Walpole to Denmark Bibbulmun

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Walpole to Denmark Bibbulmun

Postby SueO1988 » Wed 17 Apr, 2019 12:14 am

Hi;
Four of us are planning hiking the Walpole to Denmark section of the track in July. We are avid hikers and did the Larapinta last year self guided. We will only have 5 nights and just need some advice on how to break it up. When I looked at the sections it says from Rame Head to Harbour 34km. I have also read that you may have to walk 10km on the road which I'm not keen on. All advice greatly appreciated or blogs on this section.
Thanks heaps in advance.
Cheers Sue
SueO1988
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Walpole to Denmark Bibbulmun

Postby lseries92 » Wed 17 Apr, 2019 9:15 am

Hi Sue.

Peaceful Bay is between Rame Head and Boat Harbour. It is not really a town but more a small coastal community. There is a caravan park with general store there so it means you can get a meal and maybe restock on the (probably very) basic items so you can cut down how much food you carry. I have been told the fish and chips is pretty good ...

I am planning an end to end later in the year so I invested in the maps and guidebooks - As you are in Brisbane you are welcome to borrow the ones for that section if that is helpful. So far I was also planning 5 nights between Walpole and Denmark as follows:

Day 1: Walpole to Frankland 18km
Day 2: Frankland to Giants 15km
Day 3: Giants to Peaceful Bay 29.2km
Day 4: Peaceful Bay to Boat Harbour 23km
Day 5: Boat Harbour to William Bay 20.4km
Day 6: William Bay to Denmark 22km (20km to the river mouth and 2km into town)

Day 2 factors in some time spent at the Valley of the Giants on the way through but Day 3 may be a tough day - you could cut it down by staying at Rame Head but this would add another 10+km to the next day that already involves a long beach walk.
lseries92
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory