Favourite Walks in South Australia

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Favourite Walks in South Australia

Postby dlawson » Tue 04 Jan, 2011 6:47 pm

Telowie Gorge Conservation Park is also a nice walk. It can be a bit tricky if there is a lot of water in the gorge, as it involves a bit of scrambling around the gorge walls. Although, if you are happy to get a bit wet, well it would be easy in any season :-).

telowie.JPG
telowie.JPG (295.65 KiB) Viewed 5839 times
Darryl
dlawson
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Postby jez_au » Thu 24 Mar, 2011 11:30 am

jimbo42 wrote:I've done a Warren Bonython and walked the length of the Flinders Ranges from Bowman's Park to Mt Hopeless Outstation on the Strezlecki track.

Has to be the Northern Flinders; from Freeling Heights down the Yudnamutana Gorge, then up to the top of The Armchair and Mt Painter and Mt Gee.

Cool stuff jimbo. I haven't read this post before. We're walking from Arkaroola to Mt Hopeless and Moolawatana next weekend, well planning to, provided it stays dry, otherwise might be too muddy (375mm rain so far this year compared to less than 99mm average). Of course we'll be very sad if we cant walk. We'll be doing Mt Painter, Armchair, Yudnamutana Gorge along the way. Have walked the entire Heysen Trail, then two weeks from Parachilna Gorge to Angepena Station and onto Arkaroola through Mainwater Pound. When did you walk it?
blogs - www.jeremyc.com
peak bagging - peakclimbs.com
jez_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby eggs » Fri 23 Sep, 2011 1:50 pm

Just did the Falkland 3 day walk in reverse to scrubmasters post.
Please note that the authorities are rather worried about people wandering around the area these days. There are reports of people getting lost and attempting walks without any knowledge of the area or the risks.

As a result - they are worried if vehicles are left unattended for a day or 2 - as in our case. So make sure you advise police/station owners of what you are doing.

Note - temp probably got to 27-28 on the top traverse, and the scrub on this traverse of the Heysen Range was tough.
I have done some tough walks and I am not near peak walking fitness - but the 2 main days were tough going. We mainly felt a great loss of moisture and needed to carry more water or break up the walk in to shorter sections.

Terrific country though..
6626TorrensBelowBluffsm.jpg
Lake Torrens in the distance past bluffs near the top of Mt Bell
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby mikethepike » Mon 26 Sep, 2011 11:39 pm

Not so much a favorite walk but certainly the most entertaining day that I've ever had in the Flinders, it was a walk from Bathtub Creek to Iralbo summit. The climb up starts upstream (east) of the Bathtub, up a dirt slope between rocks until you come to a short but steep rock escarpment (read cliff), After that, you go easily up a smooth rock slab and then along more dirty ground until you come to a second escarpment, 6-7 metres and very steep but plenty of holds. You arrive at the southern end of a sharp rock ridge and follow it hand over hand till it peters out before the south summit - if the rock was any sharper, you'd need gloves! That was a few years ago and though I've been twice back though the gorge on other trips and each time had a quick scout for the start of that route, I've not found it. I was with a couple of OS backpackers at the time and we were extremely lucky to have found the route - once you are on it, it's either up or down, there's no escape to left or right. One day I intend to find the start of that climb and get its GPS fix as it truly is at the start of a most exciting walk though not everyone's cup of tea.
mikethepike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory