Free entry to Victoria's National Parks and Metro Parks

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Free entry to Victoria's National Parks and Metro Parks

Postby cherryw » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 5:43 pm

Something to be happy about

Free entry to Victoria's healthy parks will help make Victorians healthier
11 Apr 2010

Parks Victoria welcomes Premier John Brumby's announcement that entry to all of Victoria's national parks and metropolitan parks will be made free of charge to encourage people to get active in the great outdoors.

Opening the international Healthy Parks Healthy People Congress at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre, Mr Brumby said the health benefits for people getting out and exploring the natural world far outweighed the benefits of collecting entry fees from parks.

From 1 July 2010 there will be no entry fee to any national park or metropolitan park in Victoria. Parks Victoria estimates that removing entry fees will increase visitor numbers by 25 per cent to 50 per cent at most sites.

National parks that will be free are Wilsons Promontory, Mount Buffalo, Baw Baw, Mornington Peninsula, Yarra Ranges (Mount Donna Buang) and Point Nepean as well as Werribee Park, Coolart, National Rhododendron Gardens and William Ricketts Sanctuary metropolitan parks.

Encouraging people to get out and about in Victoria's parks is good for community wellbeing and good for regional economies.

Tens of millions of people enjoy our parks each year so making them more accessible will mean Victoria is an even better place to live, work and raise a family.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/parks ... -s0u3.html
"We are not actually lost,....... just temporarily misplaced."
cherryw
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Re: Free entry to Victoria's National Parks and Metro Parks

Postby cherryw » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 5:45 pm

"We are not actually lost,....... just temporarily misplaced."
cherryw
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tasadam » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 5:55 pm

That's really great for you.
Can't see it happening in Tassie, but you never know.
But, we do have the nicest parks down here, worth paying for (parochial biased one-eyed hat firmly on).
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby tastrax » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 9:18 pm

cherryw wrote:....Opening the international Healthy Parks Healthy People Congress at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre, Mr Brumby said the health benefits for people getting out and exploring the natural world far outweighed the benefits of collecting entry fees from parks.

:P So does that must mean that Parks Victoria will get all the savings (?) from the health budget to help maintain the Parks ...should there be increased visitation? I doubt it.

Maybe they will make their money from parking meters in Parks?
http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources/16_1602.html
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby north-north-west » Tue 13 Apr, 2010 8:31 pm

Geeez, that's going to make the numbers visiting the Prom skyrocket. I just hope there's plenty of funding to cope with it.
Will be nice to be able to visit BawBaw during winter for free, but.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby leithel » Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:42 pm

I doubt it will increase visitor number by 25-50%. People that want to visit National Parks will visit them regadless of fees. If they really want to promote parks, why dont htey do some TV advertising. The average joe knows nothing about the many parks in Victoria. They only way you will hear about them is by going on the Parks Victoria website
leithel
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Tue 20 Apr, 2010 6:04 pm

Donna Buang, Buffalo and Baw Baw will get more people in the winter, which is the only time the entry fees apply. The Prom - which is one place I reckon they need something to discourage visitors rather than increase them - will get more. Mornington Peninsula will too, in time.
Going to be a few people out of work, but. Bet some of the local communities aren't too happy about it.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neil_fahey » Thu 22 Apr, 2010 3:06 pm

Completely ridiculous if you ask me... Parks Vic need all the money they can get. I'm happy to shoot them a few bucks when I enter certain parks, knowing that the money will go straight back into the park. Hard to believe the level of stupidity being displayed. The majority of parks will see absolutely no increase.

A good start to encouraging people to visit parks would be to provide up-to-date and accurate Park Notes and maps!
neil_fahey
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: BushwalkingBlog.com.au

Postby WarrenH » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 10:07 am

As much as I like visiting Victoria, and have for many years the Victorian parks are far too touristy as it is, compared to elsewhere.

"Healthy parks healthy people" the slogan goes, will now need to change to "Tourist parks were once nature parks."

Warren.
WarrenH
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby north-north-west » Tue 27 Apr, 2010 6:50 pm

WarrenH wrote:A... the Victorian parks are far too touristy as it is, compared to elsewhere.

A few are. But compared to the Snowies, for instance, you can hardly say that the Alpine NP - especially the Wonnongatta-Moroka unit - is over-developed, or 'too touristy'.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby WarrenH » Wed 28 Apr, 2010 12:26 pm

NNW I've basically stopped going to National Parks except for the Bicentennial National Trail and where some of the decommissioned Travelling Stock Routes can be found because the spirit of the wild places is continually being dumb-down by park restrictions, not just the moment parks boundaries are entered ... except in the most remote regions (because who knows where a park boundary is?). I'd like to show you examples of what I mean but I was sent a note by this site requesting that I dumb-down my photos. I'd rather not post images without presence.

NSW is bad commercially for sure. The Blue Mountains, both east and now in the west west, are heavily commercial and idiot board and cluttered signs fill the parks and you mentioned the Snowy region, the snow field region is a very sad case, but when I visit Victoria, the restrictions on travel, the inept advice from the help line, the dismissive nature of Parks Vic rangers and overly restrictive no bush camping in east Gippsland are just totally uncalled for and have turned places like east Gippsland into set day walks or car camping.

Have you seen the new Tidal River Management Plan? ... build, build, build!!! ... and then build more "We are giving you buildings lots of buildings." Parks Vic are proud of this!

Some one once wrote, "We go to the wilderness to be brave." but in Victoria, go to the parks website to have that bravery knocked out of you firstly, before you even enter a park and stay on the class A well formed roads, they expect you'll die when you get lost. I'm sure Vic Parks would prefer to sell you a book on wilderness than have a single person experience wilderness up close and personal.

When I say that I've basically stopped going to National Parks, Parks Vic and NSW parks staff are so unhelpful and there is a much under used resource controlled by the Livestock Health and Pest Authority in NSW that is wonderful without the National Parks *&^%$#!. The LHPA control parcels of pristine and near pristine vegetation that we are all welcome to use. LHPA Rangers are very friendly and helpful unlike the average Vic and NSW Park Rangers.

When help and advice is needed, Parks Vic can't supply it, NSWP&WS doesn't want to supply it, it is their patronising overly precious parks culture. Parks Vic and NSW could learn a lot from how the ACT, the Tasmanian and the NSW LHPA Rangers conduct themselves and care for members of the public and give accurate advice.

When I travel on the Barry Way the NSW section of the road is fun but atrocious, atrocious for one of Australia's most scenic bush roads. In places it is an unexpectedly and badly rutted goat track. At Willis the road instantly becomes a first class dirt road but the sign says, ... Welcome to Victoria. You are travelling on a very dangerous section of road. Extreme care and caution are needed. I love entering Victoria here because the road is so good ... but when Wally World comes on mass ... I hope the Victorian signage gets seriously updated to cope.

Warren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Wed 28 Apr, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 14 times in total.
WarrenH

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 28 Apr, 2010 1:09 pm

WarrenH wrote:I was sent a note by this site requesting that I dumb-down my photos. I'd rather not post images without presence.

I'm not certain what you're referring to here, but please don't stop posting photos! :-) If you need to post a large number of them, just make sure they are either in the gallery, or that there's a warning in the topic title (as per forum rules).

If you're replying to an existing topic and can't change the topic title (eg, it was started by somebody else), then post them in a new topic and link to the new topic, or PM a moderator asking them to update the topic title.

I don't think anybody wants you to 'dumb-down' your photos. We all enjoy looking at them.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby WarrenH » Wed 28 Apr, 2010 2:08 pm

Nik, after re-reading the note, I now understand the site requirement. I thought that I was limited only to 200kb if posting outside the Gallery Section. It is now clear to me ... I hope.

Warren.
WarrenH

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 28 Apr, 2010 4:15 pm

ah, that's good... sorry for any confusion. :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby north-north-west » Wed 28 Apr, 2010 7:05 pm

Warren, you need to get out more.
I spend a lot of time in the Victorian Alps, most of it in the Alpine National Park, and I don't feel at all restricted. It's easy enough to ignore signs that are designed for idiots - and one must remember that without the signage, PV are leaving themselves open to massive lawsuits if someone so much as stubs a toe. It's also very easy to find places where the tourists don't go (almost anywhere there's a gravel road, a creek crossing and a lack of tap water) and where there's no development.
Sure, Tidal River and the Grampians cop heaps - but they're probably the two most popular areas with tourists, and they need the infrastructure there to cope with the numbers.
As for camping in East Gippsland - I assume you mean in the coastal areas? I've never had any trouble finding somewhere to stop overnight whether walking or driving.

Sounds like you're as antisocial as I am, and even more persnicketty. Relax. Ignore what's irrelevant. Get off the beaten track and enjoy yourself.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby WarrenH » Thu 29 Apr, 2010 9:07 am

NNW, I should get out more? I definitely should.

I'm just about to do the Monteagle Travelling Stock Route and link the TS Reserves south of Cowra across to Blaney on the the old Lachlan TSR, which will eventually join to the Oberon-Colong TSR then at Mount Werong I'll join the Bicentenial National Trail back to Canberra. This has taken much time since the New Year to research and to organise. Yes I should get out more ... I'm looking forward to it.

I'm also looking forward to Parks Victoria replying to a raft of questions about East Gippsland that I requested several weeks before the last March long weekend. They weren't complex questions.

Perhaps try this NNW. There is a pure stand of Podocarpus Lawrencii on the Errinundra Plateau, a true freek of nature, where the normally small rock hugging Mountain Plums grow to a staggering hight and where one could walk across the the canopy of these giant tree like shrubs (like scientists do) many metres above the ground (I do know where it is). Scientists come from all over to see this extraordinary habitat. Ask Parks Vic where is it, tell them you would like to see it. I'd love to know what the response is ... but I can guess. You will get, ... "Sorry, I know nothing about it." I then requested that the person who knows contact me, NNW maybe they will contact you being a Victorian rate payer.

... and is the parks component within your rates going up, to counter the shortfall in Parks Vic revenue?

Warren.
WarrenH

Postby north-north-west » Thu 29 Apr, 2010 8:31 pm

Rates? You mean those things that landowners pay to the local council?
a) Nothing to do with Parks, which is a state body, not local government.
b) What makes you think I ever have or ever will be in a position to be a landowner? I do everything on the cheap, including my Hovellacious rented accommodation.

Maybe it's something about you. ;) I've needed info from Parks half a dozen times over the last three or four years; I've just emailed them and the responses have been prompt, polite, relevant and, when tested, accurate.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby WarrenH » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 3:53 am

NNW, the Parks Charge ... it is this charge.

The Parks Charge is levied under Section 139 of the Water Industry Act 1994 and is calculated by applying the Net Annual Value (NAV) of commercial and residential properties as determined by the relevant local Council. A minimum charge applies for a majority of ratepayers.

The charge is collected annually in order to save the administrative cost of collecting more regularly. Parks Victoria is also able to invest some of the funds for use later in the year.
The valuation by local council determines the level of the charge. Most property owners pay the minimum charge that is currently $62.35. Only properties valued by the Local Council over $330,769 will pay more than the minimum charge. The charge increases periodically in accordance with the Consumer Price Index.

Council Rates are based on Net Annual Valuation. The Parks Charge is based on the Net Annual Value determined by Council. Legislation dictates that 1990 property values are used.

The current legislated level is 0.377% of Net Annual Value with a minimum annual charge of $62.35.

The NAV is based on the Capital Improved Valuation (CIV) - the value of the property. Some rate payers pay as much as $17,000.
Council use the CIV in two different ways to calculate rate valuations for residential and commercial rates.

Residential NAV.This is legislated to be 5% of Capital Improved Value. Effectively it means the Parks Charge is annually about one five thousandth or less of the property value.

Commercial NAV. This is more complicated. It is 5% or greater of the CIV, or council determined equivalent rent, adjusted for outgoings, whichever is greater. This means the valuations can best be understood by speaking to the valuations department of your local Council.

Land exempt from Parks Charge

* Land vested in the Crown, the Public Transport Corporation or the Minister administering the Education Act 1958 and used for public purposes (ie:- this could be a public primary school/high school)
* Land that is not rateable under Section 154 of the Local Government Act 1989 (ie:- Local Council Park)
* Recreational lands within the meaning of the Cultural and Recreational Lands Act 1963

Farms often complement the purpose (open space values) of parks and reserves and are exempt from paying.

According to the Water Industry Act.139 (6), non-residential, non-commercial and non-industrial land may be exempt. Effectively this means that agricultural land that is classified as a “farm” would be exempt. In the rural-urban fringe this is usually properties of 50 acres or more, although some intensive agricultural land has been classified as farm and therefore exempt from the Parks Charge by the water retail companies. Check with local council classifications.

Free access to Vic National Parks and Regional Parks and Metro Parks? ... I'd hate to think it got more expensive than this for the big smoke dwellers. There is always a sting in the tail.

The above is an edited summary of the Parks Charge. The legislation can be found at Information Victoria and the Park Charge details and fees can be found at Parks Victoria's.

Warren.
WarrenH

Postby jcr_au » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 8:41 pm

Warren

I'd say that is probably a hang over from the old MMBW parks system and would apply to maintenance of such parks as those along the Maribyrnong River and other metro parks.

Certainly living in rural Vic we don't pay it
John R
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work.
I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
jcr_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby WarrenH » Mon 03 May, 2010 3:10 pm

jcr_au (as you no doubt, know well), Parks Charge was meant to be a Melbourne thing, or Parks Charge was originally meant to be a Melbourne thing ... but where does greater Melbourne finish nowadays, Geelong, the Youyangs, Hotham, Mafra, Wilson's Prom? I'd believe Wilson's Prom to Lakes Entrance (on the March long weekend) ... and does the ability that Parks Vic has, to invest moneys, allow them to only limit their spending to the inner city Melbourne parks, waterways and open spaces? If I was investing money on behalf of Parks Vic, I'd invest it in all of the Victorian Parks and roadside grazing lands. Parks Vic's mandate that allows them to invest money, appears somewhat open spaced.

Living in Canberra, I have no idea where our Land Rates, Water Rates, utility fees and taxes actually end up ... I know that there is something out-there in Administration Land called the Bottomless Pit. The longer anything takes to reach the bottom ... more time's allowed for hidden floaters to rise.

"Robbing Peter to pay Paul," is more than a cliché, it is the unassailable truth.

Warren.

PS, I didn't consciously mean to leave out Dorodong and Halls Gap from being in Greater Melbourne, sorry ... I just forgot, OK.
WarrenH

Postby Earwig » Tue 11 May, 2010 3:24 pm

The Park Charge was created by Melburne Water to get money to "green" Melbourne and was used to buy land and create parks around Melbourne. The money has to be spent in the area that it is derived from and goes to places like Botanic Gardens, the Zoo and a swag or other parks. Not sure of the boundary but it could be based on municpal council or water supplier areas.
Live life moving around so when you're dead people can tell the difference.
MY HIKING BLOG http://ian-folly.blogspot.com/
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 11 May, 2010 7:59 pm

WarrenH wrote:PS, I didn't consciously mean to leave out Dorodong...

Never heard of the place. Are you sure you don't mean Dandongadale?

The Hovell is just inside the 50km radius from the GPO and is, according to the Bureau of Statistics definition, well within the City area, which supposedly includes the entire Mornington Peninsula and everything out as far east as Pakenham. The landowners' rates do not include a Parks charge. Most likely you'll find that it's only applicable to residences under the jurisdiction of the Melbourne City Council, as the monies raised are spent only within that area.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Liamy77 » Mon 17 May, 2010 4:13 pm

north-north-west wrote: It's easy enough to ignore signs that are designed for idiots - and one must remember that without the signage, PV are leaving themselves open to massive lawsuits if someone so much as stubs a toe.[.....]
Ignore what's irrelevant. Get off the beaten track and enjoy yourself.

Hey maybe we should all be asked to sign a legal disclaimer for parks access??! lol
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby north-north-west » Mon 17 May, 2010 7:56 pm

Liamy77 wrote:Hey maybe we should all be asked to sign a legal disclaimer for parks access??! lol

Try snorkelling Pics. :roll:
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Liamy77 » Wed 19 May, 2010 3:58 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Liamy77 wrote:Hey maybe we should all be asked to sign a legal disclaimer for parks access??! lol

Try snorkelling Pics. :roll:

lol i would but i suck at swimming ... and the idiot signs keep washing away!? :wink:

I actually agree with your original point btw - i just think that the whole safety issue goes a bit far from time to time... if they look after everyone too much we wouldn't have as many good Darwin Award contenders after all!
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby north-north-west » Wed 19 May, 2010 7:19 pm

That's why I said snorkelling. You don't need to be able to swim to snorkel. And the (mandatory) wetsuit will give you enough buoyancy to keep you from drowning unless you're determined to kill yourself.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 9:31 pm

A lot of revenue will be lost by making entry free for everybody. Generally People don't value what they don't pay for.
The parks people will soon cry poor and argue that having a McDonald's in every Nat. Park is the only way to make $$$ to run them.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Return to Victoria