East and West Canungra Creek tracks

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

East and West Canungra Creek tracks

Postby Don R » Thu 12 Oct, 2023 7:03 am

It’s been many years since I’ve walked from Blue Pool at Lamington to the junction of East and West Canungra creeks , and even then the track was being subsumed by regrowth. The last time I reached the junction it was by going up part of the Central Traverse and walking north on top of the ridge. Has anyone gone to the junction recently? I presume that the west Canungra Creek track has disappeared as completely as it’s eastern counterpart. Just curious.
Don R
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: East and West Canungra Creek tracks

Postby dalehikes » Wed 20 Dec, 2023 7:38 am

Hi Don,

I have done numerous trips around this area in the last few years. I'll keep it to dot points as it will be easier that way.
- Trail from Blue pool to Stairway is well trodden and easily followable at all of the bends in the creek - in straights its easier in the creek.
- From Stairway to Junction the trail is 75% gone with the remaining followable but not worth the trouble. Its easier and more enjoyable to stay in the creek.
- From Junction up East Canungra the trail is mostly gone but appears in places and is sometimes well formed, but overall it is better to stick to the creek. Some signs remain in places.
- From Junction following the ridge to join MR traverse, last i did it the vegetation was mostly agreeable and didnt hinder time allowances.
dalehikes
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: East and West Canungra Creek tracks

Postby Don R » Fri 22 Dec, 2023 1:40 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I went and did the loop back in October. Conditions were fine, as I didn’t expect there to be any remnants of the old tracks (I’ve not been on them for decades). I found it easier, albeit slower to go back on the Middle Ridge traverse.
Don R
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Queensland