Moondog55's 2014 snow trip

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Re: Moondog55's 2014 snow trip

Postby sim1oz » Mon 29 Sep, 2014 7:30 am

I must say that I agree with Cecile. Moondog's camp was spotless when we visited. If vandals and hooligans decided to interfere with his gear and make a mess, the responsibility lies solely with them.
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 29 Sep, 2014 6:48 pm

And one semi-last comment
While I was home some-one opened the taps on the LPG bottles and discharged a very nasty greenhouse gas to the atmosphere. Is Ecocide a capital crime yet??
While the road is free of snow for the most part for some reason they won't open the gate for road travel/vehicle access until October. Found some stuff on the walk back to the village too, Has any-one here lost a RH Outdoor Research Windstopper glove??
Ditto Macpac Merino top Bright blue? Found them on the road halfway between the cattle grid and Ruined Castle
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tsangpo » Mon 29 Sep, 2014 8:47 pm

Cecile wrote:
tsangpo wrote:My parents were up that way last weekend and it seems like the camp may have been trashed again; they certainly weren't impressed by what they saw at least.

While the main fault definitely lies with the people who do that it isn't a good look for any of us that love the outdoors having rubbish and gear strewn around a National Park. Perhaps for future years consider some big army surplus boxes or similar that can be locked up into which the majority of stuff can be packed.

I find this post very offensive, especially in the spirit of the friendship and good nature in this thread. There's no rubbish strewn anywhere, not in Moondog's camp, ever. He is the last one to leave rubbish, in fact he always picks up stuff left behind by others who are happy to use the national park and leave their detritus behind.

Before you criticise, it might be beneficial for you to understand the situation. And considering you haven't actually been up there, nor do you know anything about Moondog, his camp or the equipment, or his hospitality for any and all who pass by, you have no actual right to comment. National Parks are for any and all who take the time to visit and care for them. When you have been visiting, and caring for our National Parks for over 40 years as he has, perhaps then you can pass judgment.

And I find your post offensive. I am a Victorian and have every right to comment on how a National Park is being treated. Before you act all outraged consider the situation from someone outside looking in. In a National Park there is a campsite that has rubbish and gear strewn around period; by both Moondog's own words and my parents observation. If I saw this without context I would report it to the Park Rangers and expect them to do something about it. Yes it is the fault of the vandals but can you expect everyone to know that before reporting it?

I passed the campsite when I was touring from Bogong Village to Falls Creek via the Fainters earlier in the winter and while there was no one there at the time I assume the inhabitant/s were reasonably close as it certainly looked occupied. I was certainly impressed by the amount of gear that was there; and having read this thread after being curious enough to go searching for who was camping there, I knew exactly whose camp it was when my parents expressed their disappointment.

My suggestion of having some boxes to pack gear into and lock I thought was an entirely reasonable one and one that would ensure both the security of his gear and the cleanliness of the site in his absence.
tsangpo
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 29 Sep, 2014 10:58 pm

tsangpo wrote:
My suggestion of having some boxes to pack gear into and lock I thought was an entirely reasonable one and one that would ensure both the security of his gear and the cleanliness of the site in his absence.

Well I did and do have steel boxes for the food and other stuff, it didn't stop some person going into my tent and scattering my gear around tho. What people may have thought was untidy may have been the firewood scattered around the fireplace but firewood always does look untidy.

When I pitched the tent here I wasn't aware that they were going to run a new ski route right past my camp either.

Maybe Bob ( the kassy driver ) did it for a joke as I was at least 50 meters from the previous years run.
If I had been amongst trees perhaps no-one would have known I was there ( in previous years even the rangers didn't know I'd been up there for a long time ) but my camp was always clean if at times a little untidy
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Cecile » Tue 30 Sep, 2014 9:25 pm

tsangpo wrote:
Cecile wrote:
tsangpo wrote:My parents were up that way last weekend and it seems like the camp may have been trashed again; they certainly weren't impressed by what they saw at least.

While the main fault definitely lies with the people who do that it isn't a good look for any of us that love the outdoors having rubbish and gear strewn around a National Park. Perhaps for future years consider some big army surplus boxes or similar that can be locked up into which the majority of stuff can be packed.

I find this post very offensive, especially in the spirit of the friendship and good nature in this thread. There's no rubbish strewn anywhere, not in Moondog's camp, ever. He is the last one to leave rubbish, in fact he always picks up stuff left behind by others who are happy to use the national park and leave their detritus behind.

Before you criticise, it might be beneficial for you to understand the situation. And considering you haven't actually been up there, nor do you know anything about Moondog, his camp or the equipment, or his hospitality for any and all who pass by, you have no actual right to comment. National Parks are for any and all who take the time to visit and care for them. When you have been visiting, and caring for our National Parks for over 40 years as he has, perhaps then you can pass judgment.

And I find your post offensive. I am a Victorian and have every right to comment on how a National Park is being treated. Before you act all outraged consider the situation from someone outside looking in. In a National Park there is a campsite that has rubbish and gear strewn around period; by both Moondog's own words and my parents observation. If I saw this without context I would report it to the Park Rangers and expect them to do something about it. Yes it is the fault of the vandals but can you expect everyone to know that before reporting it?

I passed the campsite when I was touring from Bogong Village to Falls Creek via the Fainters earlier in the winter and while there was no one there at the time I assume the inhabitant/s were reasonably close as it certainly looked occupied. I was certainly impressed by the amount of gear that was there; and having read this thread after being curious enough to go searching for who was camping there, I knew exactly whose camp it was when my parents expressed their disappointment.

I just thought I'd apologise for getting a little hot under the collar. I'm still cranky about the attitude of the folks who thought it was OK to vandalise the campsite and trash equipment, and the sheer inconvenience and cost of it to Moondog and myself. I made an assumption that you hadn't seen the camp yourself, quite incorrectly. Ted's only failing was bringing up so much equipment in the first place so he could share his love of the mountain with the dozen or more people who planned to visit, then were unable to travel up there. The logistics of the camp were, and still are, a nightmare at times.

Anyway, let's let peace reign over the end of this thread. Best wishes to you.

Cecile
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tsangpo » Tue 30 Sep, 2014 9:45 pm

The bane of non-face to face conversation where nuances can't be figured out.

On reflection I could have worded my initial post a little differently. I certainly didn't intend it to be negative towards Moondog, rather an idea on preventing people trashing gear and the environment. So apologies for that.

All the best for the next trip :). If you could rig up a wheeled trolley to get the gear out to Tawonga Huts they are much nicer than Pretty Valley Hut and they never groom out there so should make vandals much less likely.
tsangpo
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tasadam » Sat 04 Oct, 2014 2:49 pm

Cecile wrote:I just thought I'd apologise for getting a little hot under the collar.
<snip>
Anyway, let's let peace reign over the end of this thread. Best wishes to you.
Cecile

tsangpo wrote:The bane of non-face to face conversation where nuances can't be figured out.
On reflection I could have worded my initial post a little differently. I certainly didn't intend it to be negative towards Moondog,
<snip>

Thank you to both, saved us a stack of moderating. :)
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Previous

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes