Mt. Alexander

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt. Alexander

Postby trowland » Fri 05 Apr, 2024 7:33 pm

Hi all, just wondering if anyone here has previously climbed/has any info on climbing Mt. Alexander (adjacent to Jingeri Nature Refuge)?

I've done a bit of searching, and haven't been able to find any info online or in any books. Given the lack of informaiton, I assume this means I'll likely be dealing with a tough bushbash without any notable views - but would greatly appreciate any info that anyone has.
trowland
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Mt. Alexander

Postby ofuros » Sat 06 Apr, 2024 6:23 am

Looks to be just outside the Np on private property. Camping grounds in the valley may be able to help with access info.

Northern slopes of spurs look fairly open while the southern slopes are more dense.
I spy old farmers tracks wriggling upwards.
Ridgeline looks doable from Duck Ck Rd too.
Last edited by ofuros on Sat 06 Apr, 2024 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby izzeho » Sat 06 Apr, 2024 2:01 pm

I have climbed it many times. Lovely views towards the west and a large cairn with a tribute to Fr Denis Ward. Logbook is extremely active from a fair few locals who like to climb it at least once a fortnight.

The track ascends following the ridgeline from the north west with no real navigation issues, starting around here:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/cGbBgH48vLM5hCEs7

I access from the Duck Creek Road side, but you should be able to access from Kerry Road as well. I've yet to figure out who (or how!), but quite often the route up and the summit has been mowed and cleared, but it can get overgrown with lantana. Once summited, make sure to explore the top including north west, as there are some nice views up Duck Creek Road.

As stated above, it's private property, but have had no issues with owners of the pastureland on the southside of Duck Creek Road. I would not recommend trying to access from south or north east due to the thick weeds and steepness.

Climb.jpeg

Summit.jpeg
izzeho
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ofuros » Sat 06 Apr, 2024 3:10 pm

Nice... :)
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby dalehikes » Sun 28 Apr, 2024 7:38 am

I was fortunate to have the land owner invite me for a walk up there last year. He goes up there often. We followed a bunch of the trails and roads around the mountain. Lots of good views, beautiful grass tree forest, a healthy pack of glossy cockatoos.
A really nice mountain for a cruisy walk!
dalehikes
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Queensland