Advice needed : Bon Accord

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Advice needed : Bon Accord

Postby Lonsdale1970 » Tue 01 Dec, 2020 9:47 am

We are walking up from Harrrietville to Fed Hut and camping night. Then we are walking from Fed Hut to along Razorback and down Bon Accord. Is Bon Accord well marked? Have a couple of 14 year old boys and don't want to blow them up. Planning to walk from Fed Hut and camp at Washington Creek. Razorback flat and Bon Accord down hill so think it should be an easy walk. Any thoughts? Has anyone walked it recently? Should i look to camp at the ruins and then head down next day? I have not done this loop before and just need bit of advice, mainly on Bon Accord and what to expect. Thanks!!!
Lonsdale1970
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Advice needed : Bon Accord

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 01 Dec, 2020 11:10 am

My knowledge of this Spur is 2nd hand.
I think the problem with the Bon Accord hut ruins is there is no water nearby, so you'll need to carry water from Fed. Hut or spring on NW spur track with you.
I've seen pictures of the turnoff, being marked with a sign, it's reached when you get up on the Hotham side of the big dipper. I can rustle up a map or Chapman's notes if that would help.
I spoke to rangers about the spur back in March, as I was planning on dragging my then 9 year old up it. He bailed before Washington creek, so never got to see it.
I believe it's very steep from Washington creek, with some switchbacks until you get to Bon Accord hill, then it levels out (relatively speaking) for a while, then it's steep again near the top. (Reverse that order coming down from the Razorback).
EDIT: Give parks a ring if all else fails, they'll have current information.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lonsdale1970 » Tue 01 Dec, 2020 11:17 am

Thanks !!
Lonsdale1970
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 01 Dec, 2020 11:28 am

Are you after maps/notes?
Also: If you've got a smartphone. You can install Avenza app on iPhone (maybe android?) you can get a free map with this track by going to the store and typing 'GetLost Feathertop' or 'GetLost 8324-2 Feathertop' and you should be able to download/install a topo map of the area you're walking and it will indicate where you are on the map when you check it, so you can see if you're on the right path.
I walked up to Fed. Hut. about 2 weeks ago with my 10 year old and the track had a bit of deadfall after Tobias Gap (about halfway up) which was a bit of a pain. I found it a bit hard near the top, as I was getting cooked by the heat and weighed down by my lazy iso body, but a couple of fit 14 year olds should fly up it.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lonsdale1970 » Tue 01 Dec, 2020 11:31 am

I think i am good thanks - have GPS, map, compass etc so squared of on that. Was just trying to get my head around the walk from Fed hut, along the razorback and down the Bon Accord. Thinking downhill should make it pretty easy and given that a walk from Fed Hut to Washington Creek which is about 15.5km should not be too bad.
Lonsdale1970
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 01 Dec, 2020 11:42 am

Lonsdale1970 wrote: ... down the Bon Accord. Thinking downhill should make it pretty easy ...

Depends what your knees are like.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby commando » Tue 01 Dec, 2020 2:14 pm

There is nothing easy in that part of the world carrying a 20 kilo pack and i am guessing with the two boys along you will also be the pack hauling tent carrier.
The Bon Accord is not far from the Diamantina hut on the Hotham road, myself i always go up and down the North West Spur which gives more time for exploratory
no pack venturing from the MUMC hut with water in the spring near there, climbing Mt Feathertop without a pack is for me a more enjoyable outing.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Xplora » Wed 02 Dec, 2020 6:05 am

Firstly, the Bon Accord turnoff is clearly marked from the Razorback and once on the spur you should have no problem. The other things to consider is total distance for the day. NNW has also intimated how taxing it will be on your body. It is a very long spur and you do need to carry extra water as mentioned also. If the boys are fit then you can make it in a day from Fed hut. Most outdoor ed hiking programs start with 14 yo but this is a bit further than what would normally be asked of them in a day. Once past the ruins, there are not many places to pitch a few tents so you would have to make a decision early. I don't want to put you off. I think it would be a great experience but you need to know if the boys are up for it mentally as well as physically. I think you would know this once you have climbed Bungalow spur. If they struggle with that then consider returning the same way. Going down via NW spur would still mean a 5km walk back to Harrietville and NW spur is long and steep down also.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 02 Dec, 2020 7:16 am

Xplora wrote:Firstly, the Bon Accord turnoff is clearly marked from the Razorback and once on the spur you should have no problem. The other things to consider is total distance for the day. NNW has also intimated how taxing it will be on your body. It is a very long spur and you do need to carry extra water as mentioned also. If the boys are fit then you can make it in a day from Fed hut. Most outdoor ed hiking programs start with 14 yo but this is a bit further than what would normally be asked of them in a day. Once past the ruins, there are not many places to pitch a few tents so you would have to make a decision early. I don't want to put you off. I think it would be a great experience but you need to know if the boys are up for it mentally as well as physically. I think you would know this once you have climbed Bungalow spur. If they struggle with that then consider returning the same way. Going down via NW spur would still mean a 5km walk back to Harrietville and NW spur is long and steep down also.

I second your comment about if they find the Bungalow hard, then go back down the Bungalow.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 02 Dec, 2020 12:09 pm

The Bon Accord spur is the never ending torture spur. I have walked up and down it with full spring snow camping gear. I have not been back that way since.
The last stint from the hut ruins to the Razorback gains something like 400-500 M. in elevation in 2 kms. That is seriously steep be it ascending / or descending.
The Bungalow spur is seemingly made for newbies and even that causes some newbies to sweat , gasp and swear and complain.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 02 Dec, 2020 1:15 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote: The Bungalow spur is seemingly made for newbies and even that causes some newbies to sweat , gasp and swear and complain.

Hey! I resemble that remark!
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lonsdale1970 » Wed 02 Dec, 2020 2:44 pm

Thank you everyone for comments. Hopefully this gives them a taste of what we all love.
Lonsdale1970
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 02 Dec, 2020 3:36 pm

Lonsdale1970 wrote:Hopefully this gives them a taste of what we all love.

Mmm. Suffering, long waterless ridges, dry camps, wrecked knees. Yup, much fun. A PLB and ambo insurance are good. More seriously, it's a long, steep ridge with two escape routes, down and up. Make sure that you have adequate water and time. An early start is advised, but I say that about all summer walks.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby stry » Wed 02 Dec, 2020 6:12 pm

Lonsdale1970 wrote:Thank you everyone for comments. Hopefully this gives them a taste of what we all love.

Be cautious about the taste that they end up with. 14 year olds, no matter how frisky they may appear, have very little grunt compared to an adult or even usually a late teen.

Very easy to turn them off.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby msrlo » Wed 02 Dec, 2020 8:18 pm

And don't get excited when you see the sign down to Harrietville as only 9ks, it's actually 13ks
msrlo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 03 Dec, 2020 6:54 am

There is another route to the Diamantina hut. I have not walked this one yet. It goes from Harrietville up to Gunn's helipad on 4 x 4 tracks and pops out at Buckland gap. From there you follow the road until you reach the Diamantina hut. Then you start the Razorback walk until you reach the BA spur junction. From there you descend to Washington Creek and back to Harrietville. With day packs, lots of food and water and a 6 am start in summer it could be done as a day loop. You'd be wrecked by the time you finished it!.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Return to Victoria