Canister gas availability on the Bibbulmun

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Canister gas availability on the Bibbulmun

Postby russ752 » Fri 20 Jan, 2012 8:02 pm

Hi All, My wife and myself are planning a Northbound trek of the Bibbulmun this coming March and was planning on mailing drop boxes along the way to the various small towns. Have just discovered that Aust post won't accept canister gas, or any other fuel for that matter. Does anyone know if canister gas is available along the way or will I need to breakout the trusty Cat stove?

Chris
russ752
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Canister gas availability on the Bibbulmun

Postby rogo » Sat 21 Jan, 2012 9:30 am

call the bibb foundation, they will give you the names of the towns that have good supplies.
rogo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby russ752 » Sat 21 Jan, 2012 9:30 pm

Hmmm....Guess I'm in for a bit of a cultural shock then. Walked the AT last year, was hoping for a bit more feedback. if I had posted this on Whitblaze would have had abou1 100 replys by now
russ752
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby rogo » Sun 22 Jan, 2012 8:53 am

This site is a bit Tasmaniacentric, not too many WAers. I only sectional hike the bibb, so I have never had to resupply. The major towns would have gas but they have early closing times and not open sundays etc. I do know North Banister has fuel and food and this is only a service station.

In the northern section outside of fire ban times many campsites have fire rings and wood isn't too hard to find. I have hiked n2s but only as far as Donnelly River and plan to go at Easter starting there for a week or so. Maybe I'll bump into you on the track if you're around those parts. The track is very quiet, we hardly see another soul. Seldom do we have to share the camps with more than 2 other hikers.

Ro
rogo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jez_au » Sun 22 Jan, 2012 9:15 am

russ752 wrote:was hoping for a bit more feedback. if I had posted this on Whitblaze would have had abou1 100 replys by now

The US population is 320 million people, Australia 23 million, you're not going to get the same response. As rogo say not many WAers on here. You could try searching for people's blogs who have thru-hiked and drop them a line to ask what they found, there are plenty of people who thru hike the trail. I can ask a friend who hiked it for 4 weeks last year. Did you ask the Bibblimun Foundation?
blogs - www.jeremyc.com
peak bagging - peakclimbs.com
jez_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby jez_au » Sun 22 Jan, 2012 10:15 am

jez_au wrote:I can ask a friend who hiked it for 4 weeks last year.

[he hiked the northern half from north to south]

Most of the small town have the screw on canisters, like the ones that fit JetBoil.
Collie certainly, Balingup probably and I am sure I saw some in Dwellingup.
The guy at the roadhouse, first major highway crossing was going to increase his stock of walking things, can’t remember its name-some Roadhouse.
blogs - www.jeremyc.com
peak bagging - peakclimbs.com
jez_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Aushiker » Sun 22 Jan, 2012 11:23 am

russ752 wrote:Hmmm....Guess I'm in for a bit of a cultural shock then. Walked the AT last year, was hoping for a bit more feedback. if I had posted this on Whitblaze would have had abou1 100 replys by now

I suggest asking here and/or The Bibbulmun Track people as suggested ... more West Aussies there who walk the Track a bit. I know there is gas canisters at Dwellingup but haven't been to the other towns in ages so no current information.

Andrew
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Postby rogo » Sun 22 Jan, 2012 11:41 am

jez_au wrote:

Most of the small town have the screw on canisters, like the ones that fit JetBoil.
The guy at the roadhouse, first major highway crossing was going to increase his stock of walking things, can’t remember its name-some Roadhouse.

That's North Bannister, I think it was called something like "half way roadhouse" or "three ways" or something like that, but you walk to it from the hut about 1km. Its clearly signposted.I am not sure but I think you can have a shower and a hot meal as well.
rogo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Redtail » Mon 23 Jan, 2012 4:30 pm

rogo wrote:
jez_au wrote:

That's North Bannister, I think it was called something like "half way roadhouse" or "three ways" or something like that, but you walk to it from the hut about 1km. Its clearly signposted.I am not sure but I think you can have a shower and a hot meal as well.

Threeway, in Nth Bannister. Recently changed management, so may have changed name, too. Accessible via the spur trail from the Bib. Best to check first with each of these towns, or have a friend around to be absolutely sure. March in WA can be very hot. Doesn't really start getting cool until April. But starting in Albany, and walking uphill to Perth, you should be okay.
The fireban is always until March 31, and can be extended depending on conditions. I think it was last year, well into April.
Drop me a PM, and I may be able to give you more advice. And as already said the Bibbulmun Track Foundation people are very, very helpful, too.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick
Redtail
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory