The Grey Hills

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

The Grey Hills

Postby debkah » Wed 02 Dec, 2020 7:07 am

If anyone has been along The Grey Hills from Mt Arthur, can you give me an update please.
debkah
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: The Grey Hills

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 02 Dec, 2020 12:04 pm

I have heard that PV have cleared the route a bit and BTAC did some track work on the lower section of the Mt. Arthur route down to Bogong Ck. saddle.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Xplora » Thu 03 Dec, 2020 5:51 am

debkah wrote:If anyone has been along The Grey Hills from Mt Arthur, can you give me an update please.

I can't give an update of recent times but PCV may be right. If you want to find out then call Mt. Beauty PV. I haven't done it in a few years but it was not bad then but that is quite subjective. Others may think it was terrible. The track can be a little indistinct at times and I asked PV to put up the odd track marker in places where some may get confused. There is no track from the end of the Grey Hills to Spion Kopje and you just have to do the best you can depending on which way you are headed.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 03 Dec, 2020 6:47 am

When we walked it a few years ago we found the " track"to
be hard to follow coming down off Mt. Arthur towards the old Helipad. The "Track" along the Grey Hills Ridge line was indistinct and we just stayed high on the ridge . It is quite scenic but I would recommend avoid walking this route when it is hot and humid. Watch out for snakes!.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Thu 03 Dec, 2020 8:57 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote: The "Track" along the Grey Hills Ridge line was indistinct and we just stayed high on the ridge .
Only at times. For the most part it is easy to follow
paidal_chalne_vala wrote:It is quite scenic but I would recommend avoid walking this route when it is hot and humid.

Very scenic indeed. Walking in the mountains in summer drops 10 degrees from the lowland air temp. A hot day would be 25 degrees. PCV carried way too much on this trip and that made him drink more and the hills were harder. There is no water until either end of the Grey Hills.
paidal_chalne_vala wrote: Watch out for snakes!.

We found ants to be more of problem with no place along the track to stop without being attacked. The ants love the sweaty pack also so make sure to brush it off thoroughly before putting it on your back.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wander » Thu 03 Dec, 2020 1:32 pm

I did wander the Grey Hills years ago with my mum. She was no spring chook but the shrubbery was not enough to stop her.

The track was faint here and there but pretty simple to follow, it really is a follow your nose route and you'll be right.

I'd be disappointed if was proper like cleared and turned into a highway. It is an absolute gem of a route being surrounded by hills.

I do remember finding a few snakes, doing the Mexican Hat Dance over a Tiger between the tracks of the tram line was memorable.
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby debkah » Thu 03 Dec, 2020 1:54 pm

Thanks for all the info. Covers everything I was wanting to find out.
debkah
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 03 Dec, 2020 5:43 pm

Yes, the ants were everywhere as they often are in summer in that region.I carried 3 litres of water and ran out just after Mt. Arthur. I am a gulper and even if I was carrying no pack I would still drink a lot of water. That is how I am .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Fri 04 Dec, 2020 5:27 am

wander wrote:I'd be disappointed if was proper like cleared and turned into a highway. It is an absolute gem of a route being surrounded by hills.

As would I and I totally agree with you about it being a gem. There are a couple of places where people get a little confused but those with the skills usually work out pretty quick they are going the wrong way. I recall coming out of a bit of scrub to a clearing which led nth East and down. The clearing beckons you to follow but the track is actually straight ahead and hard to see. I like it the way it is which is why I only suggested a few markers but it would not bother me if there were none. I have not heard of any plans to clear it apart from a bit of cutting back scrub over the track.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Camminata » Sun 06 Dec, 2020 12:28 pm

Walked it from helipad to spion kopje March 2019 , lost the track half way up to Mt Arthur bit of bush bashing involved , looking forward to walking it again hopefully cleared a little :)
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://hikingtales55.blogspot.com

Postby debkah » Sun 06 Dec, 2020 5:11 pm

Yes, Mt Arthur track can be faint at times.
debkah
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Victoria