Snakes everywhere - well, SEQ at least

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Snakes everywhere - well, SEQ at least

Postby Ticklebelly » Sat 05 Nov, 2011 7:27 pm

Did a little reccy to Conondale NP (just west of Maleny) before doing the great walk there next week. Quite impressed by the number snakes seen on the way there and in the park itself. I moved two, two metre, carpet pythons off the road through the NP and even had one under my chair in the camp ground. Had a good look at a couple of Yellow Face Whip snakes doing what they do, as well. Lots of snakes seen on the drive from Brissy to the NP and lots of dead ones seen on the roads. I have put out the word to my walking companions to carry a broad bandage each, just in case, and I hope I'm not being over the top and might cause a couple of the girls to pull out.

Anyone else notice a large upsurge in snake numbers this year?

Ticklebelly.
Ticklebelly
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Snakes everywhere - well, SEQ at least

Postby Major Icehole » Sat 05 Nov, 2011 9:02 pm

Enjoy your walk this weekend! We're back from the Cooloola great walk last weekend. No snake sightings there. We did see four pythons when we did the Conondale walk though.

Pythons I'm fine with, it's the venomous ones I'm not keen to see.
Major Icehole
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby shardie » Sun 06 Nov, 2011 8:01 am

a few weeks ago, on the ridge leading up to Mt Razorback (near Lamington NP), I had cause to do the 'Snake Two Step in double time' twice in the first hour......after which time, my walking companion and I made an effort to walk 'noisely' from that point on. :D
shardie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Pteropus » Sun 06 Nov, 2011 4:02 pm

Ticklebelly wrote:Did a little reccy to Conondale NP (just west of Maleny) before doing the great walk there next week. Quite impressed by the number snakes seen on the way there and in the park itself. I moved two, two metre, carpet pythons off the road through the NP and even had one under my chair in the camp ground. Had a good look at a couple of Yellow Face Whip snakes doing what they do, as well. Lots of snakes seen on the drive from Brissy to the NP and lots of dead ones seen on the roads. I have put out the word to my walking companions to carry a broad bandage each, just in case, and I hope I'm not being over the top and might cause a couple of the girls to pull out.

Anyone else notice a large upsurge in snake numbers this year?

Ticklebelly.

It is always good advice to carry a broad restriction bandage in case of snake bite, so no Ticklebelly, you are not being over the top. Gaiters are a good idea too. The last two wet seasons in Qld have caused the bush to flourish (it’s so green out there!) and many species are likely to have responded to the wet, which generally has a positive effect on animal’s food resources. Snakes mainly feed on frogs, rodents and small marsupials, which can rapidly increase in numbers with wet conditions.
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Return to Queensland