Mt Cobbler area - King Spur to Mt Koonika

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Cobbler area - King Spur to Mt Koonika

Postby pete0762 » Sat 04 Feb, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi,
I am planning a walking trip in the Mt Cobbler area (noting the Speculation Rd to King Hut is currently closed) and was wondering if anyone has recently done the King Spur from King Hut to Mt Koonika and Mt Speculation? What is condition after the fires (i.e. regrowth).

Thanks
Peter
pete0762
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Mt Cobbler area - King Spur to Mt Koonika

Postby north-north-west » Fri 10 Feb, 2012 5:32 pm

Odd, The Staircase is usually open this time of year.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby bernieq » Sat 11 Feb, 2012 8:22 pm

Hi Peter,
We walked (26 Jan 2012) from Mt Spec Rd/King River, along the Mt Spec Rd (it’s not closed to vehicles – actually, it’s in 2WD condition if you take it slowly in the dry – 4WD in the wet, I should think), up King Spur to Mt Koonika and on to Mt Speculation. From there, we walked along the Crosscut to Mt Howitt, Hellfire Creek, Mt Magdala and down Helicopter Spur to the Howqua River/Bindaree Rd. Then off-track up to Mt Thorn (a really interesting spur) and back down Stanley Name Spur to the Circuit Rd - 4 day trip.

There is some regrowth up King Spur but nothing too daunting – certainly not as bad as on the AAWT between the Razor and the Viking. The track is easily followed to Mt Koonika.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Mon 13 Feb, 2012 7:07 pm

Thanks bernie. That one's on my to-do list for the first weekend after I get back.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby pete0762 » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks for the useful response so far. The DSE Public Access Map shows Speculation Road as closed between Circuit Road and King River. Not sure what is true - how to find that out?

And what is condition of ridge between Mt Koonika and Mt Speculation like? Much overgrowth?

I have done AAWT Razor - Viking last March and man that was overgrown and hard work, but did not loose the track.

cheers
Peter
pete0762
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby dcole13 » Mon 20 Feb, 2012 6:34 am

Can't help you re the climb up from King Hut, but in March-2011, we walked from Mt Speculation, down the Koonika Spur, Mt Koonika, and then down onto the Speculation Rd heading to Mt Cobbler. Most of the way down Koonika spur, there isn't any marked track, but it is easily walkable, lightly treed, and light undergrowth. It's a beautiful area. Cheers David
dcole13
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby bernieq » Mon 05 Mar, 2012 9:25 pm

pete0762 wrote:And what is condition of ridge between Mt Koonika and Mt Speculation like? Much overgrowth?
No regrowth - it's quite open and easy walking. We followed the ridgeline track to the saddle below spot height 1553m then contoured around (off-track, some fallen timber) and down to intersect the road and walked the last 300m to Camp Creek to pick up water.

pete0762 wrote:The DSE Public Access Map shows Speculation Road as closed between Circuit Road and King River. Not sure what is true - how to find that out?
You can confirm it's status by calling Parks 131 963 and asking to talk to a ranger who works in the area (you'll get a local office number to call).

On 26 Jan 2012, having previously confirmed by phone that the road was open, we did actually drive from Circuit Rd down to and across the King River bridge on the Mt Spec Rd. Still, conditions do change - call the ranger.

pete0762 wrote:I have done AAWT Razor - Viking last March and man that was overgrown and hard work, but did not loose the track.
I walked this in Jan 2011 and again in Nov 2011. Yes, it was overgrown the first time - but it was far worse the 2nd time - and would be even tougher now, especially if wet.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq

Postby neil_fahey » Mon 09 Apr, 2012 6:57 pm

I tried to get to King Hut on Wednesday (4/4) and found that Speculation Road was closed. I had spoken to Parks Vic on Tuesday and was told that it would be open. Major roadworks going on by the looks of it.
neil_fahey
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: BushwalkingBlog.com.au

Postby Explorer_Sam » Sat 14 Apr, 2012 4:50 pm

As an avid walker from Victoria, it's sad that I haven't yet explored the Alpine NP but I can't wait for the day I do!
My Blog- Adventure and Nature Writing- www.sambochristie.wordpress.com
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria