Beeripmo Vs Keppel Hut from Lake Mountain after rain

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Beeripmo Vs Keppel Hut from Lake Mountain after rain

Postby nezumi » Sun 09 Apr, 2023 5:32 pm

I am looking at taking Master 7 for his first overnight hike next weekend. Our departure will be dependent upon the weather looking reasonable, but given the amount of rain that has fallen recently, does anyone have a recommendation either way on whether Beeripmo or Keppel Hut from Lake Mountain would be a better option?

I'm also open to any other suggestions for an introductory overnight hike within 3 hours drive of Melbourne's North, with around 10 - 13km/day.
nezumi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Beeripmo Vs Keppel Hut from Lake Mountain after rain

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 09 Apr, 2023 10:33 pm

I can suggest 8 mile flat to Ritchie's hut as an easy overnight hike .It would be about 7 kms one way maximum using the scenic upper track which avoids the multiple river crossings of the Howqua River.
The hut there is very nice and there is a pit loo and there is plenty of water in the Howqua river.
The drive is possibly over 3 hours from Northern Melb. but since you probably have been to Mt. Buller and/ or Sheepyard flat before then you'd
know the area and the travelling times.

The Talbot Hut ruins in the Baw Baw N.P. is a short but pleasant walk to a pleasant camp site with reliable water but the ascent to the Baw Baw Plateaux could put your son off future hiking activities.
Mushroom rocks is shorter and easier and is on the same route.

Mt. Torbreck comes to mind as well. You could camp at Barnewall plains where the picnic table is ( hike in from Conn's Gap road ) and trek up to the top with day packs.
BYO water.
The walk up to Refuge Hut No. 3 from Tomahawk gap is a bit of a slog up Road No. 3 but the hut is good and has a water tank and a pit loo.
That is in the Mount Stirling area.
The Bluff Spur Hut at Mt. Stirling is a good short hike in camp site with some good scenery at Mt. Stirling.
You can return via King Spur hut and The Cricket Pitch.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Mon 10 Apr, 2023 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Biggles » Mon 10 Apr, 2023 1:05 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:That is in the Mount Stirling area.
The Bluff Spur Hut at Mt. Stirling is a good short hike in camp site with some good scenery at Mt. Stirling.

A really great place to be! :D
I returned this morning from a 3 night camp at Bluff Spur Hut at Mount Spurling. Remarkably stable weather Friday and Saturday...then...around 10+cm of snow and minus 3 yesterday morning — really bleak! It is not unusual to have these cold outbreaks around the State and one needs to be prepared for them. The snow had faded away by 1pm when we set out for the walk to Stirling summit and The Tree — an iconic Snowgum believed to be around 300 years old, looming large in the rents of scattering fog. More snow up there than down below, with changing visibility — thick fog and drizzle (GPS on for descent). Bluff Spur Hut is an easy 4.6km walk from TBJ with truly outstanding alpine scenery (snowgums). I strongly suggest packing and using a GPS for navigating to Stirling summit in marginal conditions (e.g. fog, drizzle; none of the signposts were visible until we were practically walking into them!) if you do camp there, with the cheery comforts of Bluff Spur Hut awaiting; the route would appear to be straightforward, but care is required at several turn-offs.

TBJ café is now closed for the summer season, and I think access to Stirling's trails will be restricted from this point so they can prepare the trails for the ski season. I have emailed Mount Buller about this after seeing a sign at TBJ suggesting closure after Easter.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 10 Apr, 2023 3:00 pm

The snow pole line over the Mt. Stirling summit is easy enough to locate in fair weather.In full blizzard/ white out condtions in ski season it can be interesting moving about up there.At least the surface was not rock solid frozen hard ice. That is not the best surface to XC ski or even snow shoe on.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Biggles » Mon 10 Apr, 2023 4:08 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:The snow pole line over the Mt. Stirling summit is easy enough to locate in fair weather.In full blizzard/ white out condtions in ski season it can be interesting moving about up there.At least the surface was not rock solid frozen hard ice. That is not the best surface to XC ski or even snow shoe on.

I recall seeing two poles, but very little else! Our original intention was to visit Stanleys Bowl and the granite tors. The low visibility precluded this sidetrip.

We used the AllTrails Mount Stirling loop, but cutting off at Bluff Spur Hut. One of our members just wanted to get out after a many-months lay-up after surgery, so we planned to keep the walk cheerfully short and simple, hence the likely appeal to the OP of this thread, as an introduction to the alpine environment for Jun'or at least.. Re snowpoles, I had the idea that snow poles should be 'breadcrumbed' on the GPS, or manually marked, to assist others; this feature was not on the AllTrails GPX. For the benefit of nezumi, this older, clear and fog-free photo shows the Iconic Tree on the summit — a splendid view that we did not get to repeat on this camp! :cry:
Attachments
Mount Stirling summit e. pauciflora_2019.JPG
E. pauciflora (c. 300), Mount Stirling Summit, MSAR, VIC.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria