Which is the best store in Brisbane?

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Which is the best store in Brisbane?

Postby carrie » Tue 08 Nov, 2011 12:27 pm

Hi
I'm wanting to buy new hiking boots, my beloved, too old ones have finaly retired. Its been years since I bought them.

Does anyone know a good store that has helpful knowledgable staff in Brisbane?? Have been to a couple, and they havent been very helpful. I prepared to spend a fair bit, so dont want to make the wrong choice.

Or what should I be looking for when trying them on?
carrie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Which is the best store in Brisbane?

Postby farkewie » Tue 08 Nov, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi,

I have always had good service at K2 Basecamp (the one with the climbing gear upstairs). They guys in there are pretty into everything outdoors. I plan on getting shoes soon this would be my first choice, though most my research would be online so a lot of where I go will be based on if they stock the shoes I have on my shortlist.
farkewie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cams » Tue 08 Nov, 2011 3:45 pm

I'll second that. K2 staff have had the best shoe fitting training I've experienced in any of the Brisbane shops and have a good range of quality gear. Downside is that they don't really hop on the big sales bandwagon. But they are usually willing to match prices at least so it's worth asking.

Unfortunately though, you'll probably have to end up just trying all the shops. The biggest difference in fit will come from different brands and different shops stock different brands. On that note though, K2 seem to be the only ones that deliberately stock wider fitting brands.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby blacksheep » Tue 08 Nov, 2011 4:16 pm

I'd say Tim at macpac is up there on footwear assistance and knowledge. See him for checking out scarpa boots.
Good design is a kind of alchemy.
www.alchemy-equipment.com
blacksheep

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TBA.
Region: New Zealand

Postby Pteropus » Tue 08 Nov, 2011 8:42 pm

I too have found the staff at K2 to be very knowledgeable and helpful, and shop there if I haven’t done all my research or am not 100% sure on some product or something like that. Paddy Pallin and Mountain Designs also have some knowledgeable staff, though they often seem to have a lot of casual staff who are not so knowledgeable. The casual staff seem to be in store most when they are having the sales (Mtn Designs always seems to have a sale on!). They are still good if they know their limitations and ask more experienced staff for help. I doubt they would be allowed to fit a shoe without training. I have had good experiences with staff from all three mentioned stores in the Valley and the Toowong Mtn Designs. It might come down to what brand of boots they stock.
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby Major Icehole » Fri 11 Nov, 2011 11:02 am

Another vote for K2. Not the cheapest, but clearly the best, most knowledgeable staff. I've really liked talking to most of the staff. I'm more willing to pay a few extra dollars if I think I'm being taken care of.
Major Icehole
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby fitdingo » Wed 07 Dec, 2011 10:03 am

K2 are great. I bought boots for myself and my wife and they helped with getting her boots replaced after an untimely demise. Great service and good knowledge.
fitdingo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Queensland