Mount Maroon track closure

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mount Maroon track closure

Postby Phil Box » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 5:09 pm

The access track from Cotswold to the summit of Mt. Maroon has been closed indefinitely due to major rockfall. It seems that a recent storm plus all the rain we have been having over winter has dislodged some pretty major tonnage of rock which has spilled down the gully which of course is where the access track runs up. Seems that Queenslanders are losing access to more mountains than most states. Could be that nat parks is being a little cautious for most of those closures however this track closure is the real deal given some of the evidence lying on the ground for all to see.

Huge gums have been chopped off halfway up the trunk. Imaging the boulders flying through the air to have caused that. Dunno if I would be wanting to be in the vicinity when that happened. It does seem to me that nat parks should be proactive in coming up with close by alternative solutions. That said there aren't that many alternatives. Access may be gained from Maggies Farm, Paddy's Plain and via the north west ridge. Any persons found walking up the Cotswold ridge will be prosecuted. Sad for anyone who wants to climb at Viewpoint or do what I did once and simply climb the ridge all the way to the top and avoid the gully altogether.

Phil....
Phil Box
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Mount Maroon track closure

Postby Cocksy_86 » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 1:24 pm

Glad I wasn't there to witness it :D
Cocksy from Down Under
http://www.seqhistory.com
Cocksy_86
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Mount Maroon track closure

Postby Widgee » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 7:47 pm

This is a shame, but maybe a blessing. I walked this route a couple of months ago. It was seriously degraded. Probably time to give it a break.
Widgee
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Queensland