Tent that is suitable for NT, QLD walking

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Tent that is suitable for NT, QLD walking

Postby abowen » Wed 28 Apr, 2010 3:48 pm

Does anyone know of some suitable lightweight tents for say walking the Jatbula Trail or the Hinchinbrook Thorsbourne Trail
? Or is a tent overkill. What do people recommend? Are bugs a problem? Is an UL single skin tent ok? Tarptents or the Wilderness Equipment single skins look ok - but not sure whethere this is the way to go?
Cheers
Andrew
Recent Walks:
Mt Gell
abowen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Tent that is suitable for NT, QLD walking

Postby north-north-west » Wed 28 Apr, 2010 6:53 pm

abowen wrote: Are bugs a problem?

Are they ever. The two most important things to pack are sunscreen and mozzie repellant.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Earthling » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 8:22 pm

I cant say Ive been on either of those trails, however, I have hiked and camped in both NT and QLD, top to bottom. I have used the Tarptent Contrail in Queensland and she has been very good for the job so far. Lets in a decent amount of airflow, is light, yet keeps the bugs out and more importantly the rain out too. I would be happy to camp in the tarptent in NT too. No probs...except if a cyclone was coming.....................

Go the tarptent. Light.
Sent from my home planet Earth using the World Wide Web
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Liamy77 » Sun 02 May, 2010 12:24 am

hard to beat a good basha or army style tarp but i used a hammock and a GOOD mozzie net with it...and some short strings off the hammock rope to drain rain off before it runs down to your bedding - might want a spare tarp or ground sheet - (can roast in a bivi bag) if u want to sleep on the ground though...
have a look at this for an idea of what i mean
http://www.wildearth.com.au/hikelite%C3 ... p-693.html
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby Liamy77 » Sun 02 May, 2010 12:27 am

oh ... you can use a hair tie - the rubber band type- to seal up the mozzie net or tuck it well under the bed if youre on the ground
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby davidmorr » Sun 02 May, 2010 9:06 pm

When I was on Hinchinbrook a couple of years ago, a number of people had Mossie Domes.

http://www.oztrail.com.au/dome-tent-ran ... -shelters/

Not really a heavy duty tent, and quite heavy, but very good ventilation for a hot and humid climate. Not sure how they coped in the 10 inches of rain we had on the last night.....
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby abowen » Mon 03 May, 2010 10:33 am

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering whether my MSR Hubba Hubba without fly would be ok - it wouldn't cope with any rain or showers though. The tarptent idea is appealing - good lightweight shelter that would definitely be bug proof and cope with any showers or rain.
Cheers
Andrew
Recent Walks:
Mt Gell
abowen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Earthling » Tue 04 May, 2010 11:39 am

abowen wrote:Thanks for the replies. I was wondering whether my MSR Hubba Hubba without fly would be ok - it wouldn't cope with any rain or showers though. The tarptent idea is appealing - good lightweight shelter that would definitely be bug proof and cope with any showers or rain.
Cheers
Andrew

The Hubba should be good for insect protection, which Im guessing is what your on about just taking the inner. Rains the problem....Ive been in central oz with no rain for months and the week I go trekking it rains....lucky I had a piece of light tarp to string up for that just in case scenario...
Pesonaly I would go the inner only if I had some shelter to camp under at night. Or maybe if you had a bivy bag plus tarp or something to stop most of the rain causing a bad nights sleep.
Tarptents easier.
Sent from my home planet Earth using the World Wide Web
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory