Misty Mountains, Worth a visit?

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Misty Mountains, Worth a visit?

Postby The ghost who walks » Sun 26 Sep, 2021 10:55 am

We are looking at doing the Thorsborne Trail next June and are now looking for other walks up north to do while we are up there.
I came across a PDF map of the Misty Mountains trail system which interested me. Looking around the web there is very scant information and the stuff I can find is outdated.
So, my question is: Is it worth a trip? I am mainly interested in multiday walk options.
Are the tracks in a reasonable condition? I am getting a bit tired of bashing through lantana and wait a while.
Leeches? Ticks? Rain? (We are looking at June next year)
On paper a loop from somewhere along the Tully Falls Road via Walters Waterhole, Cochable Creek camping area, Hinson Creek camping area, Canabullen Creek camping area and back to Cardwell Range trailhead looks interesting.
Are there proper maps or walk descriptions available?
Is that a reasonable thing to plan?
Cheers
The ghost who walks
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Misty Mountains, Worth a visit?

Postby sandym » Sun 26 Sep, 2021 7:19 pm

Have not walked there since 2013 but at that time they were overgrown, unmarked, full of stinging trees, scrub, lantana, wait a while, etc. etc. I have a friend who lives in Cairns who said there were great plans for the trail system but nothing eventuated. I swore off after doing two or three walks all of which were just thick bushwacks to nowhere. YYMV.
sandym
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Misty Mountains, Worth a visit?

Postby bauplenut » Mon 27 Sep, 2021 5:08 pm

In 2015 did the Misty Mtns Cardwell Range track. Ok walk, not a lot of interest along the way though, it is just an old logging road that is now a track. Cannabullen Falls is good. Had tried other tracks but they were very overgrown and not defined so retreated.

An alternative may be Paluma Range north of Townsville, has over 100 km well marked and maintained rainforest tracks, you could design a multi-day walk there using that track network. Several waterfalls, giant strangler trees, rainforest.

Anywhere in tropical rainforests you will get leeches :D
bauplenut
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Return to Queensland