3-day Snow Shoe Recommendations

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: 3-day Snow Shoe Recommendations

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 01 Sep, 2023 9:00 am

Thanks for the help!
Yep only 2WD. I think Mulhauser is not a goer.
Nelse as an overnighter isn't really an option as you have to pay 2 days entry to Falls Creek, which is steep.
I mentioned Mt. Bogong to the kid and if I paraphrase his response politely it would be 'not at this time, and go away!'
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Xplora » Fri 01 Sep, 2023 1:35 pm

Baeng72 wrote:Thanks for the help!
Yep only 2WD. I think Mulhauser is not a goer.
Nelse as an overnighter isn't really an option as you have to pay 2 days entry to Falls Creek, which is steep.
I mentioned Mt. Bogong to the kid and if I paraphrase his response politely it would be 'not at this time, and go away!'

You might want to check if the road to Camp Creek Gap (Eskdale Spur) is currently 2wd. Vaguely remember some issue. More about it being wet than snowy. Otherwise it is the Staircase, but another option to do Nelse would be to come in from Shannonvale and up Kellys track. 11.5km to Fitzgeralds Hut but all good road. We do that in about 4.5 hours with a full pack. Maybe 5 when less fit but we are not overly fit now. You are right on the back end of Nelse there. In winter head to Johnsons hut over snow with some basic navigation and you are at the foot of Nelse. It is just over 2 hours from Wodonga to the start of Kellys Track but maybe I drive faster than you. Logistically it may not be the best option for you though. About 5.5 hrs from Melbourne.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 01 Sep, 2023 3:19 pm

Sounds nice, but getting to be a longish drive for an overnighter.
Thanks again!
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Fri 01 Sep, 2023 8:17 pm

Baeng72 wrote:Sounds nice, but getting to be a longish drive for an overnighter.
Thanks again!

I thought that the case. Not many options and I am sure you have worked out what you need to do.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 01 Sep, 2023 8:54 pm

Xplora wrote:
Baeng72 wrote:Sounds nice, but getting to be a longish drive for an overnighter.
Thanks again!

I thought that the case. Not many options and I am sure you have worked out what you need to do.

Thanks again. Appreciate the help.

For various reasons, it turns out I won't be (dis)gracing the tops of the high-country this weekend.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 02 Sep, 2023 10:20 pm

I have just returned from Alpine NSW. Access to the Main Range from The Illawong Suspension bridge is good. There is quite a bit of icy snow up there.The views up there are great in good weather.It is not suitable for a quick overnight jaunt. You would have to allow a
minimum of 2-3 days in the Kosci. N.P. to justify the long drive IMHO . I just drove back today.
The second leg from Wodonga to Melb. is always a grind. The ski resorts at Guthega and Blue Cow
have indicated that they will close tomorrow. Smiggin Holes is already shut. Perisher is closing down
ski runs and some surface tows are not running now. There is zero XC skiing available at Perisher which means NO SNOW from the sky.
The Kiandra area was brown not white.
If finding snow is the mission then I saw some snow on Mt. Bogong from afar at the the Mitta Mitta river arm on Lake Hume today.
Maybe during the daylight savings period scout out some NSW snow options by bushwalking them in the green season.
The Guthega to Charlotte Pass walk via the Illawong hut looks good from what I have done of it this week.NPWS have laid metal walk ways, paving stones and signage a plenty along the route.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Mon 04 Sep, 2023 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 03 Sep, 2023 8:23 am

Nice one PCV. DM me a link to your report or post somewhere public?
I was planning on heading up Hannel's mid-September, but jogging a bit with the dog on Friday arvo on rough ground made my knee feel like someone shot it.
So whatever I did up on Bogong when I broke through the ice and hit a log with the knee a month ago, is still about.
Part of reason I didn't take advantage of this great weather for a walk...
I'll see physio again, but I suspect with the limited walking I'm doing to rest the knee, I won't be going far in September.
I had plenty of plans for the winter, but *&%$#! happens and I haven't done much at all.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 03 Sep, 2023 4:59 pm

This ski season/ Snow season has been mostly rubbish. I have only spent 20 days on skis. Last year I did 31 ski days because the season was long and there was snow to ski on into September.
Riding a bike a is a good alternative to walking if your knees are playing up. Get a bike rack for your car and a guide book to the Vic. rail trails.
Alpine NSW has a lot to offer . Not just snow actvities. There is a lot of bushwalking , fishing, car camping & car touring , cycling etc. to be done and the Creature comfort lodgings ( suitable for Mrs. Baeng and offspring ) at Yarrangobilly Caves, have the remarkable caves ,a thermally heated swimming pool and easy short walks all at the front door.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Sun 03 Sep, 2023 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Camminata » Sun 03 Sep, 2023 6:17 pm

Headed up Nelse Area icy as expected and beautiful.
Attachments
5B28BD58-6988-4F53-8BFE-3751DCDD636A.jpeg
6BD007E7-117D-4488-9A50-BDCFDB4594E2.jpeg
652DF3F4-2A5C-4FEC-BF2C-66BAE82B9DA4.jpeg
IMG_1479.jpeg
IMG_1562.jpeg
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://hikingtales55.blogspot.com

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 05 Sep, 2023 5:54 am

Nice photos!
Beautiful clear sky.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Camminata » Wed 06 Sep, 2023 5:52 pm

Baeng72 wrote:Nice photos!
Beautiful clear sky.

Thanks was very enjoyable managed a suntan also , the summit cairn on Mt Nelse is occupied by someones left behind beanie or .., I only walked up to cairn and saw a beanie which looked full `wasn't game enough to walk around as it freaked me out...very eerie . I watch `too many movies maybe..............
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 06 Sep, 2023 7:41 pm

Camminata wrote:
Beautiful clear sky.

Thanks was very enjoyable managed a suntan also , the summit cairn on Mt Nelse is occupied by someones left behind beanie or .., I only walked up to cairn and saw a beanie which looked full `wasn't game enough to walk around as it freaked me out...very eerie . I watch `too many movies maybe..............

There's a reason....
shark.jpg
#AlpineShark #TheyAreOutThere

shark2.png
#StaircaseShark
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Camminata » Wed 06 Sep, 2023 9:02 pm

Baeng72 wrote:
Camminata wrote:
Beautiful clear sky.

There's a reason....
shark.jpg

shark2.png

:shock: :shock: :shock:
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 10 Sep, 2023 8:01 am

The mountain has spoken. It doesn't want me to summit this snow-season. :)

Braving Alpine Sharks I trundled up the Staircase, sore knee and all, and still wanting to get up top with some snow and do some camping.

With what I thought was a reasonable weather forecast: A few mm in early morning and some wind, getting lighter as the day progressed.
It was a bit different. Got regular showers/hail/snow as I got higher. no wind to speak of in the trees.
Once I got to the exposed bit, there was wind.

I didn't have the gear for the final exposed bit, a light plastic rain coat, shorts, and my hiking gloves were saturated and freezing in the wind.
I couldn't see far, and was still 200m-ish from the summit, so I guessed it was not going to get better. I certainly wasn't in danger of overheating at anytime during the day.

Anyway, I turned back, a few minutes later, out of the wind, the sky went blue and warm sun shone. I nearly turned around to try again, but I could see dark clouds rolling in again. Maybe the mountain was setting a trap for me? :lol:

Oh Well, started heading down about 4pm. It snowed/hailed/rained pretty much all the way down. And I got back to the car at 7:30pm (started 9:30am) and drove home.

To be honest, I had a fun day. I protected the sore knee for the most part by stepping up with the other leg and taking care. It was fun walking in the snow, hail and whatever. Just didn't have the gear for the last bit. I needed last weekend's weather, and I could've camped somewhere up high. I think I earned my junk food reward on the way home by lugging a pack up 1200m then turning around and lugging it back down.

I reckon that'll do my attempts at snow camping for this year (until I misread a weather report and bound waddle out the door for a 4 hours drive, 8 hour slog up a hill....)
Final Score: Mt. Bogong 3 - Me 0.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Sun 10 Sep, 2023 2:30 pm

Hey there Baeng. Glad you had a fun safe day! I'm very perplexed though - what were you doing on Bogong with a light plastic raincoat, without the alpine day walk gear we'd normally take up there any time of year, most especially in early spring...?
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 10 Sep, 2023 4:35 pm

IMHO nobody should go up Mt. Bogong without the full list of outdoor attire . It is just silly to expect to be okay with flimsy attire which is ineffectual at best for poor weather esp. with snow and wind in the forecast.
We had a good snow fall on Friday and Saturday across the Australian alps and Mt. Stirling on Sat. and Sunday 9 & 10/9/23 woud have been a sensible non skiing snow trip for camping and walking with snow shoes. Even Mt. No. 3 refuge hut would have been feasible for a low cost safer snow fix.
I Nordic skied at Lake Mtn. ,free of charge yesterday . It was very good indeed.Good fresh groomed trail XC snow skiing. :-)
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Sun 10 Sep, 2023 5:40 pm

Sorry Baeng, I didn't mean to start something here. I was just very surprised. Looking for Bogong 3, You 1. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 10 Sep, 2023 8:37 pm

Tortoise wrote:Hey there Baeng. Glad you had a fun safe day! I'm very perplexed though - what were you doing on Bogong with a light plastic raincoat, without the alpine day walk gear we'd normally take up there any time of year, most especially in early spring...?

No worries!
My comment was a bit self-deprecating and/or self-mocking for my attempt.
I've gone up Eskdale a few times this winter in bluebird days with clear skies and been sweating in shorts and t-shirt.
I was hoping it was going to stop precipitation before I got to the tree line, and that the wind would become light. The forecast indicated that would be the case, so take a chance.
A wind breaker would have been all that was required whilst moving if that had eventuated.
It didn't, and I didn't push my luck.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 10 Sep, 2023 8:45 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:IMHO nobody should go up Mt. Bogong without the full list of outdoor attire . It is just silly to expect to be okay with flimsy attire which is ineffectual at best for poor weather esp. with snow and wind in the forecast.
We had a good snow fall on Friday and Saturday across the Australian alps and Mt. Stirling on Sat. and Sunday 9 & 10/9/23 woud have been a sensible non skiing snow trip for camping and walking with snow shoes. Even Mt. No. 3 refuge hut would have been feasible for a low cost safer snow fix.
I Nordic skied at Lake Mtn. ,free of charge yesterday . It was very good indeed.Good fresh groomed trail XC snow skiing. :-)

Sounds like you had a nice weekend!
I must have read a different forecast.
I get that you think I'm a naif, but if I'd thought after checking Falls Creek, Mt. Hotham and Meteye forecasts through the week, it was going to be like that I'd have gone somewhere else, or had a few beers and listened to the footy.
I can't motivate myself to do things that don't interest me, and I took a chance that it would be .
Walking to Mt No 3 didn't interest me like walking up Bogong did. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just hasn't motivated me.
It doesn't make sense, but if you're gonna torture yourself, may as well do it somewhere that you want to be?
Anyway, this has become way overblown for a bit of joke comment about a bit of fun on a Saturday that ended well I think.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 10 Sep, 2023 9:05 pm

Tortoise wrote:Sorry Baeng, I didn't mean to start something here. I was just very surprised. Looking for Bogong 3, You 1. :)

That's fine. I get that I look like a weirdo. :D
A little explanation of my weird behaviour: I was planning on walking up (and back down) Hannel's Spur in NSW end of the coming week.
I had been building up to it with walks up steep climbs like Mt. Juliet, Mount Donna Buang, and a bit of the way up Mt. Buller, and a few times on Mt Bogong.
Even taken a few days leave for it.
But the knee thing put a spanner in the works.
Anyway, I thought if I can get up and down Mt. Bogong via the Staircase (not an 'easy' walk like Eskdale Spur) with a full pack, and not be totally wrecked after, then I could do the walk up to Mt. Kosciusko.
I managed that I guess.
I won't go walking in Alpine areas unless the forecast appears 'friendly', so I don't need to port all that heavy gear.
The weather looks like it's going to be very windy in the Alpine areas (70+ plus KM/h at Thredbo) in the time I have off work, so not gonna happen in the end.
I will leave Mt. Bogong alone for a while I think.

Well, I've done it again! Totally derailed another thread on this forum. Apologies!

A couple of photos from the moment when the sun briefly came out.
RRFG8126.jpg
Start of pole line.

FQAS5107.jpg
Looking back.
FQAS5107.jpg (72.88 KiB) Viewed 9853 times
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Camminata » Sun 10 Sep, 2023 10:05 pm

Weather can be unpredictable and adequate clothing and gear for all conditions must be carried, be prepared for winter conditions in all seasons for Alpine areas.. :cry: :D :mrgreen:
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Mon 11 Sep, 2023 7:55 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:IMHO nobody should go up Mt. Bogong without the full list of outdoor attire . It is just silly to expect to be okay with flimsy attire which is ineffectual at best for poor weather esp. with snow and wind in the forecast.

And here comes the gate keeper. I think the thing to take away from our friend's experience is the good judgement to turn around when conditions did not suit his gear.

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I Nordic skied at Lake Mtn. ,free of charge yesterday . It was very good indeed.Good fresh groomed trail XC snow skiing. :-)

Good for you but maybe you should have used the good snowfall to have a crack at skiing Bogong.

Up and down the Staircase in a day with a full pack plus a drive to and from Melbourne. You are better than me Baeng and you haven't derailed the thread. Add this to the learning curve. I think you are right about the weather for the next weekend. NW winds are a bit strong from Friday but temps are good. I'll take rain or snow over wind any day.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 11 Sep, 2023 9:47 am

Xplora wrote: I'll take rain or snow over wind any day.

Ditto. Cold wind especially is a monumental pain, particularly with a full pack.

Xplora wrote:Good for you but maybe you should have used the good snowfall to have a crack at skiing Bogong.

Via Mulhuauser Spur, of course.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 11 Sep, 2023 8:24 pm

I only had a half day to ski hence Lake Mtn... Work was encroaching into my skiing schedule. I will ski at Mt. Bogong Next year having had more Telemark ski lessons in Japan in January.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 11 Sep, 2023 10:22 pm

As noted philosopher Ms T. Swift once opined: 'haters gonna hate, hate, hate!
No! That is a joke (I have a poor sense of humour, so apologies if that put any nose out of joint).
Thanks for the advice, thoughts. I think Xplora got where I stand. I chose to turn back before I got in the poo, because I knew it was daft to continue.
PCV commented pithily, when we were sitting around the fire at Mountain Creek in July, that I'm good at turning back.
Whilst that does sting a bit, it's also not a terrible thing.
Others would have different gear and maybe summited like the two young blokes I spoke to just past the treeline, returning from the summit, so you're not wrong about bringing the kitchen sink.

In the end it's all about what you take out of it.
summit means nothing if a helicopter drops you there (I think, but, never have been in a helicopter), and a near miss means bugger all, but at least it was fun...
And to confirm all your preconceptions: https://youtu.be/AzoCL4y03HY
Thanks.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 11 Sep, 2023 10:38 pm

Keep hiking BAENG72 but be prepared in attire for all weather at any moment in an alpine area. It it not optional.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 12 Sep, 2023 6:30 am

My last comment seems a bit pissy. I just can't nail the easy-going humorous comment.
Anyway, my earlier attempt at humour seems to have become a bit of Rorschach test on what gear is required for a safe hike.
Thanks for the advice, thoughts.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Tue 12 Sep, 2023 7:56 am

Perhaps I am just a bit too reckless because I often head to Bogong without dragging heaps of crap that will not come out of the pack. Maybe it is just a calculated risk or maybe I read the weather and have the envious position of being able to go when the weather suits but I am always prepared to bail if things are not right. A different story if you have days invested but for an overnight walk I am pretty confident of picking gear to suit the weather forecast. One thing is certain, I have shelter and the required warmth to survive a night.

Being good at turning back or being good at knowing when to turn back? Although we cannot compare to Everest directly, Everest is strewn with the bodies of people who push beyond their limits just to summit and I don't see conquering Bogong worth that. Maybe a little dramatic but I have dealt with a hypothermic person on Bogong in summer after a snowfall. We all have what others see as failures (even those who mock) but it is good to reflect on the positive. Take what you need from this experience and do it better next time. Skiers tell me that if you are not falling you are not trying hard enough. I must be trying really hard. I like to think of it more like getting back up and doing it again means you are trying hard even if you know you are going to fall again.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 12 Sep, 2023 9:11 am

Xplora wrote: One thing is certain, I have shelter and the required warmth to survive a night.
I don't want to say much more, and I agree with your comment, but my gear issues were with sleeping gear.
My sleep kit was the same as I used in a windy exposed -4C on Mt. Spec last year and was nice and warm then. I just wasn't up for sleeping on a slope on the Staircase, but I could have if I'd needed.
I guess not having a 4-season tent would have been a challenge in a windy summit camp, but no problem out of the wind and I'd have probably headed to Cleve Cole/Michell hut if I'd summited.
Anyway, I'll finish with thanks again. I'll take note of the advice and be better prepared/stay home next time there's similar conditions.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to Victoria