Grampians camping safety

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Grampians camping safety

Postby Staceykate » Sat 22 Aug, 2020 1:58 pm

Hi,

I am thinking of doing a trip to the Grampians and camping in one of the campgrounds run by Parks VIC (once we are allowed of course)

My husband is a bit worried about leaving stuff there and then doing long day hikes. I can't imagine someone would seriously seal a tent or a mattress... obviously we would leave valuables like computers etc in a locked car.

Has anyone had experience/advice about this sort of thing? We've only ever camped in caravan parks/similar or places where we have been with our gear the whole time - never left it in a more "remote" setting like the campgrounds run by Vic Parks.

Thanks in advance! Our hiking dreams are keeping us sane at the moment :lol: :lol: :cry:
Staceykate
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Grampians camping safety

Postby commando » Sat 22 Aug, 2020 2:53 pm

A ute broke down near where i live with tray full of garden mulch... day by day i watched the garden mulch disappear
until there was none left. Thieves are like foxes once they get a scent, it all over.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Baeng72 » Sat 22 Aug, 2020 3:18 pm

Staceykate wrote: I can't imagine someone would seriously seal a tent or a mattress... obviously we would leave valuables like computers etc in a locked car.

It's be nice if they seem-sealed your tent for you while you're out for the day. :D

If you're worried, lock everything in the car for the day I guess.

What camp grounds are you thinking of? Plantation? Mt Zero?
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Eremophila » Sat 22 Aug, 2020 5:28 pm

Hi Staceykate,

Generally the more remote the campsite, the less chance of theft. If a campsite is accessible by vehicle - more chance of drunken yobbos and easier to make off with your items.

That said, most folks respect others’ property whilst camping.

The Grampians campgrounds are generally fully booked over holiday seasons, long weekends etc and it’s reasonable to assume they will be at capacity immediately when Victorian restrictions are eased. You’ll have a lot of city dwellers and families around the place.

Your tent and sleeping gear should be fine. If you’re worried, stash everything else in the car. What would your average thief target? An esky? Nice chairs?

Another tactic is to have used underwear laying around in your tent... or in the current climate, perhaps some used face masks :lol:
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ChrisJHC » Sun 23 Aug, 2020 9:08 am

I take small, valuable items with me in my day pack (ie phone, wallet, car keys etc). I don’t carry anything electronic larger than a Kindle so it doesn’t add up to much.

Anything larger stays behind.

I try not to leave anything in my car. I also make it obvious that there’s nothing in there to stop people breaking in just to have a look. When I’d do take spare clothes for the drive home, I leave them loose in the back seat so it’s obvious what they are.

No issues so far.
ChrisJHC

Postby north-north-west » Sun 23 Aug, 2020 9:28 am

You have to be rather unlucky to have stuff nicked, I reckon, especially in the busier areas.
I once inadvertently left a car window down while out on a long daywalk (Hollow Stapylton circuit). Nothing was touched. Of course, that may have had something to do with the grottiness and general chaos that usually exists inside my vehicles ...
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Staceykate » Sun 23 Aug, 2020 10:01 am

Thanks! We were thinking of Troopers Creek campground... looks like there's about 13 sites plus a couple for groups. So probably big enough that there will be people around.

I couldn't imagine anyone stealing a tent (thanks for the spelling pickup there!!) and yes will lock anything we need to in the car. Not that there would be much! And yes our car camping gear is not fancy... I wouldn't want to leave the hike stuff out, but we will have that with us.

Sounds like the hubby doesn't need to worry :lol:

I had on my list 3 day hikes - Mt Difficult, Briggs Bluff and Mt Stapylton loop. Would love to hear anyone's experiences with any of them!!
Staceykate
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby north-north-west » Sun 23 Aug, 2020 10:37 am

The Stapylton/Hollow circuit is the hardest, as part is off track and requires reasonable scrambling skills. There is a good trip report with photos somewhere in the forum. The other two have good tracks and are both well worth the effort. Gar (Mt Difficult) is my favourite place in the Grumps.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 23 Aug, 2020 10:40 am

Staceykate wrote:Thanks! We were thinking of Troopers Creek campground... looks like there's about 13 sites plus a couple for groups. So probably big enough that there will be people around.

I couldn't imagine anyone stealing a tent (thanks for the spelling pickup there!!) and yes will lock anything we need to in the car. Not that there would be much! And yes our car camping gear is not fancy... I wouldn't want to leave the hike stuff out, but we will have that with us.

Sounds like the hubby doesn't need to worry :lol:

I had on my list 3 day hikes - Mt Difficult, Briggs Bluff and Mt Stapylton loop. Would love to hear anyone's experiences with any of them!!

This recent thread has some info on Mt Difficult hikes: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=31295
I've never been to Troopers Creek. My understanding is you can't hike from Troopers Creek campground to Mt. Difficult or Briggs Bluff anymore.
I think the track was closed due to fire damage.
I've hiked to the intersection of the track from Roses Gap/Beehive falls with the Mt. Difficult circuit, so past Briggs Bluff junction, but no further.
If you go via Beehive falls, there's some short sharp steps just after the falls, and if you take then new track alignment, again a few kilometers on and, steps up to the Briggs bluff junction, but the last set wasn't as bad I didn't find.
The old alignment is pretty much straight up steep rocks after the steps from Beehive falls (I didn't make it all way up the day I tried a few weeks ago, very slippery when wet, so went along new alignment).
There are other folks on this site (and in the linked thread) who've done the whole hike, so hopefully they can help you out.

mtd.JPG
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Staceykate » Tue 25 Aug, 2020 1:02 pm

Thanks so much!! That thread was a bit overwhelming... looks like I need to do some decent research on these hikes if some have parts closed now. Lots of good reading there to try get my head around!
The reason for staying at Troopers was that it was close to both those tracks - so if we can't access them anymore, then it will be worth thinking of something else.
Staceykate
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 25 Aug, 2020 3:50 pm

Staceykate wrote:Thanks so much!! That thread was a bit overwhelming... looks like I need to do some decent research on these hikes if some have parts closed now. Lots of good reading there to try get my head around!
The reason for staying at Troopers was that it was close to both those tracks - so if we can't access them anymore, then it will be worth thinking of something else.

Apologies, I have an unfailing ability to complicate issues that aren't that complicated. :)

Troopers creek campground is on Roses Gap road.
The start of the walk to Briggs Bluff and Mt Difficult is on Roses Gap road (Near Roses Gap Recreation center).
It looks like it's less that 5km to drive north from Trooper Creek to Roses Gap/Beehive carpark.
(I was just pointing out that I've read it's not possible to hike directly from Troopers Creek up Mt. Difficult, then on to Briggs Bluff. The start is now Roses Gap/Beehive Falls carpark).
troop.JPG
troop.JPG (19.98 KiB) Viewed 9682 times
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 27 Aug, 2020 7:27 pm

I have walked all of these
<<Mt Difficult, Briggs Bluff and Mt Stapylton loop>>
within the past 3-4 years.

You can access Mt Gar/ Difficult from the 4 WD track that starts at Boroka Lookout ( I think that is it ). Then after driving along a way there is a foot track/management only jeep track to the new camp site complete with a drop loo and water tank. Then the route leads up to Briggs Bluff junction and Mt. Gar./Difficult I went up there one winter with two friends and the fog was so dense I could not see anything. It was still a good day walk .
The all terrain tyres came in handy on my vehicle.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby CraigVIC » Thu 27 Aug, 2020 8:13 pm

Troopers has recently reopened and everything is brand new, tables, toilets, firepits etc. It's very close by sealed road to Beehive Falls car park which is the obvious and sensible access to Briggs Bluff or Mt Difficult. The access directly from Troopers (via footpad to Dead Bullock falls then GPT) has fences and signs advising it is closed/under construction. Never had a problem with theft at a campground.
CraigVIC

Postby Staceykate » Fri 28 Aug, 2020 8:46 pm

Oh wow!! So awesome to know thanks so much :) :)
Staceykate
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Victoria