Bibbulmun Record 10 Days 18 hours

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bibbulmun Record 10 Days 18 hours

Postby Overlandman » Mon 01 Nov, 2021 3:35 pm

Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Bibbulmun Record 10 Days 18 hours

Postby Snooze » Tue 02 Nov, 2021 9:45 pm

Not to undermine her amazing achievement, it looks like she got a lot of support. Makes me wonder if there is a separate record for a completed unsupported walk of the Bibbulmun?
Snooze
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Bibbulmun Record 10 Days 18 hours

Postby EGM » Sat 06 Nov, 2021 8:37 am

Snooze wrote:Not to undermine her amazing achievement, it looks like she got a lot of support. Makes me wonder if there is a separate record for a completed unsupported walk of the Bibbulmun?

These records are known as FKTs or fastest known times. There are three categories and this time would be considered a supported record which is the most common. There are also self supported (food drops etc but all dropped by the person and no external help) and unsupported where there is no external help and all food and equipment is carried from the beginning except water.

FKT chasing hasn't really taken off in Australia yet but it's very popular in other places and the location pretty much dictates which level of supported is used. In the US they usually go for self or unsupported attempts where as in the UK supported attempts are the most common.

If you look into it there is an FKT for almost everything.

This is a great time but I reckon someone could take a day or two off it.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory