Thorsborne Trail - Hinchinbrook Island

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Thorsborne Trail - Hinchinbrook Island

Postby Dexter » Sat 20 Aug, 2022 12:43 pm

Hi all,

I thought I'd ask some questions in regards to booking... and perhaps any future questions that I might have assuming I can get a spot on the trail.

I'm interested in walking this trail - flying in from Melbourne with 2 friends. I was thinking of aiming for June - August next year. I'm having a little trouble working out the booking system. As far as I can tell you can only book six months in advance which is fine, but just playing around with the site I can't see campsites as available (or applicable) for any date at all no matter what date is selected. I've attached a screenshot of what I'm seeing. The green dot at the top seems to indicate this is okay... if you adjust the date too far (past 6 months) it turns to a cross. But campsites available always has 'N/A'. So is this simply 'Not Applicable' because I'm booking the trail rather than individual campsites? When I progress forward, and choose 'Book site' it indicates that the number of people exceeds the maximum. I'm wondering if this means each of us have to do our own booking, or is there a seperate way to book for a party of walkers?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 12.35.04 pm.png
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Thorsborne Trail - Hinchinbrook Island

Postby Equivocator » Sat 20 Aug, 2022 8:59 pm

You don't book specific campsites, the Thorsborne trail permit allows you to camp at any of the 6 Trail campsites any night of your booking.
In your picture there is 38 'people slots' available to book for the trail.
On the next screen (after you click book) you set the amount of people. Up to a maximum group size of 6 (so you can book for your mates.) If there is only 2 slots left on a given day, it wont let you select 3 people for that particular day.

You won't see 38 slots free when you go to book June-Aug. I had to stay up to midnight 3 nights in a row to eventually be able to book (4 pax)

Good luck
Equivocator
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Dexter » Sat 20 Aug, 2022 9:11 pm

Excellent!! Thanks for that. That was what I suspected in regards to specific campsites but wanted to make sure. Most of the walks down this way you need to book individual sites which is a pain in the bum.

So do you mean I wont see 38 because those months are so popular? And why does it help to stay up multiple nights. If they have been booked out then how does it change the following night?

Im happy to set myself reminders and snipe my way into getting these passes so long as I know what I’m doing haha.

Thanks again :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Equivocator » Fri 26 Aug, 2022 4:08 pm

Most of the walks down this way you need to book individual sites which is a pain in the bum.

I would say most of the walks here are like that too, though obviously with exceptions.

Yeah, 'The Season' to hike is Winter and winter shoulder months, and it's a very popular trail. It gets fully booked out in season.
They release the next day (6 months in advance) at midnight. I missed out (other people also staying up until midnight were faster than me) the first 2 nights I stayed up until midnight...

You can also check back regularly if you miss out, as people do occasionally cancel their permits opening up slots.
Equivocator
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Dexter » Sun 28 Aug, 2022 2:42 pm

Excellent. Thanks. We’ll have to be flexible on dates I’d think and just give it a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Queensland