Favourite Walks in South Australia

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Favourite Walks in South Australia

Postby Maelgwn » Mon 02 Nov, 2009 11:18 am

Well i thought I would start a topic to see how many South Australian's there are kicking around...

So. What are your favourite walks in SA?

I am sure this will change in the future but mine are probably Edeowie Gorge in the Pound and Bunyip Chasm/Mount John Roberts/Rover Rock Hole loop in the Gammons.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Re: Favourite Walks in South Australia

Postby wander » Mon 02 Nov, 2009 11:58 am

Anywhere on the Heysen Range between The Pound & Parachilna Gorge.
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby photohiker » Mon 02 Nov, 2009 12:09 pm

I actually haven't done a lot of overnight walking in SA. Edeowie was on the list earlier in the year, but that got stuffed up. When I eventually got out to the Flinders it was raining and blowing so hard I gave it away and vegged out at Wilpena doing a few day walks. Next year...

Around Adelaide, I quite enjoy day walks in the Cleland area. It's very close to the city, and there are some challenging gradients and plenty of paths so you don't land up taking the same track all the time. I usually carry my GPS (not that you'r likely to get lost up there) and have been mapping the place as I go, you can see the results on OpenStreetMap: Cleland

I can easy make up a 20-30km day hike from home through the area with maybe 3-4km on low traffic public roads, the rest on tracks and trails.

The other hike I have done that was quite enjoyable was the Sea to Summit with Friends of the Heysen trail. It basically covered 30 odd km from around Seacliff to Mt Lofty Summit.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby seashell » Mon 02 Nov, 2009 12:25 pm

Edeowie Gorge is one of my favourites too. Well anywhere in the Flinders Ranges really. I sometimes miss living nearby, but now I have Mt Wellington nearby instead. :D

I'm heading back 'home' soon for a couple days and plan to get some walking in somehow, currently planning on heading to Morialta CP to do the Three Falls Circuit, hopefully they will still be flowing.
seashell
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby eggs » Mon 02 Nov, 2009 12:35 pm

I guess a favourite is more likely a walk you would repeat.
I have been to Pompey Pillar 2 times (when it was more open going from inside the pound) and Edeowie 3 times - so I guess it is right up there.

I was fortunate to eventually get to the Gammons this year and completed a loop from Bunyip to John Roberts, down Shelf Chasm, camped on Cleft and visited Rover Rockhole.
This was a truly magical walk - I think camping overnight on Streadman's Ridge & Cleft South were the highlights - though the gorges are pretty amazing too.

We do lots of "practise" walks in the Adelaide Hills and always enjoy the climb up Black Hill. For exercise, nothing beats the climb up Mt Lofty - though to spare my knees I reckon a flying fox down from the top would not be a bad idea :lol:

As a kid, we used to camp a lot in Mambray Creek - and we had a tough but enjoyable overnight circuit over the Battery and back through Alligator and Hidden Gorges last year.
Also had a fantastic walk from Horrocks Pass to Pichi Richi over Mt Horrocks and Mt Brown this year - the cool weather and verdant greens of winter growth made this a very enjoyable walk.

Deep Creek would also get some votes as a great spot to walk in. I need to try out the new overnight shelter hut which is on the track down there now.

Weather and water are major players in the difference between a good and bad walk though.
[Dryest state in the dryest continent in the world!]
In the Gallery I have posted photos from the 4 Flinders walks and generally use Adelaide Hills shots for the Australian photo competition.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ciaran » Mon 02 Nov, 2009 6:44 pm

As a scout I grew up in Deep Ck and the surrounding areas so this holds my most endearing memories. As a teen hiking with my dad was the forging of a sound bushwalking life. I visit the park many times to this date and still love the area.
Eggs, are you referring to the shelter between Cobbler Hill and the Trigg Campground? This is the Eagle Waterhole (hikers only) and it can also be accessed from the Aaron Creek day walk. Lovely spot, although a few red belly black snakes frequent this area. Mind you, you can usually spot one on any part of the walk down there.
I agree with wander, the track between Parachilna and the Pound is well worth a look and don't miss the Blinman Pools. A good day walk from the Parachilna Campground.
Anywhere in Mambrey Ck to Alligator Gorge is magnificent in early spring some really good walking here. Have done a track between Black Range (Mambrey Creek), across the Cannon Swamp and up to Mt Remarkable ( all part of the Heysen), thought that was truely inspiring.

But alas have seen nothing of the Gammon Ranges as yet, and Rosco from Flinders Camping keeps telling me to get my act together, :lol:
......yes, it's on the list! :)
Ciaran
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby eggs » Mon 02 Nov, 2009 8:30 pm

Yes - Eagle Waterhole is the one.
My son and his friend did a practise walk through there last year.

And I did enjoy a very easy walk to Blinman Pools with the kids when they were younger.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Mon 02 Nov, 2009 9:39 pm

Ciaran wrote:Rosco from Flinders Camping keeps telling me to get my act together, :lol:

I see him every now and then on the Mt Lofty track, but the shop looks like it's closed for good. I don't think that move into the alley next to Harris Scarfe's was such a good idea...
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Mon 02 Nov, 2009 10:36 pm

I understand the shift was part of a plan by Rosco to downsize the business with a view to exiting. He had another job lined up.
I certainly enjoyed shopping and chatting with them in there and am sad to see it gone.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Teegs » Tue 03 Nov, 2009 7:29 am

Having grown up right next door to Mt Remarkable National Park (the Mambray Creek end) I'd have to say anywhere in that park. As a quick, easy overnighter, Mambray Creek to Kingfisher camp for the night. When there is water in the creek , Kingfisher is a fantactic little spot.....made it into Aust Geographics top 10 camp sites back in Oct last year too!
Teegs
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Maelgwn » Tue 03 Nov, 2009 8:40 am

eggs wrote:I understand the shift was part of a plan by Rosco to downsize the business with a view to exiting. He had another job lined up.
I certainly enjoyed shopping and chatting with them in there and am sad to see it gone.

Yes Rosco is now working for DEH i believe. Haven't been to the store for years tho :?
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kt700 » Fri 27 Nov, 2009 10:49 am

Haven't been here for a while, but glad I am back and can contributre to this new SA forum!

Best walking for views is definitely Deep Creek. Awesome views of KI and always see a variety of animals: seals, dolphins, roos, koalas, lizards, birds and slithery snakes.

Around Adelaide the Yurrebilla Trail is a great new-ish trail and helped my partner and I train for the Overland Track. Lots of big hills, and plenty of surpirses, like Horsnell Gully.
kt700
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby mikethepike » Sun 06 Dec, 2009 12:24 am

Thanks for this post Maelgwn.
I think that wherever you are, any tracks through bushland with good native understorey plants are particularly rewarding and Scott Creek CP and parts of Mt Crawford come to mind. For a longer walk, the Heysen Trail from near The Bluff to Cape Jervis is probably my favourite part of the Trail with the various islands marking your progress and four lighthouse lights visible at one point. The Deep Creek area is probably my favourite part of that walk. I did it with someone on a weekend, catching the 3.30 bus from Adelaide to VH on a Friday and returning on the 9.30am SeaLink bus from Cape Jervis (recently changed to 8.45am). An extra day would be more relaxing as we walked past the Bluff on the Friday and walked two very long days and camped after dark on Fri. and Sunday.
In the Flinders Ranges, I remember seeing a note left in one of the cairn logbooks (possibly Iralbo Reak) by a member of a small party from Sydney stating that the skyline walk along the top of the Heysen Range has to be one of the best ridge-top walks in Australia and that supports Wander. They were walking south from Parachilna but I can't remember whether they were stopping a Bunyeroo or going all the way to Wilpena. If the latter was the case, I'm not sure how they dealt with their water supply.
Two very entertaining ridge-top walks are the short but sharp and winding Wyacca Range near Buckaringa and the surprisingly spectacular but low Yappala Range. In the Gammons, the round day trip up The Terraces and back to camp down Streak Gorge, is hard to beat.
mikethepike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jimbo42 » Sat 09 Jan, 2010 5:17 pm

Where to start? I've done a Warren Bonython and walked the length of the Flinders Ranges from Bowman's Park to Mt Hopeless Outstation on the Strezlecki track.

Has to be the Northern Flinders; from Freeling Heights down the Yudnamutana Gorge, then up to the top of The Armchair and Mt Painter and Mt Gee.
The Gammons; done a traverse of the Plateau. But my favourite areas have to be from Italowie Gorge and up to Cleft Peak, then over to the top of the Plateau by Prow Point/Four Winds Hill and down to North Tusk; it was a big buzz finding a note written by Warren still in the M&B canister in the cairn.
And climbing Patawarta; I take postcards of Hans Heysen's famous paintings with me and compare the reality with his painting; he was too brutal and painted the northern Flinders hot/dry/barren/eroded ; It looks much better than he painted it
And down the trail from Parachilna Gorge to Aroona Valley is beautiful; with side trips down the gorges.

Must do some more walking there; I've planned a trip from Moolawatana station thru the guts of Mawson Plateau up to Freeling Heights; then down on the eastern side to Humanity Seat and back to The Armchair.

Jimbo42
jimbo42
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 16 Feb, 2010 11:59 am

Anywhere in the Flinders, but especially St Mary's and Edeowie.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby iandsmith » Sun 06 Jun, 2010 12:30 am

Gosh, hope you guys are still reading this forum. I've just walked to Edeowie for the first time but wondered if it could be accessed more easily from the other side of the canyon. I remember looking from the road and thinking that would be an easier way in. Anyone tried it?
Cheers, Ian
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Maelgwn » Sun 06 Jun, 2010 11:21 am

iandsmith wrote:Gosh, hope you guys are still reading this forum. I've just walked to Edeowie for the first time but wondered if it could be accessed more easily from the other side of the canyon. I remember looking from the road and thinking that would be an easier way in. Anyone tried it?
Cheers, Ian

Do you mean from the western (or is it north western?) end that you want to access to it from?

It is possible to get to the bottom waterfall as a day walk from the property to that side. I can't remember the name of the property though but they are happy to have tourist traffic.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby eggs » Sun 06 Jun, 2010 3:37 pm

The station is Edeowie Station - and they have a website:
http://www.frabs.com.au/edeowie.htm
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby seashell » Sun 06 Jun, 2010 4:00 pm

I've done the walk into Edeowie from the Station end. I haven't done it from the other side, but i'd say it's a much easier way in, at least to the bottom of the mostly dry waterfall. There's a dirt, sandy in parts vehicle track/road that goes through the Station for a few km's to a gate/fence if I remember correctly. If you do use the track/road i'd advise letting someone at the Station know, as vehicles can get stuck in the sandy areas. I might add it's been over 10 years since I went there, but i'd say not much would have changed since then.
Last edited by seashell on Sun 12 Sep, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seashell
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby SJR » Mon 14 Jun, 2010 7:40 pm

Mt Brown and Devils Peak are good short walks well rewarded with great views. Mt Remarkable is a good walk too but disappointing in the lack of view from the summit. As someone else has said you can't beat Waterfall Gully to Mt Lofty for a good quick walk (well not so quick now I'm in my 50's) to keep the fitness level up.

I'm hoping to do Mt Falkland in the Heysen Range later this year. Has anyone whos' done it got advice about the best route?
SJR
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby scrub master » Sat 19 Jun, 2010 4:49 pm

to get to Faulkland, i've always started at Angorichina and followed Wild Dog Creek to the Heysen Trail (Aroona Valley). The spur opposite the creek junction gives good access to the range but care needs to be taken negotiating the cliff lines near the top. It's possible to pick a line through them without too much difficulty. If you've got the time, it's an excellent traverse south along the range over Mt Bell & Nintenta Pk to dead goat soak where there is exellent camping and fairly reliable water and then head east across to Blinman Pools and back to Angorichina. With an early start on day one, this is an excellent 3 day walk - one of my favourites.The map shows the route I normally take split into days

faulkland.jpg

My favourite area in SA is the northern Flinders, particularly the Gammons. Particularly fond of Prow Pt and the waterfalls in the western branch of the bunyip system up past Crocker waterfall and onto Blue Range
scrub master
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby iandsmith » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 12:29 am

Thanks for the info fellas on the lower Edeowie walk (or western end). I figured it had to be easier.
Perhaps I should add walking The Breakaways as one of my favourites also. I'll try and include a couple of pics.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (36.99 KiB) Viewed 26285 times
Breakaways panorama (7) sp.jpg
The trip - The Breakaways 161.jpg
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 13 Jul, 2010 7:36 pm

I've changed my mind. My favourite Sozzie walk is a very short one: from the carpark at Pics down to the pontoon. Doesn't matter whether I'm diving or not, it's just such a beautiful, peaceful place (when there aren't any tourists around).
MtG8.jpg
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby mikethepike » Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:40 pm

iandsmith wrote
Perhaps I should add walking The Breakaways as one of my favourites also. I'll try and include a couple of pics.

I think that those are three exceptionally good pics Ian. Congrats and thanks for posting.

In contrast to the wetter hillier Flinders, bushwalkers generally tend to avoid the flatter more arid parts of ther state but I'm thinking that once you sort out water issues, these may have a lot to offer. I'm soon to do some walking to and along Lake Torrens and though the teraain is flat except for sandy rises, I've little doubt the whole experience will be as engaging and interesting (but perhaps not always as scenic) as in the Flinders. West of my planned walk and east of Hesso on the Stuart Highway, lie 4 mesa or meso like peaks (viz Uro Bluff, Hob Hill, Fleet Hill and Bluff Point (Uro 1:50,000 topo map) and I just can't help thinking how this area could be an interesting place to walk though walks may need to be limited to 2 days duration due to the likely need to carry all water.
Mike
mikethepike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby iandsmith » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 11:34 am

Mmm, I can confidently say that when I went to Lake Torrens about a month ago the only water I say (apart from the occasional pond) was all a mirage. Keep your eye open for fossils also. We came across some (coming in from Andamooka) on top of a small hill en route.
Attachments
Lake Torrens trip (35).jpg
Lake Torrens trip (20).jpg
Lake Torrens trip (41).jpg
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby eggs » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 12:13 pm

I suspect Lake Torrens [west from the Flinders] gets water more rarely than other outback lakes.
Lake Eyre is currently getting a lot of water coming down from Queensland
You could actually see water in Lake Frome [East from Flinders] and other lakes from the tops of the Gammons.

This is a telephoto shot of Lake Frome - nowhere near full, but a fair bit there - including reflections from the islands.
9928LakeFrome.jpg
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kayos_51 » Mon 29 Nov, 2010 8:32 am

Just noticed this topic. It's great.
Two favorite SA walks:
1. Mawson Plateau
The most extraordinary and unexpected place. Very remote and hard to access but worth the trouble. Rugged granite country with a beautiful series of permanent water holes for miles along the creeks. We've walked in both from the west - over Freeling Heights and down to T Junction Waterhole - and from Hidden Valley on the eastern side - didn't make it as far as T Junction that trip. Next year we plan to combine both - in from one side and out the other. (Excessively arduous car shuffle involved.)
2. Edeowie Gorge
Our route was a loop from the Wilpena car park, north along the Heysen Trail, up over the saddle next to Mount Abrupt (camped there) then down into Edeowie Creek (second camp), up the creek into the Pound and back to the car. The gorge is huge and stunning but I, and others in our party, do not like heights so we had to find a way up that avoided climbing the falls. After much head scratching and searching we came upon a small gully about 500m(?) downstream from the main falls. This led up to the high ground (with views N-W off the escarpment) where we were able to skirt along the cliff tops and then scramble back down another gully into the creek just above the falls. Scenery equal to anything in Oz.
kayos_51
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby photohiker » Tue 30 Nov, 2010 9:03 am

Hey Kayos,

How many days was your Edeowie trip? You didn't happen to log a GPS trail did you? I'm thinking of doing a St Marys/Edeowie trip in the Autumn and your circuit looks interesting.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby philm » Mon 03 Jan, 2011 4:57 pm

Hi Best walks we have completed are in ther Gammon Ranges - Bunyip Chasm then Mount John Roberts and on to Fern Chasm.

Tough environment but scenery is fantastic

Phil
119_1989.JPG
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kayos_51 » Tue 04 Jan, 2011 12:12 pm

photohiker wrote:How many days was your Edeowie trip? You didn't happen to log a GPS trail did you?

Michael

From memory we left Wilpena late morning on a Friday and got back about 5pm on the Sunday but that required a very solid march across the Pound on the Sunday afternoon. Sorry, no GPS log.
kayos_51
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Next

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory