Mt Feathertop - March 2014

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Feathertop - March 2014

Postby portlester » Sun 16 Mar, 2014 8:27 pm

akl168's conversion from lurker to poster earlier today has made me feel a touch guilty as well, so here are a few short notes of our walk to Mt Feathertop over the just passed March long weekend.

Initial plans for the walk had my 12 year old son and myself heading up to Harrietville on the Friday night of the March long weekend and then heading off on Saturday morning up Bungalow Spur to Federation Hut for the first night. Day 2 would then be a walk along The Razorback before starting to head down the Bon Accord Spur to spend the second night at Bon Accord Hut ruins. Day 3 would then be continuing the walk down Bon Accord to Harrietville. Just as I was about to post a question regarding camping at Bon Accord Hut ruins and the availability of water there (which I'm still interested in finding out more about), the rest of the family decided they wanted the weekend away as well, and so instead we brought the Trak Shak camper along to Harrietville where the family stayed in the Harrietville Caravan Park (basic but highly recommended) while my son and I headed off on our trip - albeit now altered to an overnighter only.

Saturday morning greeted us with absolutely perfect weather, and actually had me wondering if I could remove some of the cool weather clothing that I had packed. The revised trip plan now had us dropped off at Diamantina Hut, with a 10km walk ahead of us along The Razorback to Federation Hut. Lots of parked cars at the start had me prepared for quite a few campers at the Hut later that afternoon - which there were.

The view along The Razorback towards Mt Feathertop.

I have not visited this area before, and I was mighty impressed with the views with most of the walk being above the treeline. Anytime we moved back into the bush, we were surrounded by the dead trunks of trees burnt during the fires last year. This meant that there was little to no cover from the sun. Lot's of regrowth however made for a green carpet.

Lunch with a view.

On arriving at Federation Hut mid-afternoon, as expected we were greeted by quite a few tents, with available campsites continuing to fill right up to the early evening as others arrived. A lovely campsite, but I'm not usually one for so many people in close proximity - however I guess if I want to do these 'must do' walks then you also have to accept the crowds. Saturday night saw a big thunder and lightning storm to the south-east behind The Razorback. One of the highlights of the weekend was watching the best lightning flash shows I have ever seen. It was like fire cracker night with the 'Ooh's and Ah's' coming from the gathered crowd. Luckily for us the skies around us remained storm free.

The view from Federation Hut across The Razorback.

The watertank at Federation Hut was at least 1/3 full.

Sunday morning saw us head off to climb Mt Feathertop, which we quickly reached and spent a bit of time on the summit enjoying the views and planning our next walk in the region. On the trip back to gather our gear, we took a side trip down the North West Spur track so I could check out the natural spring on the track before the MUMC hut. We found the spring flowing and had a chat to a chap who was staying at MUMC as part of a working bee that weekend (and which also had me reminiscing of my uni days ... what I remember :wink: ).

Standing on top of Mt Feathertop soaking up the views.

We then returned to camp, packed up and then lazily headed off down the Bungalow Spur track. Although not overly steep, the 9km of constant downhill lead to sore knees and feet. The first 2/3 (at least) of Bungalow Spur was burnt in the fires, so I can only picture in my mind what it must have been like pre-fires. Now there is minimal shade and the odd tree across the track (with evidence of many more that have been removed in recent times). The trip back down to Harrietville took longer than I had expected (because of my old knees and my son's tiredness from his Sport's Day the previous Friday). I must admit that I was relieved that we did not return to Harrietville down the much steeper Bon Accord Spur like we had initially planned to do ... a bit more fitness and strengthening work is needed before that one I think.

All up the walk was a fantastic initiation to walking in the Feathertop area and has us both planning our next visit. Our only problem is choosing where to go ... the place is just so special!
portlester
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Mt Feathertop - March 2014

Postby Tortoise » Sun 16 Mar, 2014 9:19 pm

G'day, portlester. Great post, thanks. So different since the fires!

Your story brought back memories of a thunderstorm we encountered on top of Feathertop late one afternoon. There was a huge storm front to the west, and one to the south, which we watched, spectacular lightning shows, a safe distance away from us. But we failed to notice the one that snuck up behind us. :shock: Closest I've come to being struck by lightning. Ground sizzling, almost simultaneous lightning/thunder. Still shake in my boots thinking about it. Beautiful spot, though. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby akl168 » Tue 18 Mar, 2014 6:06 am

Thanks for the report and pictures portlester. I got the map out last night and looked over the area you guys walked. I've filed this away in my ever lengthening list of future walks!
akl168
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Earwig » Mon 07 Apr, 2014 3:34 pm

Sounds like a good trip - not surprising as it's a great area and the Fed Hut camp spot will always be crowded on a long weekend. I'm curious, was anyone staying in the hut? We did the walk over Australia Day weekend a few years ago - lots of tents, empty hut. Oh, the Jaithmathangs and Fainters are pretty good spots in the same area. There are plenty of places to camp where you can avoid other walkers.
Live life moving around so when you're dead people can tell the difference.
MY HIKING BLOG http://ian-folly.blogspot.com/
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby portlester » Mon 21 Apr, 2014 7:22 pm

Hi Earwig

Apologies for not replying before now, I missed your questions.

The hut was also empty during our stay, which is how I prefer it - except for if conditions were nasty of course.

On some of the 4wd trips I've done to the huts in the high country, I've been disappointed to get to a hut and find it 'taken over' by a group who have set up shop and make it indirectly know that you are not welcome to go inside and have a look around.

We will definitely be doing more walks up that way and will make sure to take a closer look at your suggestions. It is a beautiful country.
portlester
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GBW » Fri 02 May, 2014 9:41 am

My first post, great site. My partner and I did the Feathertop Circuit in late March...Harrietville-Bon Accord-Razorback-Feathertop-Bungalow Spur-Harrietville. As for camping on the Bon Accord, no water and the hut site is not the best, better to continue up 1-2 km to Eric Johnson Hut site just before the snowline, no water here either but a much nicer spot.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes