Howmans Gap to Spion Kojpe

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Howmans Gap to Spion Kojpe

Postby wazzawalkin » Tue 07 Feb, 2012 5:26 pm

I am planning to walk a 3 day loop of the Bogong high plains starting at Howmans gap, crossing Rocky Valley creek and up onto Spion Kiopje.
Then walking accross the High Plains to Frying Pan spur and back down to Howmans Gap.

I have been advised the bushfire re-growth has taken over the track up the spur onto Spion Kojpe. If anyone walked that track this summer I would appreciate their observations.

Thanks, Wazza
wazzawalkin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Howmans Gap to Spion Kojpe

Postby kanangra » Thu 16 Feb, 2012 10:19 am

Mate I did that spur back in Nov. coming the other way and it was fine. Clear as you like. The creek isn't that easy to cross. There was a loose board when I went through. There is then a narrow foot track that goes up steeply for a way over many fallen logs before it breaks out onto the Fire Trail which although steep is clear all the way to the top.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wazzawalkin » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 9:23 am

Thanks Kanangra,
I had expected a steep climb :) and I am pleased to hear the track is still visible
Cheers,
Wazza
wazzawalkin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drew » Tue 21 Feb, 2012 9:38 am

I'm trying to plan a route for a 3 day hike in that area myself, so just wondering if you could give a few more details on this route? I can't seem to find Frying Pan Spur on my map. If you could give me a few more features/track names along your route and tell me where you camped it would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Drew
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby wazzawalkin » Tue 21 Feb, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi Drew,

I am not sure if your question was directed at me or Kanangra, also I have not walked it yet this a planned walk for early April.

My walk is based on the Howmans Gap, Cope Hut walk from Tyrone Thomas’s 70 walks in Victoria’s Bright and Falls Creek districts.
Assuming you have a map I will just list the high lights.

Starting at Howmans gap you head through the camp, across Rocky Creek, up the Spur, past Spion Kopje and finish the day at Johnston’s hut.
Day 2 follows the AAWT to Cope hut.

On day 3 follow the AAWT to Cope Saddle hut then head north towards Pretty Valley Hut. From here he mostly followed roads down to upper portal of the Mt McKay power station and out to the cars at Howmans Gap. However I believe he has an error in his distances for day 3 and it’s really 5km longer than he listed. So my thought was from Pretty Valley hut follow the roads and a bit of cross country to Frypan Spur and back to Howmans Gap.

Frying Pan Spur track runs generally south from near Howmans Gap and comes out on the north east side of the ski lift area. It should be marked on you map.

If you don’t want to do the big climb on day 1 you could do a loop starting near the Rocky Valley dam wall, up Heathy Spur and coming back via Pretty Valley huts. It’s up to you how you fill in the bit in between :)

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Wazza.
wazzawalkin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drew » Wed 22 Feb, 2012 1:42 pm

Hi Wazza, thanks for that description. My question was for either of you really, as I wasn't sure if you'd done the walk yet. I've only really been looking at the area north of Falls Creek, so that's why I couldn't find Frying Pan Spur.
I think we're keen to do a walk that includes Mt Bogong this time around, but that looks like a good route to keep in mind for future walks.
Cheers,
Drew
Drew

Postby hadders » Tue 01 May, 2012 10:53 am

Hey Guys,
Just wondering if you have walked this track recently and how accesible it is?
Coming next week with year 12's.
Cheers
hadders
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby wazzawalkin » Tue 01 May, 2012 5:19 pm

I had planned to do it in late March, but other commitments got in the way :(
Lets us know how you go.

Wazza.
wazzawalkin