Champion Spur conditions

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Champion Spur conditions

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 24 Oct, 2023 9:55 am

Has anybody been along the East Kiewa Ovens track and up Champion Spur recently?
I was thinking of maybe walking up the Bon Accord then back towards Feathertop (or camp top of Diamantina Spur) as a possible traumatic experience, then it occurred to me that Champion Spur could be even worse.
From what little info I have, there's a lot of River crossings on the East Kiewa Ovens, with some guides suggesting take the Bon Accord track and bush-bash to the start of Champion Spur track instead.
I understand there was/is a track (I can see one on Google Earth up until 1400m or so) up the spine of Champion Spur, and I've read PCVs report of coming down on a hellish hot day a few years back.
I reckon getting the hard stuff done on day 1, uphill to Razorback, then an easier day down Bungalow Spur track is a better idea, than the reverse. That way I can just stumble down the nice track and not have to worry about navigation...
The pros for Champion over Bon Accor are shorter distance and the cons are straight up the spur (1100+m gain), no water once you start climbing (Bon Accord has tank at ruins) and bush-bashing, so need to take enough to make it to Fed. Hut or NW Spur. So, plenty of type 2 fun.

[EDIT] East Ovens not East Kiewa...sigh.
Last edited by Baeng72 on Fri 27 Oct, 2023 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Champion Spur conditions

Postby Camminata » Tue 24 Oct, 2023 7:35 pm

I counted 13 river crossings..........!?
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://hikingtales55.blogspot.com

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 25 Oct, 2023 6:33 am

Camminata wrote:I counted 13 river crossings..........!?

I'd start with a crap pair of socks, then after finishing the crossings and starting on the spur, switch to the usual sock setup.
I do similar when I start from Upper Howqua campground and have to cross half a dozen times.
I think the only question I'd have about that is how deep/fast is the East Ovens?
Not much rain at the moment, and snow has melted, so probably manageable?
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Camminata » Wed 25 Oct, 2023 3:36 pm

Baeng72 wrote:
Camminata wrote:I counted 13 river crossings..........!?

I'd start with a crap pair of socks, then after finishing the crossings and starting on the spur, switch to the usual sock setup.
I do similar when I start from Upper Howqua campground and have to cross half a dozen times.
I think the only question I'd have about that is how deep/fast is the East Ovens?
Not much rain at the moment, and snow has melted, so probably manageable?

I couldn't tell you as I have not walked it yet, but I can imagine in some parts knee deep....... was looking at map hence the count
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://hikingtales55.blogspot.com

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 27 Oct, 2023 8:14 am

OK, so it's come to my attention that I'm a geographically deluded individual.
Not a surprise to those who've interacted with me, I'm sure. :D
I meant the East Ovens river and track, not East Kiewa.
The track starts in Harrietville, opposite side of river from Bon Accord Spur, and all that....
east ovens.png
East Ovens Track
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 29 Oct, 2023 7:36 pm

I trekked that route soon after the dept. of name changes cleared the track 3/4 of the way up Champion Spur with a bulldozer.
https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/bunga ... st-4117797
I would guess by now the " track " would be severely overgrown again and the world of type 5 fun awaits the nutter who goes near it.
I must say if you are going to have a go at Champion spur then go down it. Scrub bashing up a very steep hill is type 7 fun.
Stay on the ridge top and do not go off the spine of the spur.
The river crossings, I counted 10???? at the bottom were fine............ at the end of the ordeal.. I mean bushwalk.
It was a only a short walk back to the car to change into different foot wear at
the end of the hike by going down Champion spur.

BTAC including yours truly just helped PV clear the entire Cairn Creek hut track on Mt. Bogong.

You must do that hike and camp at the hut. Magnificent !. Plus the hike back up to the Quartz ridge track junction is very steep.
Do it now while the track is freshly recut & manicured most of the way .
There are many ways to get to near the Quartz ridge trailhead and the Quartz Ridge on Mt. Bogong is possibly
the most scenic route up the Big Fella IMHO.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Return to Victoria