Alpine Car Camping/Hiking

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Alpine Car Camping/Hiking

Postby bessy_codgers » Mon 26 Mar, 2012 2:44 pm

We are looking to go car camping on Easter weekend and would love to try some bush walks. We are both pretty fit and healthy but haven't done much hiking and would prefer to do day hikes from a camp site to start off with, gain a bit of confidence. No need for toilets we've camped a bit before and are pretty relaxed about that side of things and would prefer to be in quiet areas with not many people anyway, we are pretty organised camping wise.

I have been looking around the Bogong High Plains area at the Mt Cope/Edmondson's hut walks and wonder if that could suit us or if it will be totally crowded around Easter? Is there restrictions in the area where you can camp? Or are we ok to pull up somewhere away from a camp site?

We don't have 4WD either which i hope isn't too restrictive?

Also any suggestions on equipment for day hikes, or are we ok with a good water supply, snacks and good shoes? Excited to try something and push ourselves physically just maybe careful with anything that's difficult in the orienteering side?

Apologies if I'm asking questions that have already been asked I have been looking through the forum but couldn't find much regarding camping off road.
bessy_codgers
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Alpine Car Camping/Hiking

Postby Maelgwn » Mon 26 Mar, 2012 3:47 pm

bessy_codgers wrote:I have been looking around the Bogong High Plains area at the Mt Cope/Edmondson's hut walks and wonder if that could suit us or if it will be totally crowded around Easter? Is there restrictions in the area where you can camp? Or are we ok to pull up somewhere away from a camp site?

We don't have 4WD either which i hope isn't too restrictive?

Also any suggestions on equipment for day hikes, or are we ok with a good water supply, snacks and good shoes? Excited to try something and push ourselves physically just maybe careful with anything that's difficult in the orienteering side?

I am not sure of where camping is allowed around the Bogong High Plains that is close to the road. There will be quite a few cars and people around, but most will not venture far of the beaten track. (i.e. Falls Creek and the sealed high plains road). It is a nice area to go to, and has some interesting history regarding huts ...

Be prepared for bad weather, I would recommend you carry thermals/warm clothes and at least a good waterproof jacket when walking. Even if the weather looks fine, it can and does change quickly in the alpine areas, independent of the forecast.

If you are keen for a big day out, Mt Bogong is highly recommended and good fun, although probably 1.5 hoursish drive from Mt Cope area.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Maelgwn » Mon 26 Mar, 2012 3:48 pm

O and Welcome to the Forum. There may be some intesting information on the backcountry forums at ski.com.au. One of the guys there runs trips for groups based at Falls Creek.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby peregrinator » Mon 26 Mar, 2012 3:50 pm

Are you planning to camp in a tent near a walking track or by sleeping in the car by the roadside?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bessy_codgers » Mon 26 Mar, 2012 4:10 pm

We have a good tent that we'd be using and would love to pitch somewhere close to walking tracks.... it's just very heavy (Canvas) so not something we'd want to carry very far so would camp by the car. Thanks for the advice about the wet weather gear and thermals will definitely take into account. We definitely don't mind going off sealed roads but we have a 2WD ute so wouldn't be going anywhere too crazy road wise. Once we go off sealed roads.... is there areas we are/aren't allowed to camp (any maps of this?). Once we set up camp it would be great to be walking distance of a few tracks but would be happy enough to drive to anything that is highly recommended after that so thanks for the mention.
bessy_codgers
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby peregrinator » Mon 26 Mar, 2012 4:25 pm

Parks Victoria's brochure on the Alpine NP (Bogong and Dargo high plains regions) states that "dispersed bush camping is permitted throughout the area, except within 200 metres of the BHP or Pretty Valley Roads".
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bessy_codgers » Mon 26 Mar, 2012 4:38 pm

Fantastic that's great thanks - if anyone has any recommendations of particular area. Especially near any of the tracks would be amazing. Looking at Mt Bogong.... definitely a challenge! :)
bessy_codgers
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 26 Mar, 2012 5:42 pm

Bogongs will be wall to wall people over Easter. It's become hell up there since they sealed the road.

Pretty Valley area may be a bit quieter. Always has been when I've been there over Easter.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby bessy_codgers » Mon 26 Mar, 2012 6:00 pm

yeah right.... wall to wall sounds pretty crappy. Pretty Valley huh, I don't know the area but is there some good hiking there?
bessy_codgers
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 26 Mar, 2012 6:30 pm

It's out past the Ruined Castle & McKay's. Good walk out to the Fainters either via the track or cross country over the Niggerheads, or you can join up with the AAWT at Cope Saddle or near Mt Jim via a two or three routes. Apart from Bogong itself, it's my favourite area up there.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby bessy_codgers » Tue 27 Mar, 2012 7:34 am

Just checked the weather report for Pretty Valley... and it's a bit chilly there! Do they get snow this time of year? Have to be a different level of prepared ;)
bessy_codgers
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Maelgwn » Tue 27 Mar, 2012 7:57 am

bessy_codgers wrote:Just checked the weather report for Pretty Valley... and it's a bit chilly there! Do they get snow this time of year? Have to be a different level of prepared ;)

Snow is possible in the alpine areas at any time of year, there was a light dusting last week from memory.

But there wont be any snow settled on the ground for any length of time. If the weather is fine and sunny, it is very pleasant and the temperature is fine. However rain/sleet/fog etc can are all a reasonable possibility.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bessy_codgers » Tue 27 Mar, 2012 8:37 am

I've just recently been suggested to take a look at the Mitchell River National Park area as well. Any thoughts?
bessy_codgers
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby MartyGwynne » Tue 27 Mar, 2012 9:41 am

Good choice for car camping, you could get some idea of car camping areas from the parks vic web site http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks ... ional-park
NIce place and will be reasonably busy over easter but I guess everywhere will be so it should be enjoyable as a lot of people will be doing the same thing (won't they?)
You could also travel further up the road to Dargo and do a few walks around there (also car camping etc), from cargo you could drive and normal 2wd to the turn off towards and old gold mining town of Grant (just the sign post is left after fires in 1947) a good area to explore.
You could also head west before Dargo and head out along the Mitchell river towards Eagle-vale for lots more exploring walking swimming (OK the water is always cold apart from the hottest of summer days) or just making camp and sitting by the camp fire watching the day go past....
Enjoy.
Marty
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby peregrinator » Tue 27 Mar, 2012 7:56 pm

bessy_codgers wrote:I've just recently been suggested to take a look at the Mitchell River National Park area as well. Any thoughts?

It's not likely to meet most of the criteria you've outlined in your first message. There are almost no places to camp other than the three main areas. And of those, Angusvale is possibly one of the most unattractive campgrounds I've seen. Rocky Creek camp, 20 minutes south of Angusvale is a very small area. As others have mentioned, there will no doubt be lots of people around at Easter, so I wouldn't like my chances there at that time of the year.

The walking track is worth doing: some other time perhaps. It follows the river, but is often 20-30 metres above it, cut into a steep hillside. I.e. no place for a tent. If the weather is appropriate, you'd do best to stick to your original plan and go alpine.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bessy_codgers » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 2:07 pm

Thanks - Not proving to be an easy decision! But will do my research on the Alpine especially Pretty Valley. Thanks for your help. Any other suggestions on area (anywhere really) are very welcome.

Cheers!
bessy_codgers
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby MartyGwynne » Fri 30 Mar, 2012 1:58 am

you could drive up past licola and car camp at the car park for Mt Howit or Piemans falls/Guys Hut/Bryces George areas.
There are a lot of good ay trips around there and you will be sharing the area with others over easter.
If you are adventurous enough you could find a secluded camp site off one of the easier side tracks around the area and feel confident enough to leave your camp set up undisturbed for the day's walking.
Just get out there and do it, most people are going there to enjoy the peace and quiet.
If you are at all concerned just make sure you have a few loud Jimmy Barnes tapes on hand to play at number 11 if someone comes near you and have the Australian flags flying and paint you car in camouflage colours.
I for one would not camp near you then......
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria