Bon Accord Ruins

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bon Accord Ruins

Postby Blasthiker » Mon 06 Dec, 2021 8:47 am

I was just wondering if you can camp at Bon Accord ruins at the moment. Also any advice on how long with 18-20kg packs to get there from the trail head. we are planning to go this weekend. Any help will be much appreciated.
Blasthiker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Top Gun Blasting
Region: Victoria

Re: Bon Accord Ruins

Postby GBW » Mon 06 Dec, 2021 3:56 pm

There is/was a small area to camp but it's not great. I remember somewhere near Bon Accord Hill there was another small grassy area on your left before the hut ruins but this is a while back (3-4 years). There's no water so you'll need to cart it up from the river. Timewise, well it took me what seemed an eternity of endless torture. It's about 5k up a fairly steep track so allow at least a couple of hours from the river where the incline starts, less if you're a fit rabbit.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Blasthiker » Mon 06 Dec, 2021 7:27 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Blasthiker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 07 Dec, 2021 12:46 pm

[EDIT] I originally wrote that the Spur is 7.3km* not 5km, but I realize the post I'm responding to is taking about the Hut from Washington creek, so updated.
Bon Accord hill is about 3km from Washington Creek, and the ruins of the Bon Accord Hut about 5.2km.

BA.JPG
Bon Accord Profile

BA2.JPG
Bon Accord route
BA2.JPG (60.16 KiB) Viewed 7257 times

*Assuming my projection of the DEMs data is correct, but it aligns correctly with the topo map 1km grid I traced the path on.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 07 Dec, 2021 1:10 pm

Unless PV have fixed the bridge over the creek at the bottom of BA spur then you will have to do a log crossing with a full pack. Don't look down!
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 07 Dec, 2021 1:13 pm

Photos from my Sept. 2015 mission up and down the BA spur. Give it a year or two more and I might have forgotten enough of the pain to try it again ;-P

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/113 ... Mn2mfP8sgE
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 07 Dec, 2021 1:48 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Unless PV have fixed the bridge over the creek at the bottom of BA spur then you will have to do a log crossing with a full pack. Don't look down!

*&%$#! that! I'd be going through the creek. That'd be a sure thing for me to drop a few meters and break something.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 07 Dec, 2021 2:16 pm

My Friend and I did the log crossing with snow camping gear ( Very heavy packs). It was character building.
I now have a lighter 4 seasons tent and I don't always take the guitar these days. Light is right.

The Bogong Creek Tramway and aqueduct has a similar crossing where the old bridge has collapsed and you have to walk on the pipe. It is a bit iffy but it can be done.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Tue 07 Dec, 2021 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GBW » Tue 07 Dec, 2021 3:10 pm

Baeng72 wrote:
paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Unless PV have fixed the bridge over the creek at the bottom of BA spur then you will have to do a log crossing with a full pack. Don't look down!

*&%$#! that! I'd be going through the creek. That'd be a sure thing for me to drop a few meters and break something.

There was no way I was attempting that log crossing in the rain without spikes, it was like ice. I had visions of a broken ankle if I fell so waded through. I saw a recent report on the BA and a photo seemed to indicate the bridge had been repaired.

bon accord bridge.jpg
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Blasthiker » Tue 07 Dec, 2021 6:45 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Photos from my Sept. 2015 mission up and down the BA spur. Give it a year or two more and I might have forgotten enough of the pain to try it again ;-P

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/113 ... Mn2mfP8sgE

Great photos, Im not sure if I can handle the snow! well done.
Blasthiker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Blasthiker » Tue 07 Dec, 2021 6:47 pm

GBW wrote:
Baeng72 wrote:

There was no way I was attempting that log crossing in the rain without spikes, it was like ice. I had visions of a broken ankle if I fell so waded through. I saw a recent report on the BA and a photo seemed to indicate the bridge had been repaired.

bon accord bridge.jpg

How can I find out if the bridge has been repaired?
Blasthiker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby GBW » Tue 07 Dec, 2021 9:45 pm

Blasthiker wrote:How can I find out if the bridge has been repaired?

I have it from a reliable source the bridge was repaired last year. Unless it's been raining heavily the creek is not hard to walk through without the bridge.
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Victoria