Beginner Trails SEQ

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Beginner Trails SEQ

Postby tigerprawn » Wed 22 Jun, 2011 4:40 pm

Hi

I recently finished a 4 day hike through the sunshine coast hinterland national park of Conondale National Park. I also recently did Mt Warning and did the Thorsborne trail on Hinchinbrook island a little while back. I absolutely loved these tracks and am really starting to enjoy hiking and bushwalking.

I'm wondering where are the best beginner trails for SEQ. I've heard that peasants ridge on Barney is good, but tough and technical. To give you some info, I'm 27 and a keen mountain biker and triathlete and wondering if I'm fine to go up the Peasants Ridge with some of my mates on Mt Barney.

On top of that, what would be the best day trails and multiday trails to kick off this new enjoyment in SEQ. Something that is challenging and rewarded with some great views and scenery would be fantastic.

Cheers
tigerprawn
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Beginner Trails SEQ

Postby cams » Thu 23 Jun, 2011 10:59 am

If you haven't seen it already check out the Mt. Barney thread for lots of good information and some photo's etc. viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4871

I'd say Peasants Ridge is tough but not particularly technical. As described in all the notes there is only one bit of scrambling that has much of a danger factor but if the weather is dry there shouldn't be any issues. If you're a triathlete I don't think you'll have much trouble fitness wise. Just allow enough time and take all the usual necessities and precautions.

Grab the book "Take a Walk in SE Qld". It is the only one readily available these days, but I've found it to be very good for finding day walks.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Beginner Trails SEQ

Postby shardie » Thu 23 Jun, 2011 7:59 pm

Be sure to add Mt Barney's Peasant trail to your 'must do' especially during these winter months........its actually not a bad idea to combine your mountain bike to this hike.
Here's a plan.....aim to be at Yellowpinch carpark between 6-7am; ride the 2.5-3KM of dirt road to the base of Mt Barney; ditch & lock the bikes in a bit of scrub (unseen from the trial); allow 5-6 hrs to get up & back (with a scenic 30 mins at the top); get back on the bikes & pleasantly coast (while relaxing your knees, quads & calves) back DOWN the dirt track to you car. Note: Be sure not to overtly gloat as you pass bedraggled fellow Mt Barney bushwalkers as you effortlessly glide back to your car. :D
Mt Maroon is also in the same area & should also be done during the winter months.
A bit further south but a great starter in the SEQ is Mt Cougal East Peak, and all the Sprinbrook National Park walks.
Cunningham Gap offers - Mt Cordaux & Mt Mitchell.
Before you get to Cunningham's Gap there is also Mt Mathieson & Mt Greville.
Feel free to drop me a line (shawn.jo@gmail.com) & i can share some photos, GPS files & trail descriptions
shardie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Return to Queensland