Northen Circuit Cathedral ranges advice needed!

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Northen Circuit Cathedral ranges advice needed!

Postby Staceykate » Sun 03 Jan, 2021 5:43 pm

Hi,

Just wondering what's the best way to do the Northern circuit at Cathedral Ranges? Going tomorrow with some teenagers, so the "easiest" way is best...

Cooks mill and up jawbone and around, or from neds gully up neds gully track and around? I'm 90% sure we will skip the little cathedral peak...

Thanks in advance!!
Staceykate
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Northen Circuit Cathedral ranges advice needed!

Postby commando » Sun 03 Jan, 2021 9:46 pm

The map shows it as anti clockwise.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby lbogliolo » Mon 04 Jan, 2021 8:36 pm

How did you go? I did it some weeks ago starting from Neds Gully and going anti-clockwise, found the beginning quite hard as it's a long way up. I had the impression that starting from Cooks Mill and going up Jawbone would have been easier/nicer... keen to do it again some time, so let me know what you think! Also planning to do the southern circuit soon.
lbogliolo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Staceykate » Sat 09 Jan, 2021 8:09 am

Was a great walk! We did Cooks mill and up to Jawbone... it wasn't an easy first hour, as it was uphill most of the way and the group was warming up so a bit slow! But we were happy with the walk! It is challenging - most were sore the next day - I had my big pack on with extra water etc for some in the crew. I couldn't do it as an overnight with a pack - the rock scrambling across the top was hard enough with the pack I had on, and it didn't even have the top piece on! Hubby and I had done more walks than most so we fared better at the end, but I was proud of the crew for pushing through. The teenagers were troopers!

The views were incredible, south and north jawbone were both great and then across the ridge being about to see so far was really special. The ridge was less physically tiring because you were going slower from the rocks along the ridge but definitely required concentration.
Staceykate
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Victoria