Mallacoota to Nadgee

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mallacoota to Nadgee

Postby davidmorr » Mon 05 Mar, 2012 9:41 pm

I'm thinking of doing this and would appreciate some advice.

Specifically, I am wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of different times of the year. From what I have read here, summer is a time of ticks and snakes, and maybe difficulty finding water. Is it also hot, or does the ocean make it more pleasant?

What about autumn, winter and spring? Is it cold or windy or rainy?

Thanks

David
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Mallacoota to Nadgee

Postby Bushman Ben » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 7:58 am

I did the opposite direction, (toward Thurra river) during summer this year. 4th - 6th of Jan. I didn't experience much in the way of Ticks or Snakes in that direction; although quite a large component of the hike is on the beach.

In terms of conditions, it was pretty difficult to find water, I only saw two spots while I was on-track, the majority of water would be in-land more which might make it harder to find. Mallacoota to Nadgee is going to be coastal hiking so you will find that there can be very quick changes in the weather, and it will be invariably cold and more than likely wet during winter. My suggestion is that Summer - Autumn would be best and just being prepared with the right equipment (pre-treat clothing with insecticides and what not), and have the strength to carry multiple days of water.

I found that even though it was 35+ each day and we were walking in the direct sun, the breeze off the ocean made the walk very pleasant, I wear long sleeves and a hat and basically even in high summer have very little skin out in the sun (irish heritage), I had absolutely no problems, I rarely felt uncomfortably hot, although I am pretty tolerant when it comes to heat. Its probably worth noting, that even though it was 35 or more each day; I still managed to get rained on twice on the third day before it blistering hot again and that was early Jan!
I am doing my best to create a blogsite dedicated to hiking in Aus, if you want to help let me know
http://hike-australia.com
Bushman Ben
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby legend » Tue 27 Mar, 2012 5:46 pm

At anytime of year you can get very intense 'south coast lows'. These bring huge amounts of rain onto the coasts of far eastern Vic and south NSW. Winter and Spring are often ideal. Cold fronts are quick to pass (often have dried significantly after dropping their rains on the rest of Victoria). Flowers are amazing in Spring on the heathlands and you can guarantee the odd whale or two not too far from the coast.
legend
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MartyGwynne » Fri 30 Mar, 2012 2:11 am

the place is lousy with ticks and snakes really big ones and wild dingo's water is hard to find and may need to be treated if you can stand the taste and will probably be salty....

Oh well if that does not put you off then nothing will.
I posted a trip report on the NSW trip reports from when I last went there in Winter 2011.
Water can be hard to find in dry summers, but summer is gone now so water should not be too hard (it has been raining again) Lake Nadgee has no fresh water. The nearest is Bunyip hollow or Nadgee river near Harry's Hut or if you are fortunate enough to put a tarp up if it rains when you are there you can collect the water off that as I have done in the past.
Get the book on that area which is a great reference for you as to where to find water. Lake Barracouta has the sweetest water in in my opinion, Lake Wau Wauka has some not too brackish water in it mostly, but it can be too salty; you will find fresh water pools around the camp site there though.
You can read up on trip reports by Amyl and Gang Gang who have written up some great trip reports of that area.
Don't tell anyone how good it is.
Marty
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gippsmick » Sat 31 Mar, 2012 11:32 am

Autumn is a great time to do this trip particulatly this year after consisent and good rains over summer. For the first time in a long time most of the minor creeks are flowing. Average temp for April 20 degrees.

Water shouldn't be a problem at the moment but you may need to follow some minor creeks inland a ways. Barracoota Lake is fresh but not far out of Mallacoota. Lake Wau Wauka is freshish and the feeder streams are fine. The Bunyip hole in NSW a reliable spring. Baiscally any named creeks should have water.

Winds are prodominatley from the West in autumn and walking north is a good option to avoid the head-on sand spray along the exposed beaches.

As Legend has pointed out, watch for the formation of east coast lows on the synoptic chart. We have the saying in the far east "Rain from the East, 3 days at least."

Ticks - yep you will probably encounter a few. Insect repellant will do the trick and long arms/legs help. Gives you a good excuse to get your kit off, go swimming and check for the little critters at the end of the day. Snakes - well they are part and parcel of any hike aren't they? Gaiters.

Dingo's are around but highly shy and not a problem. I've seen water snakes washed up on the beaches as well - fairly far south I would have thought.

Highly agree with Marty "Don't tell anyone how good it is". The wilderness coast is one of the best kept secrets.
Gippsmick
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby javaman » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 1:24 pm

I'm walking Mallacoota to Merrica Friday to Monday.
My walking buddy bailed so i have Fri/Sat/Sun permit for 1 to spare...
;)
javaman
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Victoria