Road and water conditions for 7 day loop around Mt Howitt

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Road and water conditions for 7 day loop around Mt Howitt

Postby stevage » Sun 02 Jan, 2022 7:51 pm

Hey all,
Heading off soon to do what should be a 6-7 day hike with my partner, and would love some sanity checking of my proposed route, and any updated details about road conditions and water availability. (I did call Parks Vic, but they wouldn't put me through directly to the ranger, and I didn't get as much road info as I wanted.)

Here's the plan:

1 Upper Howqua Campground to Pykes Flat 7 [short cruisey warmup day]
2 Climb to Bluff Hut 15
3 Out to the Bluff and back, then camp at Lovick's HUt 29
4 Over Mt Magdala to Hells Window 36
5 Over Mt Howitt to Macalister Springs 41
6 Packdrop at turnoff to Crosscut Saw. Climb Mt Buggery, maybe a bit further, back down to camp along Stanley Name Spur. 50
7 Down and out. 59.3

Depending on how we're going, will probably combine days 4 and 5. (Maybe if feeling really strong we'll combine 4 and 5, and then add an extra night at Camp Creek)

Here's the map: https://www.alltrails.com/explore/map/m ... 23b7f0?u=m

We have a 2WD Ford Falcon (late 90s?), and partner doesn't do well with long windy roads, so trying to minimise the driving by doing all the hiking in one go :) I'm somewhat familiar with this area, though I haven't been to Mt Howitt before. (We've done the "Bluff Southern Circuit" walk, and climbed Mt McDonald, as well as Mt Koonika, Cobbler etc)

Questions:

I'm planning to get water at the following places - is this sensible? (We have tons of capacity, just not sure when to make use of it)

- Pikes Flat
- Bluff Hut
- Lovicks Hut
- stream south of Picture Point (as described here https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 9&p=405509 )
- Hellfire Creek
- Macalister Springs
- north of campsite on Stanley's Name Spur

2. Any problems getting a 2WD to Upper Howqua Campground?

3. If we're at Macalister Springs, is there any value in walking out to the viewpoint on the road?

4. Given that Mt Spec might be a bit too much in a day, is Mt Buggery a good turnaround point? Anywhere better to aim for?

5. Is avoiding Helicopter Spur like this a good thing or a bad thing?

6. Any other advice? :)
stevage
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Road and water conditions for 7 day loop around Mt Howit

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 02 Jan, 2022 8:55 pm

Questions:

I'm planning to get water at the following places - is this sensible? (We have tons of capacity, just not sure when to make use of it)

- Pikes Flat( water from the river)
- Bluff Hut( tank could be dry since 4 x4 vehicle enthusiasts reach plague proportions at this time of the year up there)
- Lovicks Hut( water is usually flowing near the 4 x4 track, about 700 M. from Lovick' s hut , if you are coming from King Billy)
- stream south of Picture Point (as described here https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 9&p=405509 )( I don't know about this water point)
- Hellfire Creek ( it was flowing but not gushing as of 29/12/21)
- Macalister Springs ( very good water, flowing well)
- north of campsite on Stanley's Name Spur ( very reliable water in my experiences there)
A couple of water points can be found on the old Queen's spur logging road just before you reach The SNS track junction.

2. Any problems getting a 2WD to Upper Howqua Campground? No, The Bindaree road is better than some sections of The Circuit road.

3. If we're at Macalister Springs, is there any value in walking out to the viewpoint on the road? . The view point of Mt. Magdala is about 1-2kms further on from The Howitt plains car park , where King Billy Track meets the Howitt road .It is well worth a look if the weather is clear and you are driving in your 4 x 4 car or in your SUV. I was there on 31/12/21.I would not make a special trip on foot from V.G. hut just to see it. The views from the AAWT at King Billy No. 1 out to Mt. Spec. are on a different level of scenic.

4. Given that Mt Spec might be a bit too much in a day, is Mt Buggery a good turnaround point? Anywhere better to aim for?.

I have piked out at Mt. B. before but keep in mind the scramble up and down the upper sections of SNS is taxing and in hot weather &/ or wet and windy conditions not to be underestimated. The section descending after the crab crawling down rock faces until you hit the camp site on SNS( near the water ) seemed to go on forever last time I went down that route.

5. Is avoiding Helicopter Spur like this a good thing or a bad thing?
I don't have any plans to go up Helicopter spur again soon .Only nutters try to go down it.
:-0

6. Any other advice? :)

Carry a spare 4 litre water bladder. The Buller/ Howitt area in the Jan. to March period can be tricky for finding water and having the capacity to transport water is something that is very useful.
The area is busy this time of the year so take a pump up water filter.
You might find water in soaks on the Bluff massif along the Summit walking trail but the hot summer sun is drying out the terrain.

stevage
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby stevage » Sun 02 Jan, 2022 10:08 pm

Thanks for the detailed response!

If the Bluff Hut tank is dry, are there any alternatives? Push on to Lovick's Hut, or beg water from a 4wd? :)
stevage
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Mon 03 Jan, 2022 6:27 am

stevage wrote:
Depending on how we're going, will probably combine days 4 and 5. (Maybe if feeling really strong we'll combine 4 and 5, and then add an extra night at Camp Creek)

You might find yourself combining more. Not sure of your skill and fitness level but 7km in a day is not much unless you like late starts and a lunch time finish. You should be able to get your car to the Upper Howqua camp. Leaving Helicopter spur for now would be good so you instincts are good. Get a feel for the area first but it does cut out a bit of boring road. Apart from a walk up to the Bluff you are not really starting any of the good stuff until day 4 but that is the sacrifice when you don't have a 4wd and are wanting to do a loop walk. You could consider doing Howitt spur instead and day trip it out to Magdalla from Mac Springs. Getting to Spec and back to SNS in a day is possible if you travel light but turning around at Buggery should see you do it easily. You could make the decision on the day.

I would not count on much water from Pykes flat until Hellfire creek. It may still be running this time of year as we have had lots of rain and the tanks may have some water as well but all depends on how much they have been used this season. You only need water for drinking if there is not enough for cooking. Having a dry meal option could help.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 03 Jan, 2022 6:45 am

Xplora wrote:
stevage wrote:

You should be able to get your car to the Upper Howqua camp. ... You could consider doing Howitt spur instead and day trip it out to Magdalla from Mac Springs.

I drove a 2WD to Upper Howqua a week ago (27th Dec), walked up Howitt Spur, stayed at Mac Springs (flowing nicely), and retraced my steps the next day. So, those are viable options/alternates.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 03 Jan, 2022 6:49 am

I'm not sure of your fitness/ability to suffer, but I'd leave Helicopter Spur if you're porting a heavy pack or just want a pleasant time. I've been rebuffed by it 3 times, but that could be due to ambition far exceeding ability. In fact, I'm sure it is. :)
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 03 Jan, 2022 8:04 am

You can get a 2WD down to the Upper Jamieson river near the Clear Creek track where it meets Brock's road . That means driving up Brock's road from Sheep yard flat to 8 Mile gap and descending into the Upper Jamieson river valley. The road is rough in places , use low gear and take a chainsaw just in case.
The point of starting down there is to ascend the MVO 4 x 4 track up to Mt. Clear. Camp there. There is water flowing over an overgrown 4 WD logging track south of the camp site below the Summit of Mt. Clear. Day two you can walk to the AAWT track junction . Leave your packs there if you like and visit the summit area of Mt. Clear.
Then continue to Chester's Yard to get water and push onto King Billy saddle. There should be water flowing across the 4 WD track about 500 M. before the locked gate at KB Saddle.
The views on a clear day from King Billy 2 and 1 on the AAWT are excellent.
From there you can get out to Mt. Magdala, Hellfire Creek, Mt Howitt, Cross Cut saw and Maybe camp on SNS near the water point. This could be your turn around point unless you press onto Mt. Spec. . and Camp Creek. Another turn around point is to go to Mac. Springs and turn around from there, making Mt. Howitt your Most Northerly summit on this trek .
See how you feel and what the weather is doing.
Retrace your steps and head for King Billy and Lovick's Hut. Once you get to The Bluff Hut the route goes over the Bluff Summit and down to Refrigerator Gap. Take the Refrigerator Gap 4 x 4 track back down to Brock's road on the Upper Jamieson River and return to your car and have a swim in the Upper Jamieson river. The car camping sites down there are good and are never as busy in summer as Sheep yard flat usually is.
The descent down the Bluff walking track starts off from the top as an almost vertical rock chute before relenting. I found it tough with big pack going down. Going up it is taxing too.
IMHO this is a solid 7 day walk with long days of up to 17 kms per day starting walking at 0730 and getting into camp at 1630 each day , carrying mostly dried and dehydrated food for 7. 5 days.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hiking Exped » Mon 03 Jan, 2022 10:42 am

Hi Stevage,

If it helps there was water in the tank at the Bluff hut last week, and water in the gully nearby. That gully spring rarely dries up. Did not see any wet soaks on the top though. There is a soak fed from a spring just north of Lovicks Hut which also was still full of water. Be vigilant going down to Hellfire Creek, two Copperhead snakes spotted down there before Christmas. No snakes my whole trip, but almost stepped on two getting down to Hellfire Creek. Plenty of water there before Christmas.

Enjoy
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stevage » Mon 03 Jan, 2022 2:39 pm

Baeng72 wrote:I'm not sure of your fitness/ability to suffer, but I'd leave Helicopter Spur if you're porting a heavy pack or just want a pleasant time. I've been rebuffed by it 3 times, but that could be due to ambition far exceeding ability. In fact, I'm sure it is. :)

Heheh, yeah I think I saw your write up in a different thread. My fitness and sufferability are ok, but my partner a bit less so at the moment. (We've done quite a few big climbs in the past, but it's been a few years...)
stevage
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby stevage » Mon 03 Jan, 2022 2:40 pm

Hiking Exped wrote:Hi Stevage,

If it helps there was water in the tank at the Bluff hut last week, and water in the gully nearby. That gully spring rarely dries up. Did not see any wet soaks on the top though. There is a soak fed from a spring just north of Lovicks Hut which also was still full of water. Be vigilant going down to Hellfire Creek, two Copperhead snakes spotted down there before Christmas. No snakes my whole trip, but almost stepped on two getting down to Hellfire Creek. Plenty of water there before Christmas.

Enjoy

Thanks, that is very helpful!
stevage
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 03 Jan, 2022 8:17 pm

stevage wrote:
Baeng72 wrote:I'm not sure of your fitness/ability to suffer, but I'd leave Helicopter Spur if you're porting a heavy pack or just want a pleasant time. I've been rebuffed by it 3 times, but that could be due to ambition far exceeding ability. In fact, I'm sure it is. :)

Heheh, yeah I think I saw your write up in a different thread. My fitness and sufferability are ok, but my partner a bit less so at the moment. (We've done quite a few big climbs in the past, but it's been a few years...)

Fair enough. I do leave a lot of verbal scat about this place.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby LLSC » Fri 07 Jan, 2022 8:17 pm

Hi Stevage.
I just spent a couple of days up that way: see https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=39131
I agree with Xplora that there is a bit of road walking early on. However, you'll ease into it and the walk from Bluff Hut to The Bluff is really worthwhile. The views are at least as good from Mt Eadley Stoney as from The Bluff, so do the brief side trip if it is a fine day. When you get to Mt Lovick, consider walking the 1 km or so out to Square Head Jinny: mostly, it is off-track but it is fairly open country and if you stay on the spur/high ground, navigation is OK.
There was a trickle of water at Hellfire Creek on Tuesday, this week. There was good flow in King River South Branch, just north of the campsite on the saddle on Stanleys Name Spur.
Giving advice about Helicopter Spur is fraught: it depends how much of a challenge you like. It's a steep ascent, climbing ~750 metres over a few km. There is a bit of scrambling, steep climbs needing handholds as well as footholds. If you like that sort of thing, you'll love it. But if you're out of the habit of suffering up steep hills, and you want to maintain your relationship with your partner, there may be better ways to start a 6-7 day walk.
Have a great time up there. Please let us know how the trip goes.
LLSC
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby stevage » Fri 07 Jan, 2022 8:40 pm

Thanks for all these replies. Finally going to start tomorrow. We did some daywalks around Mt Stirling, but with a forecast for up to 50mm of rain today, we took refuge in an Airbnb up on Buller. Barely a few showers in the end.

Partner's fitness isn't great (we tried the West ridge of Buller and only made it two thirds up) so happy with the easy if slightly dull route we have planned. If the first few days go well we can push over to Mt Spec and back.

First time hiking together since Tongariro Crossing in late 2019 , just great to be back out.
stevage
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 08 Jan, 2022 8:35 am

There is a steep 5 metre rock scramble up the last section of Mt. Spec. coming from South to North. Maybe take a rope and do a pack haul just in case for the return trip/descent .Water is definitely flowing at Camp Creek and at The stream 100 M. North of SNS saddle camp area.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Sat 08 Jan, 2022 4:03 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:There is a steep 5 metre rock scramble up the last section of Mt. Spec. coming from South to North. Maybe take a rope and do a pack haul just in case for the return trip/descent .

Not required. It is not that hard. I think once I had to pass someone's pack up once but most have climbed up and down with a full pack including a less than fit and slightly overweight (being kind) person.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stevage » Sat 15 Jan, 2022 1:47 pm

I've written a trip report up here: https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 98#p428698

It went great!
stevage
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Victoria