Barney routes post fire

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Barney routes post fire

Postby IDP » Mon 14 Sep, 2020 12:30 pm

Wondering how others have found walking routes on Barney following last years' fires.
Certainly I've found Logan's to be good and a little more open. However, have also been particularly enjoying North a few times over the last month. Little traffic and the views have been superb all the way up.
Has anyone been up Savages lately?
IDP
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Barney routes post fire

Postby CBee » Mon 14 Sep, 2020 4:22 pm

Savages is pretty bare in the bottom 3/4 and quick to progress. Some weeds are growing back but the first section of rock outcrops is very loose.
SE was badly incinerated especially bottom half with lots of loose blocks and ash.
Spur is still a struggle with the scrub and the ridges to the east are still chocked with lantana.
Short leaning is still the same.
Logan's pretty much the same.
Eagles: the bit up Isolated is very loose and difficult.
Isolated ridges same as before, with the bush of rocky creek now easier to navigate.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby dalehikes » Tue 15 Sep, 2020 9:59 am

Adding to CBee's comments, Midget ridge from all reports poses no problem.

As the burnt sections still have a lot of wide open canopy, heat will become a huge factor in the coming months.
With such massive surge in popularity, I feel Barney could see a lot of heat related incidents this summer.
dalehikes
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby IDP » Thu 17 Sep, 2020 1:26 pm

Thanks for that CBee
Agree that the lower parts of SE are quite affected and with the enormous volume of traffic, will continue to erode
IDP
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby gbagua » Fri 25 Sep, 2020 10:07 am

dalehikes wrote:Adding to CBee's comments, Midget ridge from all reports poses no problem.

As the burnt sections still have a lot of wide open canopy, heat will become a huge factor in the coming months.
With such massive surge in popularity, I feel Barney could see a lot of heat related incidents this summer.

Did a recon hike Sunday the 13th on Long Leaning as this time we will climb the crack located on the right side of the first large slab section rather than contouring westwards and going up (slabby scramble) and it was hot, bearable but hot. Last Sunday was good at Frog Buttress (climbing though but when the sun popped up it was a torture). This week has seen a noticeable temp. increase and certainly it will be my last hike In Barney this season. Way too hot for me!

The main LP track very dusty. Probably due to increased traffic. Arrived to the car with shoes covered in a stick layer of dust and dirt.

Luckily we have a product called Nikwax. :)
gbagua

Return to Queensland