Conondale Great Walk

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Conondale Great Walk

Postby metastable » Sat 29 Jan, 2022 5:32 am

I've had this booked in to do next week for over a year, and have a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone been on the track recently, even just the day walks? What the track condition? Given the rain lately, I'm guessing it's pretty wet
2. Does anyone know if the Bellbird Teahouse is still there and the owner offers to drop people off at the start? Can you park anywhere at the start for 4 days?
metastable
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Conondale Great Walk

Postby turley85 » Tue 01 Feb, 2022 10:51 am

I walked the great walks track counter-clockwise in mid January. I didn't have a 4wd, so parked just outside the first creek crossing and hiked in at Booloumba creek.

Track was all in good condition and well marked. A few tree's down that you'll need to navigate, watch out for lawyer vine (or the like), and the grass is long in some sections after all the rain we've had.
Lots of leeches, so wear deet on your feet. I also regularly encountered snakes on the tallowwood/wongai section, so be alert. Also, make sure you take enough water for this section (as there are no easily accessible creeks until you get closer to the camps).
turley85
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Equivocator » Wed 09 Feb, 2022 3:38 pm

1. I was there October and walked most of Day 1 (or Day 4, depending on direction...) Track condition was good then, but as you've said; A lot of rain lately.
2. Don't know about the Teahouse, but parking depends on if you have a 2wd, High Clearance 2wd, or 4wd... and how confident you are...

There is some space to park before the first Creek Crossing (which is usually shallow, 2wd when normal, non-rainy, conditions) but don't block the farmers gate. You usually see 2wd cars parked there, especially on popular weekends where friends ferry others into Camp with 4wds. Adds a bit to the walk. Second crossing is a little bit deeper, I would suggest high clearance. Not too much suitable parking spaces, but I've seen it done. 3rd can go either way... but 4wd is god to feel comfortable for all 3.
After the 3rd Creek Crossing there is the Day use Area. Parking is right in front of the Start/Finish of the Walk and Sign. Adjacent to a handy Toilet Block.
Equivocator
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby bigkev » Sun 13 Feb, 2022 6:14 pm

Possibly too late for the op however I walked the CRGW over 3 days at the end of December. The three water crossings before the start were too deep for most conventional cars. The track was generally fairly clear and obvious. Not sure about the tea house.

My main memories were of the amount of leeches and snakes - still you've got to expect that in summer in QLD I think.

I've done a bit of a trip report https://goinferalonedayatatime.blogspot ... ongai.html - I'll probably get day 2 and 3 online within the next week.
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby johk » Thu 24 Mar, 2022 8:40 pm

Hi,

After all the rain we had how do you think the track will be during Easter?
Do you think it will be 'walkable"

Thanks
J
johk
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby metastable » Thu 24 Mar, 2022 9:02 pm

The park is closed till April 13th to fix it up, so I guess it depends how far through that fixing they get https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks/grea ... dale-range
metastable
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby johk » Sat 26 Mar, 2022 10:30 pm

Thanks -
I saw that after I posted the questions..if we are lucky it might be open to easter.
The other option we have for easter is girraween circuit.

Thanks
J
johk
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Mon 28 Mar, 2022 7:47 pm

Given the rain, it will be swampy in places. There are a lot of sorta steep spots that might wash out. That said, it's overall not a super tough track (unless you try to push it hard and do it in only a couple days). So even the added difficulty shouldn't make it insane for a moderately experienced walker. I need to get out there and do the whole track myself, for all the time I've spent on parts of it, I've not done the full circuit.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Queensland