Bogong conditions

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bogong conditions

Postby butter-nuts » Fri 15 Sep, 2023 9:12 am

Hi guys,

After missing most of the winter I am looking to spend a few days hiking up and around Bogong next weekend. I do not really have a feel for the amount of snow up there at the moment and was hoping I could get some advice from those with recent experience. Looking at the Bogong Rover chalet webcams I can see there is still a bit of cover.

My main question is do you think I need to pack snowshoes? Or do you think boots and a pair of microspikes will suffice?

Thanks for your help!
butter-nuts
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Bogong conditions

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 15 Sep, 2023 10:09 am

The Falls Creek snow cams give a good idea of what it's like, albeit 3-400 metres lower.
https://www.fallscreek.com.au/snow-cams/
As the cover is a fairly thin, snow shoes are probably not needed. Expect less snow on the northern slopes and tops (melts out due to the sun) and more snow on the south (away from the sun) and east (drift on those slopes). It will probably be icy in the mornings, especially on shaded areas. An ice axe is probably not needed but may be useful. In the mornings you may need instep crampons. Camp in a sheltered spot. I do not know if the track to the start of the Eskdale track is open. This is the easiest way up - a few hours to the hut, a few more steeply to the ridge, and 90 minutes to Cleve Cole.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby butter-nuts » Fri 15 Sep, 2023 10:23 am

Thanks so much mate, this is great info and exactly what I was looking for.
butter-nuts
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 15 Sep, 2023 10:29 am

A belated thought. Persisher is about 1700 metres and has views of Koscoiszko.
https://www.perisher.com.au/reports-cam ... XSnowstake
https://www.perisher.com.au/reports-cams/cams#Xkosci
I'd monitor Falls Creek, Perisher and the weather reports for the next week. It may help to take screen shots of the cover so you can see what is happening. A bit of rain can wash the snow away, or there may be a good snowfall.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Sat 16 Sep, 2023 7:11 am

If you mean the High Plains there is still some snow on Nelse but the rest is walkable without snowshoes. Not much freeze happening overnight but that changes. Next freeze will be Thurs and Frid this week. Still not enough to warrant any technical gear if you are staying on the tracks. Mt. Bogong still has some skiable snow above the tree line and on sheltered faces. For the small amount you would benefit from snowshoes I would not bother as you will then have to carry them.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby TML MHz » Sun 17 Sep, 2023 8:02 pm

From Mt Hotham, the south side of Bogong looks to have fairly extensive snow cover still. But I would expect that like everywhere else up here, ridges and sun exposed north and west slopes will have snow patches only.

The Razorback looks pretty clear - I am going to see what the walk to Feathertop is like tomorrow.
TML MHz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby butter-nuts » Tue 26 Sep, 2023 9:47 am

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Thought I would give a quick follow-up for those interested. Had a great walk. Headed up Eskdale spur, and hiked up and over, past Cleve Cole Hut to camp around Maddisons Hut. Spent the next day walking around enjoying the area (went to Howman falls and Bogong summit), camped at Michell hut and headed home the next day. Snow cover was patchy at best where we went, although I did bump into quite a few members of the Bogong ski club getting in what I imagine to be one of the last opportunities to ski for the season. Photo of what snow was left on Bogong.
Attachments
PXL_20230924_044650565.jpg
butter-nuts
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 05 Oct, 2023 8:51 am

It looks like there might be a brief window with a bit more snow. Falls Creek and Hotham snow cams are showing a fresh dusting.
Very tempting. I wonder if I can fail to summit a 4th time this year?
It would be hard, but I believe I could fail again. :D
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Thu 05 Oct, 2023 2:59 pm

Baeng72 wrote:It looks like there might be a brief window with a bit more snow. Falls Creek and Hotham snow cams are showing a fresh dusting.

Whatever fell on BHP yesterday is gone now. Might still be a bit on Bogong but not worth a trip just to muck around in slosh. Feels cold enough though and there is some small chance of a bit more fresh snow tonight and tomorrow but really not enough to get excited about.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 06 Oct, 2023 8:30 am

Xplora wrote:
Baeng72 wrote:It looks like there might be a brief window with a bit more snow. Falls Creek and Hotham snow cams are showing a fresh dusting.

Whatever fell on BHP yesterday is gone now. Might still be a bit on Bogong but not worth a trip just to muck around in slosh. Feels cold enough though and there is some small chance of a bit more fresh snow tonight and tomorrow but really not enough to get excited about.

I checked the Hotham Snow Cam and it's gone. Winter wonderland one moment, gone the next. Slosh doesn't sound too fun, I think a nice sunny late spring/summer weekend might be the trick for Bogong.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Fri 06 Oct, 2023 4:41 pm

Baeng72 wrote: I think a nice sunny late spring/summer weekend might be the trick for Bogong.

Absolutely. Best time of the year although I have started up in shorts and T shirt on cup weekend and at the top put every bit of clothing in my pack on while being pelted with snow. I didn't have the same access to weather forecasts back then. Next day did T spur up and back because the river was raging. Next day over Bogong to Quartz in a white out just on compass. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole solo experience. I failed the walk I intended though but visited , Howman falls, Cairn Creek hut and did other things I did not anticipate. At first I only did summer walks on Bogong but it seemed every time I went there it snowed. Figured I might as well do it properly and now winter on Bogong is one of my favourites followed by summer on Bogong.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Victoria