Jamieson State Forest

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Jamieson State Forest

Postby Pink Cap » Mon 03 Jan, 2022 2:45 pm

Hi. I’m trying to find a 4 day walk in this part of the state that doesn’t repeat any of what I’ve previously done and I came up with a circuit starting from Running Creek campsite because access in my 2wd looks straightforward. When I go for a hike I don’t enjoy messing around in the car too much beforehand. I thought a simple loop heading east on Howqua Feeder to Tonacco Flat, south to Mitchells homestead site, west along Jamieson River to Grannys Flat and then north back to my car. I can’t imagine this is dead boring or especially difficult but I’d appreciate some comments.
Pink Cap
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Re: Jamieson State Forest

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 03 Jan, 2022 3:22 pm

I have not walked that section of the Howqua feeder track but blackberries could be an issue and most of the tracks for vehicles that lead from The Jamieson to Licola road down to the Jamieson river are 4 x 4 access only.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Thu 06 Jan, 2022 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.
Region: Victoria

Postby Hiking Exped » Mon 03 Jan, 2022 4:56 pm

Hi Pink Cap,

Not been that region this year, but last year I did some overnights from Running Creek to Fry’s Hut and Granny’s flat to Mitchell’s Homestead. 2wd access to Running creek should be fine, a steep small hill at the end into the campsite, but last year was graded well, The track last year following river was fine, very few Blackberries. We had a small river/stream crossing at Tobaco before a steep accent and decent on the track to Fry’s. Camping Tobacco looks fine though, private area along river from memory, but enough camping space and water in river.

The track from Mitchell’s to Granny’s also good. A few nice camping spots by river along here. I camped at one which was lovely. Not done the tracks in between Master/Symes and Howqua/Mitchell’s. They will likely be hardest most boring bits without water too.

Granny’s and Running Creek will be very busy, lots of families, 4WD, fishing and horse people in summer.

Enjoy.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stry » Thu 06 Jan, 2022 10:55 am

What is your intended route from Tobacco Flat to Mitchell's, and how much time have you allowed for that leg ?
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Pink Cap » Thu 06 Jan, 2022 1:30 pm

Many thanks for comments.

I’m now leaning towards doing two out and backs rather than making a loop, partly because it’s going to be very hot and also because on a recent hike nearby I found there were too many vehicles for comfort on the 4WD tracks. my original intention was to follow dirt roads shown on the map so I didn’t have any backtracking. I now think the out and backs along the two rivers should be more pleasant in warm weather. I will report back.
Pink Cap
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Pink Cap » Fri 07 Jan, 2022 7:26 am

Another option I’m considering is to walk to Fry’s hut and then do a side trip to Castle Rock or a little way up the Lickhole Creek track where it seems to have a camping area by a ford (east of Castle Rock but not accessible from there). I’ve been to Eagle Peaks recently so don’t wish to go there again so soon.
If I do Mitchell’s bridle track it seems there aren’t any extras I can add on unless I walk on Mitchell Track (road) or Silvermine Spur track (road) to Wrens Flat. Has anyone done this?
Pink Cap
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Hiking Exped » Fri 07 Jan, 2022 8:24 am

Hi again Pink Cap,

Did Lickhole creek a couple of years back and very overgrown. Passed the start of it last year on route to Fry’s on that steep 4x4 track and no signs parks had been working on it. You could camp at Fry’s and do a full day trip up to Mt Timbertop then camp back at the river somewhere before heading back to Running Creek.

Did Silvermine track a few years back to Wrens Nest, on a route over Mt Sunday to get onto the AAWT. The tracks were hard work, but it was the start of white season so wet and muddy in parts. In summer there could be a lot of 4x4 traffic here again.

I too find it hard to find a good circuit in that region, especially in summer.

Whatever you do enjoy! :D
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stry » Fri 07 Jan, 2022 9:20 pm

Pink Cap wrote:Another option I’m considering is to walk to Fry’s hut and then do a side trip to Castle Rock or a little way up the Lickhole Creek track where it seems to have a camping area by a ford (east of Castle Rock but not accessible from there). I’ve been to Eagle Peaks recently so don’t wish to go there again so soon.
If I do Mitchell’s bridle track it seems there aren’t any extras I can add on unless I walk on Mitchell Track (road) or Silvermine Spur track (road) to Wrens Flat. Has anyone done this?

In autumn 2021 I was up the LIckhole to maybe a k past the start of the spur that leads up to Eagle's Peaks. No problem, and not overgrown. Someone had been trimming little stuff up here and there which may have helped.

More importantly for your post, the nice little flat that you refer to at the ford, which is dropped down to after climbing up the ridge from the Howqua, has disappeared under blackberries. No longer is it any sort of camp site. There is only a narrow pad through the blackberries to the ford. There were still clear campsites beside the Lickhole and upstream of that ford.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Pink Cap » Tue 11 Jan, 2022 7:48 pm

In the end I went with my original plan and it was a very successful walk. I parked at Running Creek campsite and walked the Howqua Feeder track to Tobacco Flat to camp (one vehicle camper there). Then Howqua Hills track, Steiners Rd and Mitchells track to Mitchells Flat (15 kms and only saw 2 vehicles, very scenic roads) and on 2 kms to the first camping area by the Jamieson River. Then bridle trail to Grannys Flat campsite (campsite was quite busy). Last day Masons track, Mitchells track and Symes Rd (very steep hills both up and down but not a single vehicle) back to Running Creek. I saw no other bush walkers, 3 snakes and 15 horses. There wasn’t much blackberry on the trails but the infestation in the gullies is phenomenal, very sad. I had rather thought this would be a fairly flat walk, what with being along river banks but it proved to be anything but flat! Not that I minded that.
Pink Cap
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Glen_1 » Wed 12 Jan, 2022 8:07 pm

Hi Pink Cap,
Thanks for the track notes and it sounds like an interesting walk. What did you use for navigation? I am trying to follow your route on SV Maps Buller-Howitt Alpine Area 1:50,000 but the route disappears off the edge of the map.
Glen_1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Pink Cap » Thu 13 Jan, 2022 11:36 am

I had the paper Rooftop map Mansfield Mt Howitt Adventure Map. It shows my tracks clearly with some comments. I have the 2012 version but it was ok. Also the tracks all show on maps.me although I don’t like to rely on this too much. I was pleasantly surprised how nice the walking was on the dirt roads, great views and felt like walking on wide forest trails rather than roads. Can’t imagine those steep pitches would be fun to drive, but driving’s not my thing…..
Pink Cap
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Victoria