Ballow Junction / T Junction Remote Camps in Mt Barney NP?

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Ballow Junction / T Junction Remote Camps in Mt Barney NP?

Postby Equivocator » Tue 23 Jun, 2020 8:09 pm

Thinking of heading in to either of these 2 camps, have done Mt Barney Creek downstream from Upper portals through to lower, but never gone upstream from Yamahra Ck.
So definitely ok with rock hopping, some scramble and a swim if I have to (though... maybe not in this weather...)

Doesn't look like a long day from Cleared Ridge at all but things can change if the entire creek is covered in Lantana/Stinging nettle. Anyone had any recent experience up that way?

Cheers.
Equivocator
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Ballow Junction / T Junction Remote Camps in Mt Barney N

Postby Aardvark » Wed 24 Jun, 2020 9:25 am

Don't mind me. I'm out of my league commenting on such a walk.
Last edited by Aardvark on Wed 24 Jun, 2020 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Wed 24 Jun, 2020 5:37 pm

No help I'm afraid...but would be interested to hear about your Barney Ck rockhopping adventure up to the 'T' junction camp. Good luck. :wink:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CBee » Wed 24 Jun, 2020 8:12 pm

If it's like Cronan creek upstream from the falls, a real nightmare. But according to this trip report https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/b ... e-22231097, looks like very doable.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Equivocator » Mon 29 Jun, 2020 10:24 am

We didnt push onto T Junction, Ballow Creek was enough for some of the group. "More than enough" I was told... lots of fallen trees and a few not too confident on rock hopping. I would definitely suggest people are comfortable with that before heading in.

Ballow Creek sites were ok, tucked in the rainforest. Was clear people had camped there but overgrown. We camped South West of the junction in the rainforest area.

I plan to do a solo trip some time in the future to get to T Junction. Creek is beautiful the whole way up. Didnt see any stinging nettle (surprisingly)but some wait-a-while and other vines/spikes. Lots of branches, from the fallen trees, to push past too. Rangers had chainsawed some near the 1km mark, but didnt notice a rhyme or reason to which ones they chose to cut/leave (they looked similar age)

Swapped sides many times, didnt seem to favour either bank.

https://equivocatorsadventures.blogspot ... on-mt.html
Equivocator
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Queensland