Grampians Peaks Trail

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Grampians peak trail

Postby ggorgeman » Tue 29 Mar, 2022 1:05 pm

neustace wrote:Planning to hike from Roses Gap through to Halls Gap (N2-4) on the Grampians Peak trail in 2 weeks. Does anyone know the water status at Gar and werdung campgrounds? Parks Vic say they have tanks at roses gap road and mount difficult road but that would mean carrying 2 days of hiking plus water for meal. Not crazy about that idea

Definitely a tank at the new Troopers Creek campsite on Roses Gaps road, almost adjoining the GPT trailhead for the section up to Gar (Mt Difficult). I didn't recall a tank at the trailhead carpark; however it's only approx 200m to the Troopers Creek campsite. Then another tank at the GPT Gar campsite which is the next GPT site up/along the trail. Both tanks were very full 3 weeks ago when I was there, heavy showers had been through 24 hours prior. Not sure though what the draw-down has been like over 3 weeks, I think it has been dry since then.

Not sure if there is a tank at Werdug, the next site on (and last site before reaching Halls Gap from memory).
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Grampians Peaks Trail

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 29 Mar, 2022 3:17 pm

As a fallback, if there's no water at Gar campsite, instead of following GPT to eastern side of Mt Difficult range, head past summit and down to Long Point West. There's a water tank there, which may still be useful. Then head to Long Point East, you'll cross a few creeks that may have water (MacKenzie River) and then head back to GPT via Long Point East, there's a spring after it. A bit of a meander, and I can't vouch for any of those having water now, so only as a fallback, not suggested route.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Grampians Peaks Trail - Open??

Postby jimjim » Wed 15 Jun, 2022 2:45 pm

jimjim wrote:
This track is being constructed to footpath standard...

Well, that's not quite right....

While some sections are indeed of footpath standard there are some sections (where the money ran out???) that are very rough. It appears that vegetation has been cleared and that's it. Loose, jumbled and slippery boulders underfoot for 100s of meters on steep hill sides. At lease there are a few route markers epoxied to rocks indicating the way.

If it is wet, snowing or very windy, be particularly careful on the section descending from the Seven Dials and the "new" section descending to and from Banksia Hill on the major Mitchell Plateau (especially considering the exposure to bad weather in this part of the trail).

I'd also recommend having shoes that you are confident in when on wet, icy, mossy and lichenous rocks. There are long sections of bare rock that present hazards when wet (any time of year).

But it IS fantastic!!
jimjim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Grampians Peaks Trail - Open??

Postby Warin » Wed 15 Jun, 2022 3:27 pm

jimjim wrote:
jimjim wrote:While some sections are indeed of footpath standard there are some sections (where the money ran out???) that are very rough.

Rough or 'natural'? The section up to Mt Rosa is ... um... 'natural' :lol: taking a full back pack through the rocks (you need to go under some) would be 'strenuous'.

Full agree on wet = very slippery. My Salomons XA pros could have been better. Might give La Sportivas a try next, probably a trade off of traction vs longevity. Even at a loss of longevity I'd rather have traction.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby skybeau » Mon 25 Jul, 2022 6:39 pm

Quick q on the GPT.

We are locked in to hike a few sections (Gar to Jimmy Creek) over the school holidays. How does a trekking pole tent go on the tent platforms? We've got a Gossamer Gear Two and just wondering how it'll go on those platforms, I can imagine the tip of the poles slipping if not embedded. Any tips for keeping them in place?
skybeau
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Drew » Mon 25 Jul, 2022 7:00 pm

skybeau wrote:Quick q on the GPT.

We are locked in to hike a few sections (Gar to Jimmy Creek) over the school holidays. How does a trekking pole tent go on the tent platforms? We've got a Gossamer Gear Two and just wondering how it'll go on those platforms, I can imagine the tip of the poles slipping if not embedded. Any tips for keeping them in place?

I've used my X-mid on tent platforms in the Western Arthurs. Nor problems with the pole slipping (can't remember if I pitched handles-up or down). I used cup hooks to give me flexibility with tie-outs. Cup hooks are easy to screw into timber platforms but I don't know what the GPT platforms are made of.
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 26 Jul, 2022 8:47 am

Drew wrote:
skybeau wrote:Quick q on the GPT.

I've used my X-mid on tent platforms in the Western Arthurs. Nor problems with the pole slipping (can't remember if I pitched handles-up or down). I used cup hooks to give me flexibility with tie-outs. Cup hooks are easy to screw into timber platforms but I don't know what the GPT platforms are made of.

Maybe some fish bone anchors like these: https://www.amazon.com.au/BONANA-Ultral ... B07WDHL6XK
You can pick them up cheaply from Aliexpress/Amazon/ebay.
Authorities are sometimes unhappy with cup screws/hooks chewing into platforms.
I have used platforms a few times and not had issues with trekking pole tent.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CraigVIC » Thu 25 Aug, 2022 10:30 am

A bit slow on this reply but the platforms have adjustable chains (Gar, Werdug) and are easy to use. I would take an xmid without worries. Bugiga are different and you'll need to tie cord to a wire around the circumference. It's a pain but easy enough. The boards are set too close for fish bone anchors and the wood is incredibly dense making cup hooks a struggle. I believe there the new chained platforms for the rest but haven't personally walked it.

Also, Gar is exposed so be prepared for setting your tent for windy weather.
CraigVIC

Postby skybeau » Tue 11 Oct, 2022 6:44 pm

Thanks for the replies, and sorry for not replying sooner.

Had no issues with keeping the tent upright, just took some extra cord and that helped tension it correctly. Unfounded worries in the end!

And Craig, it was raining and blowing at Gar so we slept in the hut, with about 6 other hikers :)
skybeau
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby CraigVIC » Wed 12 Oct, 2022 6:32 am

skybeau wrote:And Craig, it was raining and blowing at Gar so we slept in the hut, with about 6 other hikers :)

Seems to be a pretty common experience over the last couple of months. Can't help but think the desire to create a great site for the huts and marketing photos has compromised good sense in selecting this spot for the camp. Must be wonderful in good weather though.
CraigVIC

Postby Dexter » Wed 04 Jan, 2023 11:10 am

CraigVIC wrote:A bit slow on this reply but the platforms have adjustable chains (Gar, Werdug) and are easy to use. I would take an xmid without worries. Bugiga are different and you'll need to tie cord to a wire around the circumference. It's a pain but easy enough. The boards are set too close for fish bone anchors and the wood is incredibly dense making cup hooks a struggle. I believe there the new chained platforms for the rest but haven't personally walked it.

Also, Gar is exposed so be prepared for setting your tent for windy weather.

I'm just reading back over this. Potentially taking a trekking pole tent along. I take it then that fish hooks or cup hooks a really not much help? Just take extra cord?
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CraigVIC » Wed 04 Jan, 2023 5:49 pm

Unless you stay at bugiga (which was built long before the rest and has a totally different style) then you most likely don't need to take anything, not even pegs. Of course some cord would be wise but each pad has 8 adjustable chains to hook to your peg loops to. So the 4 corners and 4 mid points. How many pegs do you need to set up your tent dexter?

Check the description of the camps you are using because some have granitic sand pads. If the platforms are taken or you prefer the sand pads they have boards around them with hooks at the corners. It's a bit hard to explain but a little additional cord should be sufficient to get your tent up on these too.
CraigVIC

Postby Dexter » Wed 04 Jan, 2023 9:24 pm

CraigVIC wrote:Unless you stay at bugiga (which was built long before the rest and has a totally different style) then you most likely don't need to take anything, not even pegs. Of course some cord would be wise but each pad has 8 adjustable chains to hook to your peg loops to. So the 4 corners and 4 mid points. How many pegs do you need to set up your tent dexter?

Check the description of the camps you are using because some have granitic sand pads. If the platforms are taken or you prefer the sand pads they have boards around them with hooks at the corners. It's a bit hard to explain but a little additional cord should be sufficient to get your tent up on these too.
Thanks heaps for that. Super helpful!

We haven't yet nailed down exactly which section we will do, but I'll be sure to check out the camps in more detail. That puts my mind at rest for the platforms anyway. My tent needs 8 pegs, 4 for the bathtub, 2 for the vestibules, and 2 opposite the trekking poles for the ridgeline.

Ive seen some pics of the sand platform type things. I'm guessing you could just peg into some of that as usual or also use the hooks around the sides?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drew » Thu 05 Jan, 2023 1:16 pm

Dexter I did a couple of sections before Xmas, me with my X-mid and my friend with his Triplex. We took pegs for the granitic sand pads at Wannon. I think that was probably easier than using the hooks (although I didn't try the hooks). The set-up of the chains on the platforms seemed made for the Triplex (see pic). Not as perfect for the X-mid but it was still fine - we didn't need to use any of the spare cord we'd brought along. Only problem is you don't have much flexibility in terms of tent orientation, which could be a problem at some sites (some of the tent pads at Mud-Dadjug for example are really exposed - desire for views trumping sensible design).

There were some lovely sections of track, but I remain unconvinced about the massive amount of infrastructure (especially in a fire-prone landscape) and the exorbitant fees.
Attachments
_J3A0406.jpg
Drew

Postby Dexter » Thu 05 Jan, 2023 1:35 pm

Drew wrote:There were some lovely sections of track, but I remain unconvinced about the massive amount of infrastructure (especially in a fire-prone landscape) and the exorbitant fees.

Ain't that the truth. I can afford it, but what about the families and various other demographics that are priced out of going hiking in the area? Don't get me started.
Either way I'm still keen to go with my friends and curious to check it out. I reckon the layout of those chains / loops on the platforms will suit the Stratospire Li wonderfully by the look. Each anchor point on the tent is fairly evenly spread out.

Cheers!
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Walking_addict » Mon 20 Feb, 2023 8:03 pm

Just planning this for latter 2 weeks in May, and yeah it's not cheap, but will be pretty good for a long needed stretch.

The whole trip now is $533.50 for a through walk, 11 camps located along the track, the 3.5m x 3.5m tent platforms are supposedly made for 2 man tents.
Parks Vic told us if we can fit our megamid on there for the 3 of us on this walk, then we split the $ between us . . . they are flexible and allow this.

Shuttle services is another decent cost, but the GPWCo $240 for any split for through trek setup is also split between a group, so can be affordable by taking one vehicle.

I'd spend more overall staying home for 2 weeks, so although cost is a little high for what we're used to (pretty much free, lol), I can live with it on the rare occasion.

Should be a reasonable challenge in places, around 8.7km overall in ascent and same in descent on the 166km or so.
Now for some 4 x weekly serious training for almost 3 weeks exactly before we are into it.
Cheers,
Les
Walking_addict
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: South Australia

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 28 Feb, 2023 8:28 am

One big bushfire will wipe out all of that expensive intrusive poo... that has been built in the bush just for cashed up walkers in the Grampians.
I am still keen to walk the A***** Ears again and camp up there, BYO water.
The Fortress is another such location.
It is like the Grampians were thirty years ago.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby CraigVIC » Wed 29 Mar, 2023 4:53 pm

Latest figures for the GPT have been given, 13000 nights booked since Nov 2021.

https://www.parks.vic.gov.au/news/2023/ ... rience-now
CraigVIC

Postby ajc11 » Tue 18 Apr, 2023 12:51 pm

Hi we're looking at doing a 3 day overnight hike around Mt William and Major Mitchell Plateau.

What's the current standing on dispersed camping around there now that it's part of the peaks trail? Can you recommend any spots? We're currently a group of 7 people but there are only 3 x 2 person sites left. I'm sure we could squeeze but we'd also like to do longer stretches of hiking each day than the 11-12km between camps. Have done a few overnight hikes in the gramps, but not since the peaks trail has been installed.
ajc11
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 18 Apr, 2023 7:00 pm

If you can navigate and can handle rock scrambling , have a suitable vehicle then the trek over the A******'s ears from one side to the other ( BYO water) could be interesting. I have read a trip report on the WWW about that. I just went into the area and walked up and down the same route .That was good and quite free of nanny state nonsense or user pays glamping intrusions.
PV have no staff or resources to police people walking off track , camping in the bush and so on.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Wed 19 Apr, 2023 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby CraigVIC » Wed 19 Apr, 2023 4:58 pm

ajc11 wrote:Hi we're looking at doing a 3 day overnight hike around Mt William and Major Mitchell Plateau.

What's the current standing on dispersed camping around there now that it's part of the peaks trail? Can you recommend any spots?

Nothing has changed with the gpt, dispersed camping wasn't and isn't allowed on or around the plateau. I think a spot suitable for 7 would be very difficult to find. You can camp at First Wannon and Jimmy Creek for a two night loop. The old loop is still in place and you don't need to use the new campsites.
CraigVIC

Postby ggorgeman » Thu 20 Apr, 2023 9:10 am

How about....
Day 1 - start at Mt Zero (worth investing hour or so and do Mt Zero summit), then do the Mt Stapylton Loop clockwise and camp the night at Coppermine Campsite. It is 4wd accessible but if mid-week shouldn't be many there. There is also a clearing just north of main campsite/s that gives a bit of space from any car campers.
Day 2 - drop onto the GPT (crosses Coppermine Track close to campsite) and go through to Barigar, then on, up to and past Gar, onwards to Longpoint West LPW. Take in the Gar Summit on the way. Its effectively hike-in only, it has water tank and long drop and a number of sandy pads that could accommodate 7. I think a booking system applies.
Day 3 - head in Longpoint East direction and pick up the GPT and potentially a big day could get you to Halls Gap.

An option after LPW could be to drop down to Lake Wartook and on to the Smiths Mill campsite. Again this is vehicle accessible.

This mightnt be quite what you're after but does have some options in the area.
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby vagrom » Fri 18 Aug, 2023 12:40 am

There's a nice Peaks Trail address on Instagram with 129 photos that gives some idea of views and atmosphere along the trail.
Attachments
Screenshot_2023-08-17-23-10-14-1.png
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Re: Grampians Peaks Trail - Tent Platforms

Postby Jack Doolan » Sat 07 Oct, 2023 7:18 am

Hello

My daughter has arranged a 3 day bonding exercise next weekend along the last three day section. She has booked both campsites for 2 people ($100.80 for the two of us) however, when I read the parks website it suggests one platform is suitable for one two person tent. We were intending to take the Durston 1P for her and the Nemo Dragonfly 2 P for me. Did see a pic in this thread of a tent on a platform and it looks a bit squeeze for two. For those with direct experience of the GPT, are we going to fit?
Jack Doolan
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Eremophila » Sat 07 Oct, 2023 5:26 pm

You should be fine. There are actually two sizes of platform but I’m not sure if that’s the case at every campsite. I didn’t think it was that obvious in the booking process.
At worst you could sleep on the floor in the big hut… there’s a broom so you can sweep out all the sand that everyone tramps in. Or there may be spare platforms.
Eremophila

Postby Eremophila » Sat 07 Oct, 2023 5:45 pm

This is my Mont Moondance 2 and this must have been a larger platform which I had taken without realising. I had to use a couple of mini occy straps on one side as the chains didn’t quite reach.
Attachments
Gar campground .jpg
Gar campground .jpg (170.91 KiB) Viewed 6975 times
Eremophila

Postby Jack Doolan » Sat 07 Oct, 2023 7:15 pm

Eremophila wrote:

Cheers mate. My daughter booked it so I don't know if there is an option for a larger platform. By my reading of the parks website, they only refer to 3.5m x 3.5m. I pegged it out on the lawn and substituted a Taprtent Moment for the Durston and we just fit. BTW, I have the Moondance 2 and it is by far my favourite tent. Quality plus!
Jack Doolan
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Eremophila » Sat 07 Oct, 2023 7:36 pm

Yeh I just checked and the Gar/Werdug section has the option for a standard or large tent pad, the section you’re doing doesn’t have that option.

Pleased to see they have listened to feedback and are providing more flexibility:

“We are currently improving the Grampians Peaks Trail booking system to make it easier to book and provide more flexibility in how you plan your hike.

The improvements, which are expected to be complete by mid-October 2023, will give hikers the ability to:

Skip a hike-in campground to hike longer distances in a single day
Hike in either direction - north-to-south (recommended) or south-to-north
Start at more points along the GPT to enable more single-night hikes
Add extra rest day(s) in Halls Gap (if hiking through)
Book easily using an interactive map (rather than by set itineraries)”
Eremophila

Postby stevage » Tue 10 Oct, 2023 11:48 am

I just did the first 4 days of this trail (Mt Zero to Halls Gap) last week (Sun-Wed). Overall, I'm a huge fan. It's incredible! The route is brilliant, really taking you through so many great spots, excellent views, interesting walking, etc etc. And the trail construction is of a standard I haven't really seen before in Australia - so many steps made of local stone, in a way that is really aesthetically appealing. I can only imagine how much effort it took to build.

The night before the hike we camped at Plantation Campground, which was really great for a free campsite. Surprisingly few people making noise late at night or otherwise being annoying.

We pondered a couple of options for getting to the start of the trail, but ended up parking the car at the start of the Mt Zero road, and hitch-hiking. It only took 10 minutes until a convoy of members from the Sydney Bushwalking Club stopped to pick us up. (Thank you if you're reading!) They were off to do a day walk up Mt Zero.

I can highly recommend this particular week of the year: the first week after school holidays. Halls Gap was relatively quiet, campsite availability was good (we booked only a week beforehand). There were 9 people at each campsite - us (couple in late 30s/early 40s), three other couples ranging from 50s to maybe early 70s, and a 25 year old woman from Montreal doing the whole trail solo. It was really nice sharing mealtimes at the hut together, though it'd be pretty crowded with 20+ people.

As for the flowers - wow. I know people say it often, but the Grampians in October is utterly mindblowing with the number and variety of plants in flower.

For us, day 2 (Barigar - Gar) was the standout. We just kept stopping and saying "wow!" So beautiful. The Gar campsite did feel a bit overly exposed though. It was ok for us (a bit windy and rainy but fine), but would be a bit scary on a very windy night, especially if you missed out on the more sheltered sites.

Day 1 was sunny and blue skies, while the next three were overcast and a bit threatening. It rained each night, but never during the day except for a brief spot of drizzle on the 4th day. It was very cold at night though. The poor solo traveller hadn't packed enough warm stuff and had a couple of very rough nights. We all lent her what we could to get her through to Halls Gap where she could buy some warmer gear.

I know there's a lot of negativity about the pricing, but personally, after doing these 4 days, I don't really agree with it. It's a super high quality trail, an amazing experience, and $25/night is honestly not that much. $75 in campsite fees for a 4 day hike seems reasonable to me. There are plenty of other hikes you can do for free. And there are probably other ways you can hike the Peaks trail without using the official campsites.

I thought the distances might feel a bit short, but they were perfect for our level of fitness and experience. (Both had done a lot of hiking in the past, but not in peak shape). Parks Vic seems reluctant to give time indications on the website, which was a bit odd. Also, on the first day (I think) there was an information panel that said the next campsite was 4.5 hours away, while a sign right next to it said 7 hours. (Generally, these signs, which said about 7 hours, were fairly accurate for us including lunch. We were faster on the last day though.)

The one negative for us was the tent platforms, particularly the first night (Barigar) which didn't have enough chain anchor points. Even though our tent was pretty much the ideal type for this platform (a Big Agnes hiking tent) we found it pretty fiddly getting the tent anchored and properly tensioned. The young woman had a longer tunnel style tent and we really struggled to get it set up well. Next time I'd definitely bring a few extra bits of guy rope, wire etc to give more flexibility. On the plus side, the sites were perfectly level, and I think there's a thermal benefit in being off the ground.

We found the water situation somewhat confusing, but because there had been recent rain, weren't too concerned. But for reference: there are large water tanks at each campsite (Barigar, Gar, Werdug), but they are not "serviced" (PV doesn't top them up if they run dry). Then there are additional, smaller water tanks at various points on the way, like Troopers Creek Campground, and a road crossing not long before Werdug, which *are* serviced. Plus quite a few creeks. So I think in summer you would base your water strategy around the serviced tanks, while in winter/spring you could rely on the campsite tanks.

So overall, a super positive experience. It was also pretty amazing to hike into civilisation at the end without some boring road slog or low quality trail through farmland or similar. Instead, you're in the NP, then suddenly in a community garden, then in Halls Gap, ready for a coffee and a big lunch.

I'm planning to do another 3-4 days next October, then probably again the year after. A walk this good is worth savouring, rather than bingeing all 13 days at once. (I live in Melbourne, so it's fairly accessible - a different story for people from further away).
Last edited by stevage on Tue 10 Oct, 2023 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevage
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Grampians Peaks Trail - Tent Platforms

Postby stevage » Tue 10 Oct, 2023 12:01 pm

Jack Doolan wrote:Hello

My daughter has arranged a 3 day bonding exercise next weekend along the last three day section. She has booked both campsites for 2 people ($100.80 for the two of us) however, when I read the parks website it suggests one platform is suitable for one two person tent. We were intending to take the Durston 1P for her and the Nemo Dragonfly 2 P for me. Did see a pic in this thread of a tent on a platform and it looks a bit squeeze for two. For those with direct experience of the GPT, are we going to fit?

Assuming the platforms on the last section are similar to the first section, I think it may be a struggle to squeeze in two tents on a standard platform and get them both adequately secured and tensioned. The main limitation will be the lack of anchor points, and having to share them.

Bring extra guy ropes, occies etc to give yourself more options. If there are spare platforms, obviously you will be fine.
stevage
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

PreviousNext

Return to Victoria