sat 27 Aug, 2022 11:30 am

Can anyone offer any info on water at the remote camp?
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby peregrinator » Tue 30 Aug, 2022 9:56 pm

CraigVIC wrote:Can anyone offer any info on water at the remote camp?

Not exactly current info, but I was in the area in May this year, and read notes written by NP staff that they visit Remote Camp (and Casuarina Camp) very frequently.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CraigVIC » Wed 31 Aug, 2022 7:55 am

Thanks peregrinator. So there is a tank of some type? I have the Daly's notes somewhere but can't seem to find them and the parknotes don't give anything away.
CraigVIC

Postby andrewp » Wed 31 Aug, 2022 8:49 am

As well as the tank at the Northern Remote hike-in camping area, there are small tanks at Nightjar Clearing and Cambacanya Clearing. I don't think these are marked on any maps.
The GR for Nightjar is 54 602227 6068171 and Cambacanya is 54 607619 6061232.
The reference for Northern Remote is 54 590549 6073287. This is the hike-in campground. I think there is another drive-in area a bit further north and on the other side of Meridian Track.
In you are going to use any of these tanks the best plan is to contact the rangers and ask. The rangers are very helpful and will usually check them if you give some notice.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CraigVIC » Thu 01 Sep, 2022 6:23 am

Thanks, very helpful. I'll report on the trip when I get there
CraigVIC

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes