Mount Clear

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mount Clear

Postby Hiking Exped » Wed 12 Jan, 2022 3:10 pm

Anyone walked up the Mount Clear track recently from Clear Creek? Has been a few years since I have, came down it last time, a bit overgrown, but ok. Thinking of using it again for a route, but more Intel would be good :D
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Mount Clear

Postby Biggles » Thu 13 Jan, 2022 10:07 am

Mount Clear....hmmm, oh yeah!!
Did that walk on the first weekend of June in 2010, in cold, rain then snow. Long and boring with nothing of particular interest, not even the views.
Crossing the North Jamieson River (there was no bridge at the time, and crossing the cold, turbulent waters was fraught) was a nasty introduction, having to get everything wet and continue on and eventually change, only to get drenched again in heavy rain, then snow and poor visibility. The night was spent on the prominent clearing of Mount Clear, with a spring deep in snow drifts 1km away. Overnight temp dropped to —7°c. Next day I returned to the car, 10km down, alone. Two walking companions continued on a lengthy circuit around Mount Clear while I progressively froze in the waning light in tiny car park across North Jamieson River. Nothing special about the walk, other than my two companions getting themselves lost in the snow, tumbling onto a remote track and purely by chance being picked up by a 4WD, bringing them back across the river!

Clear Creek Track would undoubtedly be very overgrown by now; I was pushing frozen branches out of the way back then. I also had to contend with ice on the descent of the track, and bum-skidded three times — it just was not possible in those conditions to walk, so I skied down! Probably a much better walk in summer, though hot and with snakes added to the mix. Also a bridge there over the river which takes a great many 4WDs now. Have to carry water the 10km from Brocks Road. Luck alone will determine if there is water in that spring some distance from camp.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby surly 17 » Thu 13 Jan, 2022 11:03 am

I walked it 3 years ago it was pretty clear and obvious, I don’t remember it being overgrown, I’m guessing it’s not had much traffic in the last couple of years!
surly 17
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 13 Jan, 2022 7:31 pm

The Clear Creek track was comprehensively cleared and graded by DEWLP by heavy machinery brought in from Mansfield on huge semi articulated flat bed lorries in Late 2019.. Getting the AWD SUV up to the junction with the Nobbs track was easy. It was like a super highway. I went back a year later and the Clear Creek track from Brock's road to the junction with the Nobs track was still in good repair. So I would say I have not been out there since Nov. 2019 or Dec. 2020.
The Nobs track was just as steep as ever and the MVO Mt. Clear track was a constant slog going up or down it . From there the two possible routes over that leg of the AAWT were quite straight forward.
I do recall carrying at least 4 Litres of extra water. By the time I reached the saddle near High Cone coming up from the Nobs track, I was spent and I knew there was/ is no water up that way.I camped there for the night. I managed my water supply well into the next day and made it to the Clear Creek headwaters water point along the overgrown old logging track south of Mt. Clear with just enough water to get me there from near High Cone.
Going the other way from Mt. Clear in late 2018 was plain sailing heading for King Billy 1 & 2 and Hellfire creek , with zero navigation issues and water at Chester's Yard and just before the locked MVO gate at KB saddle.

https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=30547

https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=29061
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Fri 14 Jan, 2022 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Hiking Exped » Fri 14 Jan, 2022 11:26 am

Great Intel thanks.

Yes I have slogged up that very steep 4x4 Nobbs track to the Helicopter landing site and The Nobs a few times. A great way to start a walk :D The Mount Clear track from memory was much easier and more suitable for a group of not so fit types. Great to here DEWLP have kept that maintained. Yes, like you also recall needing lots of water around there. The side track at the top of the Mount Clear track, just before it meets the AAWT had a spring and creek flowing well when there last.

Thanks again for info, really useful.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 14 Jan, 2022 3:48 pm

I went up the Nobs track yet again :-0
in Late 2020 in very hot conditions to have a crack at Mt. McDonald as a day walk from The Upper Jamieson River. My friend and I turned back just before the true summit, on the AAWT . We were getting heat stressed and were concerned about our water supplies. We did not check the water point on the Barkly River valley side of the Nobs Track which drops down off the ridge about 1.5 kms. That spot , I am told , usually has water flowing under the jeep track.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hiking Exped » Fri 14 Jan, 2022 4:10 pm

A favourite part of the Alps for me as rarely see anyone :D

Unless it’s the middle of a hot summer I aim for a gully and spring up high off the Son of a *&%$#! track feeding the Barkly. Bit of a scrub bash to get too, but I’ve camped on that track edge too and the water is usually available. I think I’m heading up that way next week all being well and with the storms water should be ok. Always lug extra though as like you say very easy to suddenly start to dehydrate and from there you can go down hill very very quick.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 14 Jan, 2022 5:23 pm

The Last time I was walking over Mt. Clear I was quite surprised to see another person. I was not expecting that . Since I often bushwalk solo it was not something I thought would happen out there. The Crowds of people all walk the Razorback track from Mt. Hotham to Mt. Feathertop or out to Lake Tali Karng etc..
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CaptainC » Fri 14 Jan, 2022 7:40 pm

Mt Clear isn't bad for a winter snow camp. Great views. The climb up is steep so you don't have to slog through a lot of snow. Not a lot of skiing terrain though.
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hiking Exped » Sat 15 Jan, 2022 5:50 am

Where that Mt Clear track meets AAWT north of Mount Clear is a great winter camp spot from memory. A few years ago though :lol: I was hiking over the Billy’s to picture point and Lovicks, but retreated due to a white out. I then slipped and thought my ankle was in a bad way, and it was that awful “phone a friend” time :lol: or worse PLB. Managed to get to that spot and set up tent, then Ice (no problems with that) compression and elevation all night. Thankfully all good and next day ankle great and it was a beautiful day and superb trip.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 15 Jan, 2022 8:09 am

I have not been out that way in white season. The area of the AAWT North of Mt. Clear through to The King Billies looked like it could be XC skiable in the right conditions. The route is mostly along an MVO Jeep track. Navigation in a white out would be more 'interesting' though.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hiking Exped » Sat 15 Jan, 2022 9:54 am

Possible XC, I was just testing some white season kit back then. White out came from nowhere as they can do, it was a back bearing back to safest area job :lol:
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby LLSC » Sat 15 Jan, 2022 10:51 am

Glenn van der Knijff, in his book, makes reference to a saddle ~1 km west of AAWT on Mt Clear track, and a water source (Clear Creek) ~ 1/2 a km south of the saddle. Does any of you know how the camping site and water source are? His book is 17 years old, so information may be out of date. I am not sure if this is where you camped, Hiking Exped? Maybe in winter, you could camp at the actual track junction but when I was there a few weeks ago, it was a bit swampy, with plenty of puddles and LOTS of aggressive mosquitoes. Not inviting to stay any longer than necessary at that time.
LLSC
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GBW » Sat 15 Jan, 2022 11:10 am

I remember the walk from Mt Clear through to King Billies being relatively flat along the MVO track with plenty of places to camp. The trickiest bit was finding the route NE off Mt Clear in bad visibility but once you pick it up it's easy to follow. I saw a recent post on FB someone doing the Mt Clear traverse from Glens book and not finding the water source at his listed campsite. You could always push on to Chester Yards for reliable water. Nice campsite too and only a few extra kms.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Hiking Exped » Sat 15 Jan, 2022 11:55 am

That water source off Mt clear track was running a few years back when I was there. The little track off the main track to the spring and gully was a bit overgrown with a tree or two down from memory, but got to water ok. Must have been flowing ok as was using Katadyn pump back then. Nice little camp area at that saddle from memory too. I’ll likely be heading up that way in a couple of weeks if we get a cooler few days.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 18 Jan, 2022 1:50 pm

LLSC :I have camped at that spot mentioned by GVDK. I have found water at the described location each time I have been there. Go for it. It seems to be a reliable water source with some decent camp sites nearby too. The old logging track down to the water source is a bit of a scrub bash down the clearly bench cut jeep track.
Of course if you are new to the area it will take longer to locate unless you have the spot marked on a GPS map.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Victoria